What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

Yeah guys, if you’re dogging the academic rep of U. Georgia, you’re barking up the wrong tree. Same with Florida. These are flagship schools in huge, populous states where their respective state governments are dumping a ton of public support into them.

The state of Colorado provides $5 bucks and ****ty regents.
Thanks.

I've always had a hard time believing that large, flagship public universities, even those that are highly regarded or "ranked" academically have the same challenges re athlete academics as the handful of smaller private P5 schools (Stanford, Wake, Duke, Northwestern, Vandy- I don't even put USC in the same category given their undergrad size of 21k students, ). Their challenges stem in part from the small undergrad enrollments that make it difficult to for mediocre to bad students to stay eligible and so on. Wake Forest has 5,800 undergrad students... I am sure they have very few "auditorium" type classes. North Carolina is a "good" public U, and look what they were up to.

All that aside, I think Stanford, Cal, UW, USC and UCLA were all considered good to great schools back when the PAC-8 and PAC-10 was a competitor for national titles. This isn't some new thing... It's just an easy deflection now that the league sucks.

I've always had a hard time believing that large, flagship public universities, even those that are highly regarded or "ranked" academically have the same challenges re athlete academics as the handful of smaller private P5 schools (Stanford, Wake, Duke, Northwestern, Vandy- I don't even put USC in the same category given their undergrad size of 21k students, ). Their challenges stem in part from the small undergrad enrollments that make it difficult to for mediocre to bad students to stay eligible and so on. Wake Forest has 5,800 undergrad students... I am sure they have very few "auditorium" type classes. North Carolina is a "good" public U, and look what they were up to.

All that aside, I think Stanford, Cal, UW, USC and UCLA were all considered good to great schools back when the PAC-8 and PAC-10 was a competitor for national titles. This isn't some new thing... It's just an easy deflection now that the league sucks.
Part of the problem I see is we were always able to point to how ****ty the academics at sec schools were. Can’t really do that now.

Lake must be desperate.

agree. when i read that......my first thoughts were UW's recent crap record against UO...and also remembering the specious, unpersuasive shift Hawkins made here from "winning national championships" to "doing it the right way".....after it was clear he wasn't succeeding at the former.

That’s a reason why he wouldn’t take the job here, but it’s not a reason why we wouldn’t at least pursue the possibility.
GA Southern had an open job, we don’t. I guess he didn’t want to wait until after the season to see what his options would be.

Whaaa???
#11 Public

#14 Public

#27 Public

Other than Berkeley and UCLA (and UDub in the Forbes) there’s not a Pac-12 public that can sniff Georgia.
Yeesh...

Ok, I'll admit our research has been more specific than 'best public universities', mostly because my daughter is looking at pre-med and my son is looking at engineering. I couldn't care less about philosophy degrees. So I apologize for not adding the asterisk.

But in the engineering school list, I had to page a LONG time before I gave up looking for Georgia. In the mean time, Stanford, UCLA, CAL, Washington, CU, Washington State all showed up.

I'm sure Georgia gets high marks for many things.

EDIT: Here's the engineering list I was looking at: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering-doctorate

EDIT 2: Maybe they don't have an engineering school. All of the P12 schools showed up on the list before UGA did (never did see them).

Last edited:
Yeesh...

Ok, I'll admit our research has been more specific than 'best public universities', mostly because my daughter is looking at pre-med and my son is looking at engineering. I couldn't care less about philosophy degrees. So I apologize for not adding the asterisk.

But in the engineering school list, I had to page a LONG time before I gave up looking for Georgia. In the mean time, Stanford, UCLA, CAL, Washington, CU, Washington State all showed up.

EDIT: Here's the engineering list I was looking at: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering-doctorate

EDIT 2: Maybe they don't have an engineering school. All of the P12 schools showed up on the list before UGA did (never did see them).
UGA has an engineering school, but it plays a distant second fiddle in state. The engineering school in the state is Georgia Tech, which compares favorably with all the PAC 12 institutions you mention. It’s among the best in the country.

Between The university of Georgia, Georgia Tech, and Emory University you have three world class academic institutions located within a 75 mile radius.

Please stop with the Georgia higher education smack talk.

UGA has an engineering school, but it plays a distant second fiddle in state. The engineering school in the state is Georgia Tech, which compares favorably with all the PAC 12 institutions you mention. It’s among the best in the country.

Between The university of Georgia, Georgia Tech, and Emory University you have three world class academic institutions located within a 75 mile radius.

I was wondering if we could dispense with the academic discussion entirely, but that is just me.

I'm quite familiar with Georgia Tech. My daughter and son in law went there (which is perhaps what has jaded my view of the bulldogs) and my son may go there. My brother taught at Emory. My comments were specific to Georgia (and even more specifically based on my engineering school research). But I'll back off since it's a sensitive subject and take Lefty's recommendation.

Yeesh...

I've always thought that if a bright student is highly motivated and knows what he or she wants to do, there are lots of good schools. For engineering, especially.

I think Georgia is a top ten school. I rank my schools based on number of Grammy awards for its alumni
Did REM guys go there? I'm pretty sure they were out of Athens but didn't know if alums.

Back