What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad has to go

This^^^ In a perfect world Bey & Kin stay & fingers crossed Barthelemy brings an offset skill set to Wright...if they go you've got almost no bench points other than the unknown incoming. If Bey goes...Battey will be in constant foul trouble and it could ruin him mentally over the course of the season.
This season every time you saw Daniels get up off the bench Tad was throwing in towel, no one else can make a 3 so...here you go kid light it up cause you're only in to shoot 3s or buy us a few minutes of rest..I'll overlook your defense for the points.
Now given what has transpired, this is what we're looking at as a core group next season:
Battey
Bey
Schwartz
Barthelemy

Wright
Parquet
Daniels
Kountz (I honestly believe he leaves or is asked to leave)
Walton
Dombek
Strating
Ryder
O'Brien (RS)
Clifford (RS)

The starting five (if they show up each night) is strong, but that bench is NOT GOOD. AGAIN. It may sound cruel, but I think Walton and Kountz need to be presented with the opportunity to leave on their terms. One as a medical, and one as a straight transfer. Then go out and try to find a 6-7 to 6-10 JUCO post player to take some pressure off Battey and Bey, and a 6-4 to 6-6 swing slasher that takes pressure off Kin and Schwartz.

Now given what has transpired, this is what we're looking at as a core group next season:
Battey
Bey
Schwartz
Barthelemy
Wright

Parquet
Daniels
Kountz (I honestly believe he leaves or is asked to leave)
Walton
Dombek
Strating
Ryder
O'Brien (RS)
Clifford (RS)

The starting five (if they show up each night) is strong, but that bench is NOT GOOD. AGAIN. It may sound cruel, but I think Walton and Kountz need to be presented with the opportunity to leave on their terms. One as a medical, and one as a straight transfer. Then go out and try to find a 6-7 to 6-10 JUCO post player to take some pressure off Battey and Bey, and a 6-4 to 6-6 swing slasher that takes pressure off Kin and Schwartz.

Heard three weeks ago that the team was working on getting a JUCO post player for next year and that "they would find the attrition to do it". Can't imagine that has changed.

I agree with your take on Kountz and Walton and would add Strating to grad xfer out to a place more appropriate for his skill level. Clifford's skills may translate to a slasher but not for next year. I'm still scratching my head on taking the Columbine SG.

Whether Bey stays or not we need immediate help in the front-court. If Bey leaves we'd see Ryder or Dombek starting at the 4. No way we get to 15 wins with that.

I think its more change for the sake of change isn't the answer. If there's an upgrade out there for us, that's another conversation.
I don't want Tad to go. I'd just love it if he realized this giant hole in his recruiting strategy (lack of finding creative guards) is holding his teams back year after year. The sheer lack of quickness on this team and previous is galling on both ends of the floor.

I don't want Tad to go. I'd just love it if he realized this giant hole in his recruiting strategy (lack of finding creative guards) is holding his teams back year after year. The sheer lack of quickness on this team and previous is galling on both ends of the floor.

I don't know if a change in the answer right now. This is the kind of collapse that should force some evaluation of what's going on up there.

I don't know if a change in the answer right now. This is the kind of collapse that should force some evaluation of what's going on up there.

It’s just the natural order of things dude. The basketball team has to regress back to being bad so the football team can rise from the ashes and take over this basketball school.

One cannot succeed while the other is succeeding. We have prayed to the gods and basketball was the sacrificial lamb.

Schwartz shows flashes of that potential, but the dude is a junior. We know what kind of player he is by now. Can he get to the basket and finish? Does he create for other people? Can he take his man into the low post and beat him? What is his talent? There was a time when he was a 3-pt threat (when left open), but that clearly is not the case right now.

What is objectively false about saying that these players do NOT have Pac12 level talent? (Or hell, even P5 level talent). We've seen them all play significant minutes.

Parquet
Kountz
Daniels
Walton
Strating
You said that no one would look at Schwartz and see him as talented, in the context of Boyle's decision to recruit him. That is inconsistent with him being a well rated recruit.

Parquet is getting consistent minutes and earning them. Over 1/3rd of his career minutes have come in the last 11 games. You could say he fails to fill the boxscore or is inconsistent. He's a sophomore with <600 minutes on the floor, a reasonable take is he's shown the ability to be a rotation player. but not to be a star. .

Walton has not panned out, he's fine on the roster as a local kid who had huge upside if he could get strong legs underneath him. We saw flashes of that in 2018 with a handful of double digit scoring games. It was a risk, but more scholarships than rotation spots there should be some of these risks.

Kountz has definitely shown flashes of the rim attacking explosiveness that you're pining for. The consistent (or really any eye-popping) results are not there, the physical talent is.

Your argument reads as though Tad hasn't assembled a roster capable of competing in a mid-major conference. He's consistently in or above the middle 1/3rd of the Pac12 with the players he has in the fold. It's logically impossible to be a subpar recruiter, with subpar talent, subpar development, and subpar in game coaching, yet somehow achieve slightly above average results.

Tad has CU as an average to slightly above average Pac12 basketball team. I'm not satisified with it and would like much better too; I'm just not buying the hyperbole that it's an unmitigated **** show.

It’s just the natural order of things dude. The basketball team has to regress back to being bad so the football team can rise from the ashes and take over this basketball school.

One cannot succeed while the other is succeeding. We have prayed to the gods and basketball was the sacrificial lamb.

*looks at the state of the football team*

giphy.gif

Has either of the programs been nationally relevant for more than a month or two in a row at any time in the last decade?

You said that no one would look at Schwartz and see him as talented, in the context of Boyle's decision to recruit him. That is inconsistent with him being a well rated recruit.

Parquet is getting consistent minutes and earning them. Over 1/3rd of his career minutes have come in the last 11 games. You could say he fails to fill the boxscore or is inconsistent. He's a sophomore with <600 minutes on the floor, a reasonable take is he's shown the ability to be a rotation player. but not to be a star. .

Walton has not panned out, he's fine on the roster as a local kid who had huge upside if he could get strong legs underneath him. We saw flashes of that in 2018 with a handful of double digit scoring games. It was a risk, but more scholarships than rotation spots there should be some of these risks.

Kountz has definitely shown flashes of the rim attacking explosiveness that you're pining for. The consistent (or really any eye-popping) results are not there, the physical talent is.

Your argument reads as though Tad hasn't assembled a roster capable of competing in a mid-major conference. He's consistently in or above the middle 1/3rd of the Pac12 with the players he has in the fold. It's logically impossible to be a subpar recruiter, with subpar talent, subpar development, and subpar in game coaching, yet somehow achieve slightly above average results.

Tad has CU as an average to slightly above average Pac12 basketball team. I'm not satisified with it and would like much better too; I'm just not buying the hyperbole that it's an unmitigated **** show.

Schwartz was clearly overrated, based on the skill set we've seen him exhibit. Good player at times, but not someone anyone would look at right now and say "wow, that kid has lots of talent."

Kountz has thrown down a few dunks, he clearly can elevate quickly ... but his handle is poor and for every good play he shows, he does 4-5 other bad things (dribbling head down into a sea of defenders, bricking jumpers, weak passes that result in turnovers).

He is just the latest in a LONG line of guard recruit fails for Tad ... Brown, Nikolic, Talton, Hopkins, Stalzer, Fletcher, Collier, Peters, Akyazili. Fletcher and Hopkins went elsewhere and excelled, but were total flops at CU. Collier developed into a decent 6th man by the end, but we envisioned him as a 3-4 year leader like we have with Kin.

I agree with your take on Kountz and Walton and would add Strating to grad xfer out to a place more appropriate for his skill level. Clifford's skills may translate to a slasher but not for next year. I'm still scratching my head on taking the Columbine SG.

Whether Bey stays or not we need immediate help in the front-court. If Bey leaves we'd see Ryder or Dombek starting at the 4. No way we get to 15 wins with that.
I agree with this. I don't see this move giving us much of anything in the long run. And before the responses start flowing in, yes I've seen him play in person.

Tad runs a seemingly clean program and has moderate success. That is enough for basketball at CU. Tad shouldn't go anywhere.

His contract should not be renewed each December in the middle of the season. Annual review should be done each year in April or May after sitting down and reviewing the past year and discussing the next year. After 10 years I really want to see him become less predictable on defense and sometimes double team a player that is killing us in the paint. Watch the OSU film and figure out how we can use that press to wear teams out at altitude.

I’m not the one calling it a rough patch. He’s no better than Ricardo Patton. I love the it’s ok attitude. If Gonzaga of all places can can have a good team why can’t CU with what 1/100 of the budget. The low expectations around here is embarrassing.

I’m not the one calling it a rough patch. He’s no better than Ricardo Patton. I love the it’s ok attitude. If Gonzaga of all places can can have a good team why can’t CU with what 1/100 of the budget. The low expectations around here is embarrassing.

Gonzaga is very close to a recruiting hotbed.

Gonzaga has relaxed their academic standards for recruits.

Gonzaga has a conference they can win without even trying.

Gonzaga struck when the iron was hot and got lucky.

If it was so easy to be Gonzaga we’d see a lot more Gonzaga’s.

He's a step up from Ricardo and the second best coach in CU history. I'd love to raise expectations but we have to invest to do that. We have not

I disagree with you on LOB. I worked a ton of their games this past year, and he's got the skill set to play at this level. He took over their Round of 16 game in the 4th quarter (I think he had all of Columbines points). I think he can play major college ball, but I hope we can RS him. Id like to see him add muscle.

He's a step up from Ricardo and the second best coach in CU history. I'd love to raise expectations but we have to invest to do that. We have not
A new, better coach would demand more resources for basketball. It would be a signal of the program’s success being a priority. I agree that we have not made basketball success a priority yet. I guess we’ll see what the AD wants to do.

I disagree with you on LOB. I worked a ton of their games this past year, and he's got the skill set to play at this level. He took over their Round of 16 game in the 4th quarter (I think he had all of Columbines points). I think he can play major college ball, but I hope we can RS him. Id like to see him add muscle.

Is he more athletic than Maddox Daniels? Better shooter? Better defender?

I guess we'll find out because he's signed an LOI.

IMO 2's don't generally need to add muscle. I'd like to see him play right away and kills it.

For those keeping score, Boyle is now 4/9 in making the NCAA as head coach at CU.

You guys have some weird standards for CU hoops when Tad is on the hot seat and 2016 was quasi-magical.

I've watched every game like most, there were several games leading up to the slide that began the tell tail signs. The home loss to OSU, the road loss to Oregon and close games at home that shouldn't have been. Little things like players out of position to rebound, no one following their shot other than Wright, too much room at the arc and so on. I will also add this, I've noticed an increase in what was already dreadful that being officiating, somehow it got worse as the season progressed. I really missed the boat on Kountz at the end of last season thinking he would continue to mature and fill a role. IMO I don't believe Bey should jump after this season, he has a nice game but not one that will stand up for 82 games physically yes mentally no.
I was going to post something similar but you said it better than I can. This team was frustrating at times all season. A couple of games that come to mind were the CSU and Wyoming games. And the losses at home to OSU and NIU. A really good team does not lose those.

And individually we had really streaky players that weren’t consistent game by game. The biggest collapse of all, no question, was D’Shawn Schwartz. Inexplicable.

He was already 4/9 but you're right, he's still 4/9.
huh?

Boyle's first year at CU was 2010-2011. That's nine seasons including the 2019-2020 season.
CU made the tourney four times in those nine seasons: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016.

that's 4/9, and only true if including this most recent season.

where do we disagree?

huh?

Boyle's first year at CU was 2010-2011. That's nine seasons including the 2019-2020 season.
CU made the tourney four times in those nine seasons: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016.

that's 4/9, and only true if including this most recent season.

where do we disagree?

2010-11
2011-12
2012-13
2013-14
2014-15
2015-16
2016-17
2017-18
2018-19
2019-20

That’s 10 years.