What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2020 COVID Coaching Carousel

Maybe it’s a sign of age, but it seems like there are no good coaching candidates. I know that it’s not true, but the hires snd candidates all seem meh.

Maybe it’s a sign of age, but it seems like there are no good coaching candidates. I know that it’s not true, but the hires snd candidates all seem meh.
I think it’s all because the best G5 guys aren’t leaving their schools (fickell and Napier) and the top P5 coordinator also didn’t go anywhere (sark).

On the other hand, Andy Avalos seems like a shoe in for the Boise State job, which puts Oregon on the hunt for a defensive coordinator. Do they steal from other Pac-12 teams, like their two hires prior to Avalos? Do they take a shot at a lower league HC? If I were them, I would go hard after Jay Hill and Marcus Freeman

On the other hand, Andy Avalos seems like a shoe in for the Boise State job, which puts Oregon on the hunt for a defensive coordinator. Do they steal from other Pac-12 teams, like their two hires prior to Avalos? Do they take a shot at a lower league HC? If I were them, I would go hard after Jay Hill and Marcus Freeman
I don’t see the upside for him taking the Boise job, assuming he has his sights set on a P5 job at some point. Best case scenario, he maintains what BSU has done under every coach and is viewed as a nothing special. Worst case, he doesn’t do as well his predecessors and his prospects are slim to none.

I don’t see the upside for him taking the Boise job, assuming he has his sights set on a P5 job at some point. Best case scenario, he maintains what BSU has done under every coach and is viewed as a nothing special. Worst case, he doesn’t do as well his predecessors and his prospects are slim to none.

that's what I thought about Boise, but then Harsin got the Auburn job so apparently it does lead places

Avalos name has been thrown around for P5 jobs the past two years, so I think a few more years and he will get a HC gig at the P5. Maybe he feels most comfortable at BSU and could probably retire there if he wanted.

that's what I thought about Boise, but then Harsin got the Auburn job so apparently it does lead places
Yeah but he was like candidate number 7+ at Auburn, so while it definitely led places for him eventually, it felt like a guy who has been brought up for every opening the past 2-3 years but hadn’t really been seriously considered, until this cluster**** of a search.

Avalos name has been thrown around for P5 jobs the past two years, so I think a few more years and he will get a HC gig at the P5. Maybe he feels most comfortable at BSU and could probably retire there if he wanted.
Very slim margin for error at BSU if he does want a P5 job. And honestly, what if he doesn’t do as well as Harsin over 2-3 seasons? Just seems like an unnecessary career gamble. Unless it’s his dream job, of course

Yeah but he was like candidate number 7+ at Auburn, so while it definitely led places for him eventually, it felt like a guy who has been brought up for every opening the past 2-3 years but hadn’t really been seriously considered, until this cluster**** of a search.

Very slim margin for error at BSU if he does want a P5 job. And honestly, what if he doesn’t do as well as Harsin over 2-3 seasons? Just seems like an unnecessary career gamble. Unless it’s his dream job, of course

I tend to agree with your analysis on Harsin, it was a cluster search and pulling a young guy with almost an exclusive Boise/NW background is a stretch going to the SEC, much less a decent program in the SEC. I look at it in terms of the assistant coaches he can bring. Does he bring 1/2 of his Boise staff? Is he well known enough to attract ac's from the SEC footprint. It comes down to recruiting-- will Auburn via him and his AC's be able to attract enough recruits to be in the top 1/2 of the SEC?

Dan Hawkins was the ultimate dry well, but I also look at the assistant staff that he was able to attract. I suppose Helfrich was decent, in that he got the Oregon job, but he did not do a ton at CU and then matriculated to Oregon under Chip Kelly who really was the HC/OC... I know someone is going to say Auburn will be able to pay their assistants much more, but I think the allure is more than just $$.

Reading the Boise 247 message board, I didn’t realize they have no AD in place either, and there was some discussion that the university president and Harsin weren’t best friends. Personally, I wouldn’t take a job if I didn’t know who my boss was going to be. You almost have to hire an AD first. Throw in some really bad financial elements from the Mountain West Conference and that job isn’t all that great. Better than most G5 positions out west, but If I’m Kellen Moore or Andy Avalos, I’m sticking with my coordinator job. Avalos could probably leverage it to a small raise.

Isn’t he betting on himself either way, though? If he stays at Oregon, he’s banking on them having continued success, particularly defensively, which he can parlay to a P5 head coaching gig. If that defense underperforms, or the team underperforms, he potentially loses a lot of his luster. He takes the Boise job, and is banking that they have a machine in place relative to their peers where he can definitely continue the success and either stay there for the long haul (which might be a desirable option) or leverage his success to something better.

Are we sure that's not because Harsin wasn't that interested in leaving Boise until recently?

Arizona's president should probably take note of how this was done. Regardless of people's opinions on how they think Harsin will do at Auburn, the process was done precisely how it should on how to hire without booster influence.

This article really gives me a different perspective on how Auburn is doing work with their athletic department and I actually hope Harsin does well there.

Last edited:
Back