What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

Why? LSU is a better job
How so? Just money? It’s a laughable school in a division in which he’s not likely to succeed. Ed O won the trophy because Burrow fell into his lap. I think Riley’s next move should be NFL a la Kliff. ( Ha-my spell check turns Kliff to Klingon.)

Do you think he'll listen to our counter offer now?
MSU basically making him the highest paid coach in CFB, or maybe just slightly behind Saban. MSU knows they are about to cash in on the new TV deal. Wish RG would go big with the assistant coach pool, with the knowledge that the new Pac 12 deal, while not as good, will still be far better than the current one.

How so? Just money? It’s a laughable school in a division in which he’s not likely to succeed. Ed O won the trophy because Burrow fell into his lap. I think Riley’s next move should be NFL a la Kliff. ( Ha-my spell check turns Kliff to Klingon.)
The last three HCs at LSU have all won a National Championship. They are the only P5 program in a very talent rich state. They can pay on par with anyone in the country. The program can recruit with anyone in the country.

I'm not saying it's far and way better than OU, but it is better. Riley's had 2 Heisman winning QBs, and another who was runner up, and he's not even been close to truly competing for a national championship despite being in a playoff a few times. He may have reached his ceiling at OU.

you think this will still be true after OU joins the SEC?
I don't think there is a wide gap by any means, but I think LSU will always have an inherent recruiting advantage due to their location and status as the only P5 program in a talent rich state. They get whoever they want in LA. OU makes their living in Texas where they have to compete with every other big time program.

The last three HCs at LSU have all won a National Championship. They are the only P5 program in a very talent rich state. They can pay on par with anyone in the country. The program can recruit with anyone in the country.

I'm not saying it's far and way better than OU, but it is better. Riley's had 2 Heisman winning QBs, and another who was runner up, and he's not even been close to truly competing for a national championship despite being in a playoff a few times. He may have reached his ceiling at OU.
Yeah, but I think it’s more about the HCs than the positioning of the school itself. I’d agree with you if Riley was going to the SEC East. How about Florida? All you need to do there is figure out a way to beat Georgia….Hmmmm. A fun challenge and you don’t have to fret about Bama AND Texas AM. Not to mention the squirrelly unpredictability of the Mississippi teams. I understand going to LSU if a few extra million $$ are that important but from a “Win Natty” viewpoint there’s no worse place to go than the SEC West IMO…..

Yeah, but I think it’s more about the HCs than the positioning of the school itself. I’d agree with you if Riley was going to the SEC East. How about Florida? All you need to do there is figure out a way to beat Georgia….Hmmmm. A fun challenge and you don’t have to fret about Bama AND Texas AM. Not to mention the squirrelly unpredictability of the Mississippi teams. I understand going to LSU if a few extra million $$ are that important but from a “Win Natty” viewpoint there’s no worse place to go than the SEC West IMO…..
I mean, OU is about to join the SEC, so to even win their division and conference they're going to have to go through Bama and Georgia. Nobody is scared of aTm. Besides, who knows what the new SEC is going to do with their structure once OU and UT come on board.

I could totally see an SEC pod set up something like this:

West: OU, UT, aTm, LSU
North: Mizzou, Arkansas, Ole Miss, MSU
South: Bama, Auburn, Vandy, UK
East: Georgia, Florida, SC, Tennessee

Mel Tucker is staying in East Lansing even though he has to compete with Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State just to make it to the B1G Championship. I get Alabama has been the gold standard in CFB for a long time, but LSU is still a top 5-7 job in the country.

I mean, OU is about to join the SEC, so to even win their division and conference they're going to have to go through Bama and Georgia. Nobody is scared of aTm. Besides, who knows what the new SEC is going to do with their structure once OU and UT come on board.

I could totally see an SEC pod set up something like this:

West: OU, UT, aTm, LSU
North: Mizzou, Arkansas, Ole Miss, MSU
South: Bama, Auburn, Vandy, UK
East: Georgia, Florida, SC, Tennessee

Mel Tucker is staying in East Lansing even though he has to compete with Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State just to make it to the B1G Championship. I get Alabama has been the gold standard in CFB for a long time, but LSU is still a top 5-7 job in the country.
I like this pod arrangements. Plus zipper approach would be great.

The Carousel heats up Update

Open jobs:

Akron- Tim Arth out, (h/t DeNiro) 3-24 overall, replaced on an interim basis by Oscar Rodriguez. UPDATE: Eddie George could be the man (h/t DeNiro)

TCU- Gary Patterson gets the heave ho. (h/t BCS and Duff). Rumors abound TCU may do a coaching drive by on SMU and snatch up Sonny Dykes. (h/t ahoelsken) Jerry Kill to take over in the interim. (H/t DeNiro)

WSU- Nick Rolovich fired for cause over vaccination status. (h/t BCS) Bringing out some of the best recriminations between the antivaxxers and branch covidians yet.

Ohio- Frank Solich retires at the end of the year after 16 successful years as the Bobcat HC. (h/t Deniro) Health related retirement. Good for him to leave on his own terms.

USC- The big one. (h/t Deniro, also check Jens' USC Fires Clay Helton megathread). Mike Bohn is on the clock. My guess is Fickell, and then Franklin, in that order. UPDATE- Apparently, Mike Tomlin is not interested (h/t AlbasterYak)

FIU- Butch Davis is a gonna hang it up at the end of the year and retire. UPDATE: Butch says FIU treating the FB program like dirt, oddly enough, they are still more successful than CU over the last five seasons (h/t DeNiro)

LSU- Ed O out. (h/t Carolina Buff), apparently when Ed O isn't covering up sexual assaults and turning in unsatisfactory W-L records, he is propositioning random women at gas stations, unfortunately, the last lady of the pump was an LSU muckety-muck's wife. (h/t 14er). Who's gonna be? Melvin? Dave Aranda? Jakes Franklin? Joe Brady? Billy Napier? Ed O's buyout is $17M (h/t Creebuzz), about a dollar more than luminaries like HCKD. I would say Ed O will retire and go into broadcasting, but.....UPDATE: Lincoln Riley? (h/t Albaster Yak)

UMASS- Fires their HC, (h/t BCS) Walt Bell out. (h/t DeNiro)

UW- Jimmy Lake fired. (h/t DeNiro, Serenity, Duff) $9.9Million payout. Justin Wilcox, come on down.

VT- Hokie dances in the streets, Justin Fuente shown the door (h/t Jens). Dave Clawson may be the leader in the clubhouse.

Filled Jobs:

Ohio- Tim Albin gets the job (h/t ahoelsken).

Georgia Southern- Bold move and hired Clay Helton (h/t Alabaster Yak)

Texas Tech- Bailer AHC and LB coach Joey McGuire hired (h/t DeNiro)

UCONN- Randy Edsall, Out. (h/t Deniro) Fmr. UCLA HC Jim Mora in (h/t DeNiro and CUAViator)

Possibles:

ASU- Herm Edwards has some pretty flagrant stuff hanging over his head, hard to believe it doesn't cost him.

N. Texas- Seth Littrell siting at about .500

UNLV- Arroyo 0-12. (h/t ahoelsken)

kNU- Frosty probably done before the end of the year according to Steve Sipple. Not so fast my friend, trev Alberts restructures Frosty's contract and announces he will be back for 2022 (h/t DeNiro) OC Matt Lubick, OL Greg Austin, RB Ryan Held, and QB Mario Verduzco sacrificed that Frosty may coach another day. No word on if Herbie has been put on an ice floe.

fUCLA- Chip Kelly may have worn out his welcome in Westwood. (h/t AlbasterYak).

Florida- Dan Mullen struggling (h/t Duff) DC Todd Grantham and OL John Hevesey scapegoated by Mullen (h/t Serenity)

Other news:

Oregon St.- DC Tim Tibesar fired for failing to adequately defend the Beaver. (h/t DeNiro)

Urban Meyer- Gets his freak on after visiting the grand kids.

Mizzou- fires DL coach midseason, an impossibility I am told. (h/t Deniro)

Okie Lite- Gundy leverages a perpetual extension (h/t AlbasterYak)

James Franklin- Switches agent to Jimmy Sexton for moving and or pay raise negotiations (h/t nik) UPDATE: Franklin wants out of Happy Valley, reportedly (h/t Nik)

CU OL- Coach Rod fired, now embarking on second career in ebay sales.

UW- OC John Donovon canned (h/t Serenity)

UT- Jeff Banks dispatching his stripper GF and her monkey on the recruiting trail (h/t Jens)

Minny- PJ Fleck gets a bigger boat to row with an extension and raise (h/t Albaster yak) PJ Fleck's contract is upped to $5Million, 7 years. (h/t DeNiro)

UW- OC John Donovon canned (h/t Serenity)

No. Ill.- HC Thomas Hammock extended (h/t DeNiro)

Nasser St.- Melvin Huckster takes down a new contract $8million a year (h/t Serenity)UPDATE: Mel says he did not come to E. Lansing to just pass through. He actually meant, pass through and truck out as much cash as possible before I take the next gig.

Illinois- DC Ryan Walters extended

Miami- AD Blake James out (h/t DeNiro)

holy **** GIF

You can infer what he thought about the CU job from his comments about MSU. Then again, all coaches are full of ****, so take it how you want.

With new contract reportedly in works, Michigan State football coach Mel Tucker calls Spartans 'destination' job​

Michigan State coach Mel Tucker, who could soon receive a significant new contract with the school, said MSU is a destination job and that he never intended to "just pass through."

"I made it clear in my initial press conferences that I thought Michigan State was a destination job and not a stepping stone," Tucker told Green, who played for MSU from 2008 to 2012. "It was never my intention to come here and just pass through. I believe that we're building something special here. I have tremendous support here to do that, and we're on the right track."

ESPN

He has had a great year so far and is seen as a rising star but this kind of money for a guy who as a head coach:
Has never been a National Champion
Never been in the playoff
Never won his conference
Never won a bowl game

If this is the new standard for paying P5 level college coaches a lot of schools might as well just drop any idea of competing for championships at the top level.

This contract given to Saban or Dabo (who's contract signed in 2019 pays him a bit over $9 million a year for 10 years) or even a Ryan Day who has been in the playoff twice and the championship game once but for a guy who hasn't won a single post-season game?

He has had a great year so far and is seen as a rising star but this kind of money for a guy who as a head coach:
Never won his conference
Never won a bowl game

If this is the new standard for paying P5 level college coaches a lot of schools might as well just drop any idea of competing for championships at the top level.

This contract given to Saban or Dabo (who's contract signed in 2019 pays him a bit over $9 million a year for 10 years) or even a Ryan Day who has been in the playoff twice and the championship game once but for a guy who hasn't won a single post-season game?
That’s “we expect championships” money, not “we’ll be happy battling for 2nd or 3rd in the BIG10 East” money. Pressure is on now.

Never won his conference
Never won a bowl game

Yep. Tucker just completely broke and reset the HC salary market. What are guys like Campbell and Franklin going to demand from USC or LSU? What is OU going to have to give Riley? What are Kirby, Dabo and Saban going to warrant now? Lane Kiffin?

CU will never be able to keep a successful HC, short of that guy being Ryan Walters or Bienemy.

Never won his conference
Never won a bowl game

Doesn't mean that's the going rate. But even if it is...

Frankly, I think CU would be better off paying a HC in the $3M range and having money for top tier market rate on coordinators & really good pay for other assistants rather than trying to get up to $5-$6M on a HC.

Really is ridiculous the kind of money being thrown around. Between this and player's being paid, they are absolutely ruining a great sport. You will have a half dozen elites, and a bunch of duds.

I actually watched Nascar religiously for years up until about 4/5 years ago. The rules were tinkered with so much, it took the fun out of watching. NFL same thing. Really hate to see the favorite of all my sport watching follow those.😕

I actually watched Nascar religiously for years up until about 4/5 years ago. The rules were tinkered with so much, it took the fun out of watching. NFL same thing. Really hate to see the favorite of all my sport watching follow those.😕
Morbid curiosity - what rules were changed in nascar that ruined it? (Full disclosure, I didn’t know there were rules).

Back