What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

I'm hearing VTAD has enough committed from donors to buy out Fuente. 80% reliability of this source.
Very reliable poster in techsideline.com saying Fuente told the team this week he isn't coming back.

And, this from last night

officially official

I think both sides were ready for a change and it had entered the awkward stage of how to fire the guy responsible for that program being in a P5 conference.

Three thoughts:
  • I know that they couldn't quite get over the hump over the last couple of years in the B12, but the official comments from the AD struck me as pretty ungrateful to discuss a guy who took them from CUSA to MWC to B12- they don't get those promotions if he wasn't so successful there. I'm sure he could have left for a higher paying job at some point over the last 20 years and chose not to.
  • Since 2000, Patterson took them to 17 bowls and went 11-6. In the previous 104 seasons (yes, not a typo) they went to 17 bowl games and won 6, so Patterson owns half of all TCU bowl appearances and just under 2/3rds all of TCU's bowl wins. He also owns 1/3 of the total conference championships they claim. As recently as 2014 TCU was a 3 point road loss to #5 Baylor away from being undefeated and in the CFP, and they finished #3 despite not appearing in the CFP. A remarkable list of accomplishments.
  • Kansas State got Tech's coach fired last week and TCU's coach fired this week. Liepold is a first year coach and presumably pretty safe, but I wonder if he's nervous at all :LOL:.

That's a bad hire if true.
I don't put much stock in the Kill as next coach idea. He was brought in as a consultant in Fuente's second year, VT had a fair amount of success that season, and i suspect the tweet is just one player's hopes. But it does lend stock to reports that Fuente told the team he's not returning.

Makes sense. He seems completely burnt out.

I think this happens with more and more older coaches in the next few years. The changes in college football are giving players more and more control and college football coaches are the most egotistic control freaks you will find.
Egotistical is being kind with that man. I was visiting my brother a few summers ago, he wakes my ass up about 4 in the morning. He said he had to go to Fort Worth for a football camp thing and wanted me to go with him. I was like wtf Brent, why the hell didn't you tell me this **** before I came down here? Anyway, I get a shower and we take off. We weren't thirty miles down the highway and he says, "Oh you'll love the host of the camp." I'm like, why don't I believe you? Then, I asked him who it was. He said Gary Patterson. Weren't there 10 minutes and I already wanted to leave. We brought two of his players with us. Anyway, Patterson was a ****ing dick. He was calling those kids every name in the book and just criticizing the living **** out of them. I look over at my brother standing over by the position group of his guys, he was staring at me with a big **** eating smile on his face. I just shook my head and flipped him off. Needless to say, he died laughing about it. I've been through similar, but that was at a whole new level.

Update of the Update. Seems like right after I update, a new bushel basket of news drops. I think I am doing this wrong.

Open jobs:

TCU- Gary Patterson gets the heave ho. (h/t BCS and Duff). Rumors abound TCU may do a coaching drive by on SMU and snatch up Sonny Dykes. (h/t ahoelsken) Jeery Kill to take over in the interim. (H/t DeNiro)

Texas Tech- Matt Wells fired in year three. (h/t onealcd) Art Briles? (h/t AlbasterYak)

WSU- Nick Rolovich fired for cause over vaccination status. (h/t BCS) Bringing out some of the best recriminations between the antivaxxers and branch covidians yet.

Ohio- Frank Solich retires at the end of the year after 16 successful years as the Bobcat HC. (h/t Deniro) Health related retirement. Good for him to leave on his own terms.

UCONN- Randy Edsall, formerly a hot prospect, has taken UCONN to depths of despair not previously known. Losses to FCS Holy Cross, and two shutouts against Purdue and Fresno St. sealed his fate. Six wins in his four years as HC of UCONN, 2.0. Ouch. (h/t Deniro) Who is the next person up? Don't know, but Joe Moorhead has been mentioned, I kind of will believe that when I see it.

USC- The big one. (h/t Deniro, also check Jens' USC Fires Clay Helton megathread). Mike Bohn is on the clock. My guess is Fickell, and then Franklin, in that order. UPDATE- Apparently, Mike Tomlin is not interested (h/t AlbasterYak)

Georgia Southern- Chad Lunsford out. (h/t Carolina Buff)

FIU- Butch Davis is a gonna hang it up at the end of the year and retire.

LSU- Ed O out. (h/t Carolina Buff), apparently when Ed O isn't covering up sexual assaults and turning in unsatisfactory W-L records, he is propositioning random women at gas stations, unfortunately, the last lady of the pump was an LSU muckety-muck's wife. (h/t 14er). Who's gonna be? Melvin? Dave Aranda? Jakes Franklin? Joe Brady? Billy Napier? Ed O's buyout is $17M (h/t Creebuzz), about a dollar more than luminaries like HCKD. I would say Ed O will retire and go into broadcasting, but.....

Filled Jobs:

Ohio- Tim Albin gets the job (h/t ahoelsken).

Possibles:

ASU- Herm Edwards has some pretty flagrant stuff hanging over his head, hard to believe it doesn't cost him.

N. Texas- Seth Littrell siting at about .500

UNLV- Arroyo 0-12. (h/t ahoelsken)

kNU- Frosty probably done before the end of the year according to Steve Sipple.

VT- Hokie has consulted the VT burrito stand and Fuente may be out (h/t Hokie).

fUCLA- Chip Kelly may have worn out his welcome in Westwood. (h/t AlbasterYak).

Other news:

Urban Meyer- Gets his freak on after visiting the grand kids.

Mizzou- fires DL coach midseason, an impossibility I am told. (h/t Deniro)

Okie Lite- Gundy leverages a perpetual extension (h/t AlbasterYak)

James Franklin- Switches agent to Jimmy Sexton for moving and or pay raise negotiations (h/t nik)

CU OL- Coach Rod fired, now embarking on second career in ebay sales.

Egotistical is being kind with that man. I was visiting my brother a few summers ago, he wakes my ass up about 4 in the morning. He said he had to go to Fort Worth for a football camp thing and wanted me to go with him. I was like wtf Brent, why the hell didn't you tell me this **** before I came down here? Anyway, I get a shower and we take off. We weren't thirty miles down the highway and he says, "Oh you'll love the host of the camp." I'm like, why don't I believe you? Then, I asked him who it was. He said Gary Patterson. Weren't there 10 minutes and I already wanted to leave. We brought two of his players with us. Anyway, Patterson was a ****ing dick. He was calling those kids every name in the book and just criticizing the living **** out of them. I look over at my brother standing over by the position group of his guys, he was staring at me with a big **** eating smile on his face. I just shook my head and flipped him off. Needless to say, he died laughing about it. I've been through similar, but that was at a whole new level.
Given this and other stories you've told about your brother, I'd say you're a very loving and tolerant sibling. Huge props for your ability to keep family as a priority.

I felt like I was at a Texas cookout in a backyard reading this story. Texas Forever.

Given this and other stories you've told about your brother, I'd say you're a very loving and tolerant sibling. Huge props for your ability to keep family as a priority.
It's weird, he's my oldest brother, I have three counting him and a sister. I'm the youngest and I get along with him better than any of them for whatever reason.

****ing yikes.

This is the mentality of the Pac-12 that I've been talking about and why the powers that be will never sell their souls for football glory by expanding into Texas. They truly believe that they are academic powerhouses and that football is merely a nice, occasional distraction. Nevermind the fact that the only school to whom this remotely applies is Stanford. It's delusional and small time thinking.

This is the mentality of the Pac-12 that I've been talking about and why the powers that be will never sell their souls for football glory by expanding into Texas. They truly believe that they are academic powerhouses and that football is merely a nice, occasional distraction. Nevermind the fact that the only school to whom this remotely applies is Stanford. It's delusional and small time thinking.
While I agree with the first sentence, there are some pretty damn good academics in the PAC-12. Cal is certainly one of the best engineering schools in the country. UCLA has a really good pre-med program, as does Washington. CU is ranked in the top 10 in Aerospace Engineering. With the exception of Stanford (as you mentioned), the other P12 schools aren't on par with the Ivy's....but we're not recruiting against the Ivy's, either.

While I agree with the first sentence, there are some pretty damn good academics in the PAC-12. Cal is certainly one of the best engineering schools in the country. UCLA has a really good pre-med program, as does Washington. CU is ranked in the top 10 in Aerospace Engineering. With the exception of Stanford (as you mentioned), the other P12 schools aren't on par with the Ivy's....but we're not recruiting against the Ivy's, either.

I understand that. Michigan is a damn good school too. So are Florida, Texas, Wisconsin, and Georgia. All rank very highly among public universities, along with UCLA and Cal. Can you spot the difference, however, between those schools and our academic powerhouses in the PAC12? They recognize the value of elite athletic programs, while we believe it is beneath us.

Back