What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2020 COVID Coaching Carousel

Franklin is having himself a miserable year this year. I think some of that an be attributed to COVID, but they look awful.

Both Franklin and Christobal are at schools that won’t flinch to pay whatever UT might offer. I think by mentioning those two, they just increased the price for their next head coach by at least 20%.
Cristobal and Franklin has some pretty bad luck coming into this year. I would expect both to look a lot better next year, especially oregon who lost a top 5 pick at qb, most of their o line and had their entire defensive backfield (might have been the best in the country) opt out before the season started.

penn state lost their best player and a top 10 pick to covid and had some terrible luck with their running back room but I do agree they shouldn't look as bad as this right now. It could be time for Franklin to move on though before things get sort of stale and he is always going to struggle to compete with Ohio State. At texas I believe he would have what it takes as a program to win it consistently and I don’t think he has that right now at PSU.

Reading the Texas 247 is pretty good reading. They are throwing out names like Dan Mullen and Brian Kelly. :ROFLMAO:
Well, they got Saban to flirt with them a few years ago, no? Only a handful of programs around the country have the money, prestige and resources to pull an elite coach from another elite level program, and UT is one of them.

Name the last elite coach they pulled from another elite program.
Well, that just doesn't happen very often, if ever, in general. Who was the last one? Urban Meyer from Florida to tOSU? Saban from LSU to Bama? Do you classify Jimbo from FSU to aTm as elite coach from elite program?

I think at that level when you're talking about 5-7 coaches in the country who are truly "elite", it mostly comes down to preference for those coaches.

Well, that just doesn't happen very often, if ever, in general. Who was the last one? Urban Meyer from Florida to tOSU? Saban from LSU to Bama? Do you classify Jimbo from FSU to aTm as elite coach from elite program?

I think at that level when you're talking about 5-7 coaches in the country who are truly "elite", it mostly comes down to preference for those coaches.

It does not happen, but Texas fans not only think it is possible, but probable.

There is ZERO reason for Kelly or Mullen to take that job.

Urban took a couple years off between UF and OSU and Saban did a stint with the Dolphins between LSU and Alabama.
So yeah, it really doesn’t ever happen. Jimbo from FSU to A&M is the closest thing I can think of. Maybe Sark from UW to USC. Maybe? I don’t think UW was elite at the time. Probably still isn’t.

Urban took a couple years off between UF and OSU and Saban did a stint with the Dolphins between LSU and Alabama.
So yeah, it really doesn’t ever happen. Jimbo from FSU to A&M is the closest thing I can think of. Maybe Sark from UW to USC. Maybe? I don’t think UW was elite at the time. Probably still isn’t.
Good call, I completely forgot about the time off in between for Urban and Saban.

I guess I just feel like while Brian Kelly and Dan Mullen are probably massive reaches, James Franklin and Mario Cristobal aren't. Granted Oregon and PSU may not be blue blood/elite programs, but they are just beneath that.

Good call, I completely forgot about the time off in between for Urban and Saban.

I guess I just feel like while Brian Kelly and Dan Mullen are probably massive reaches, James Franklin and Mario Cristobal aren't. Granted Oregon and PSU may not be blue blood/elite programs, but they are just beneath that.
And both of them come from schools that won’t hesitate to match whatever offer UT comes up with. Money isn’t an issue for Oregon and Penn State. While UT certainly has plenty of money, going after either of those two will cost a ****load just to get them to consider leaving. Add to that the political/culture nightmare that is UT football and I suspect they are going to have a much harder time finding their next coach than they think. They’ll probably go after a mid level P-5 coach at a winning program. That’s why Matt Campbell’s name seems so popular right now. UT can certainly pay a lot more than ISU would be willing to pay. If Campbell has his sights set on a B1G job, it might not be enough.

And both of them come from schools that won’t hesitate to match whatever offer UT comes up with. Money isn’t an issue for Oregon and Penn State. While UT certainly has plenty of money, going after either of those two will cost a ****load just to get them to consider leaving. Add to that the political/culture nightmare that is UT football and I suspect they are going to have a much harder time finding their next coach than they think. They’ll probably go after a mid level P-5 coach at a winning program. That’s why Matt Campbell’s name seems so popular right now. UT can certainly pay a lot more than ISU would be willing to pay. If Campbell has his sights set on a B1G job, it might not be enough.
Wonder if they’ve considered Kyle Wittingham. I hate having us playing against his teams. He’s always competitive, even when he was going through a new OC for several years.

Because they’ve screwed this up and have no where else to turn, I still think there is a chance that Texas goes back to Urban with a “write your own check” type offer that he eventually accepts.

Wonder if they’ve considered Kyle Wittingham. I hate having us playing against his teams. He’s always competitive, even when he was going through a new OC for several years.
He’s be a good choice, too. Although he doesn’t typically recruit at the level the big hats in Austin have come to expect. A lot is going to depend on who they can find who will be willing to put up with the toxic environment in Austin. I get the feeling that Whittingham wouldn’t put up with that, but back up a brinks truck to his doorstep and he might be.

Because they’ve screwed this up and have no where else to turn, I still think there is a chance that Texas goes back to Urban with a “write your own check” type offer that he eventually accepts.
Kind of like what MSU did with Tucker?

He’s be a good choice, too. Although he doesn’t typically recruit at the level the big hats in Austin have come to expect. A lot is going to depend on who they can find who will be willing to put up with the toxic environment in Austin. I get the feeling that Whittingham wouldn’t put up with that, but back up a brinks truck to his doorstep and he might be.
Given a choice Texas prefers to get somebody who has Texas ties and fits with their culture.

Whittingham is a Utah guy.

Not saying it couldn't happen but might be a rough fit.

Back