What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2020 COVID Coaching Carousel

Kind of like what MSU did with Tucker?
Yep. Texas is stuck. They can’t keep Herman at this point, they can’t get a HC from an elite school, so their options are to either trot out a coordinator from an elite school or find a way to get Urban to say yes.

There are 2 guys who can have any opening they want (and could even push a HC out if they really wanted a job) - Urban and Stoops. It doesn't seem like either is in a hurry to end his early retirement.

On Stoops-there's one scenario where I can see him returning to the sidelines, and it involves Lincoln Riley going to the NFL.

Yep. Texas is stuck. They can’t keep Herman at this point, they can’t get a HC from an elite school, so their options are to either trot out a coordinator from an elite school or find a way to get Urban to say yes.
such a shame awww GIF by cyprusgamer

He’s be a good choice, too. Although he doesn’t typically recruit at the level the big hats in Austin have come to expect. A lot is going to depend on who they can find who will be willing to put up with the toxic environment in Austin. I get the feeling that Whittingham wouldn’t put up with that, but back up a brinks truck to his doorstep and he might be.
Whittingham is not leaving Utah

Spot on. Urb knew what he was doing by leaking info to the media and making this flirtation so public. UT is now backed into a corner, and there are a lot of boosters who don't want UT left looking second rate.

Would they go for an NFL guy with Texas ties?

Reading the Texas 247 is pretty good reading. They are throwing out names like Dan Mullen and Brian Kelly. :ROFLMAO:
Yep, and those coaches will do exactly what all coaches do. Parlay that into a nice raise and/or extension. While Texas has more money than anyone else, it only goes so far. Right now, Texas is trying to buy their way out of this mess and that is not even remotely the problem.

Even number year. Next year they will be hunting for the National Championship. But seriously, Auburn is one of the more bipolar teams out there. They seem to oscillate between "championship contender" and "burn the entire thing to the ground" every year.

You're not wrong.

On Stoops-there's one scenario where I can see him returning to the sidelines, and it involves Lincoln Riley going to the NFL.
Didn't he take an XFL job? I could see him taking on a new challenge if a place that can win a championship (FSU, Michigan, etc.) and pay a fortune came calling.

Didn't he take an XFL job? I could see him taking on a new challenge if a place that can win a championship (FSU, Michigan, etc.) and pay a fortune came calling.

Yes-but I'm excluding that because they played this past spring. That might be possible-after his son (he's a WR for Oklahoma) now graduates, but for now I don't see it.

Am I crazy to wonder why Sark wouldn’t be a reasonable target for Texas. I’d probably put him on par with Franklin and Cristobal actually.

Whittingham is not leaving Utah

I see the fit may not be here for Texas, if they don't think Wittingham can recruit down there. However, I could see Whittingham having interest if he thinks that he can win a Natty there with better players. He does an excellent job developing players, so just being on par recruiting Texas may be enough to have a shot in Whittinham's mind. There is a ton of talent in Texas and it is the flagship school. Might be harder to bring in JUCOs. He would probably have to bring in some outside staff to recruit Texas.

Am I crazy to wonder why Sark wouldn’t be a reasonable target for Texas. I’d probably put him on par with Franklin and Cristobal actually.
That might be a town/booster setting that will test control of his alcoholism but I agree he would be a good choice for them.

I see the fit may not be here for Texas, if they don't think Wittingham can recruit down there. However, I could see Whittingham having interest if he thinks that he can win a Natty there with better players. He does an excellent job developing players, so just being on par recruiting Texas may be enough to have a shot in Whittinham's mind. There is a ton of talent in Texas and it is the flagship school. Might be harder to bring in JUCOs. He would probably have to bring in some outside staff to recruit Texas.
He would be a terrible fit there, IMO. He doesn't like huge booster interference and the political landscape that would be there at Texas. He doesn't have that at Utah and has full control to do what he wants without interference. He has found a nitch with recruiting Poly's in the state of Utah.

If Texas really wanted him, then they could most certainly name their price. However, Mack Brown was so good at Texas because he could recruit and was so good at handling the landscape that comes with Texas. Kyle is 61 and think their boosters and fan base would revolt if they named him coach. They want a massive name or young up and comer.

I don't see Stoops working for the evil Horns, but anything is possible I suppose. :D Hey, I've got an idea. How about Mack Brown again? Said the same to my Texas honk brother, people don't want that job because they won't get paid like a mofo. They don't want it because all the bull**** that comes with it.

Franklin is having himself a miserable year this year. I think some of that an be attributed to COVID, but they look awful.

Both Franklin and Christobal are at schools that won’t flinch to pay whatever UT might offer. I think by mentioning those two, they just increased the price for their next head coach by at least 20%.
No excuses. But look at opt outs and injuries.

About time for an update, update.

Open Jobs:

Utah State
- (h/t Duff) the carousel gets spinning with an 0-3 start leading to the dumping of Gary Anderson, well-traveled and now unemployed. Frank Maile (h/t DeNiro) interim. UPDATE: Arky St. Blake Anderson getting some run.

South Carolina- Muschamp out (h/t CarolinaBuff and DeNiro). $13MM buyout for Muschamp. Ouch. Early names, Hugh Freeze, Billy Napier, Jamey Chadwell, Rhett Lashlee, Luke Fickell and possibly Shane Beamer. UPDATE: Shane Beamer it is. (h/t DeNiro)

Vandy- Derek Mason canned after 27-55 record over 6 or so years. (h/t serenity buff) Early names: Jamey Chadwell, Jeff Fisher (not bloody likely IMO), Will Healy, Clark Lea ND DC. (h/t DeNiro) MikMac mentioned by numerous posters here, and actually, probably a good candidate. Jeff Monken and the ever popular Ken Nuamitoatloloaoaitolaotu from Navy mentioned (h/t TSchek) UPDATE: Virtually everyone throwing their hat in the ring. Vandy should enjoy the limelight, the Bevo dumpster fire is entering stage left... Additional names: Bill O'Brien, fmr. PSU/Texans HC, Bama RB coach Charles Huff, Buffalo HC Lane Leipold, AFA Troy Calhoun, LaTech Skipper Holtz.

FIlled jobs:

S. Miss
-Jay Hopson out. Bret Bielema, his gut, money and hot wife considered but not named. Will Hall, Tulane OC gets the nod. (h/t TSchek)

Possibles:

Tennessee-
Pruitt on thin ice, Hugh Freeze? (h/t ahoelsken)

Michigan- Harbaugh cannot beat anybody. Getting pantsed by Melvin Huckster doesn't help.

Tejas- Herman not getting it done. Rumors Urban Meyer is being pursued. UPDATE: Urbs dumps UT publicly. Cristobal and Perv. St.'s Franklin top 2 (h/t onealcd) This one has potential, Oil money, giant booster egos, SJW school fight song controversy, stay tuned.

Arizona- Sumlin may, or may not be on his way out.

fUCLA- Chipster, (see Sumlin above)

Other News:

Clay Helton
- Keeps coming back more like the Energizer Bunny

LSU- Bravely self-imposes one year bowl ban.

tOSU- 5 games is close enough, advance token to CCG.

Syracuse- Dino Babers gets dreaded vote of confidence despite 1-10 this year, 24-36 after five.

Boise- This one cracks me up. Bryan Harsin wants to leave the Mtn. Weenie Div. In what he describes as a football move, the Big West and West Coast Conferences are seen as upgrades.

Last edited:
I think you should remove LSU and tOSU from this list. Ryan Day isn't going anywhere neither is Coach O. I'd even say Chip Kelly is unlikely to be fired, and Clay Helton, for all the **** we give him, is likely to be playing in a NY6 game this season after going undefeated.

Back