What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

DeBoer stops the bleeding, but when you see what Oregon is doing under Lanning (recruiting infrastructure), hard to see Washington closing that sizable gap between the two programs anytime soon.

It still surprises me when coaches go all-in with comfortable hires after jumping from G5 to P5.
Stops the bleeding to what end, though? They didn't need to be rebuilt from the ground up. They needed a Dan Lanning type of hire and they went after Mike MacIntyre

Stops the bleeding to what end, though? They didn't need to be rebuilt from the ground up. They needed a Dan Lanning type of hire and they went after Mike MacIntyre

Basically he raises the floor from the Lake disaster by bringing instant offensive credibility. That's not nothing, but there does not seem to be much in the way of raising the ceiling either.

Overall, it all seems to fit the "hire the opposite of the guy you just fired" strategy.

DeBoer stops the bleeding, but when you see what Oregon is doing under Lanning (recruiting infrastructure), hard to see Washington closing that sizable gap between the two programs anytime soon.

It still surprises me when coaches go all-in with comfortable hires after jumping from G5 to P5.

I think ideally there should be a mix of guys from the G5 staff, legacy guys from the P5 staff, and outside hires - this way the headcoach is using his inside knowledge to get the best guys from his staff that are likely under the radar (because no one talks about G5 coordinators and assistants), is keeping some continuity, and is bringing in some fresh thinking / upgrading where the legacy guys are weaker.

I would have concerns about any candidate that was planning on going 100% one way or the other.

The outside hires aren't gonna happen until January usually, at which point they will be lost in the shuffle.

Agree with the macro point though - Washington isn't keeping up with Oregon, which I think they probably know and are comfortable with.

Interesting on Lanning’s staff at Oregon. Most said he would be wise to hire to grey hairs on his staff. His coordinator hires have been:

Dillingham 31 years old (0 coordinator experience)
Powledge 34 years old (0 coordinator experience)

We will see how this works out for him.

Btw Marion is rumored to Oregon as WR coach and he wiped all Pitt stuff off his Twitter today

Interesting on Lanning’s staff at Oregon. Most said he would be wise to hire to grey hairs on his staff. His coordinator hires have been:

Btw Marion is rumored to Oregon as WR coach and he wiped all Pitt stuff off his Twitter today
They will win 8-9 games on talent disparity alone.

Agree and disagree-Washington doesn't need to completely rebuild, but they do have problems. They lost to Montana, got housed by Michigan (that game was 31-10 and it wasn't that close)....and then flash forward to the game here. UW looked like they had quit. They follow that up by getting obliterated by Wazzu at home.

Who called plays at FSU? Norvell?

It is a very good move. CA recruiting just got better for the goats
Eh, I get they are a G5 program and it’s the RB coach, but hiring a guy whose resume is limited to 6 years of high school coaching experience is not a “very good move” by any stretch. The reaction to this if Dorrell made this hire would be worse than what we’ve seen the last 24-48 hours

I know a see ess ewe alum, who used to work in their SID, who says everyone he knows is jacked about the moves their AD is making. If things fall the right way for them over the next couple years, they’re going to set themselves up nicely for the uncertainties that lie ahead for college football.

CU, on the other hand, is placing all their bets on KD. Awesome.

I know a see ess ewe alum, who used to work in their SID, who says everyone he knows is jacked about the moves their AD is making. If things fall the right way for them over the next couple years, they’re going to set themselves up nicely for the uncertainties that lie ahead for college football.

CU, on the other hand, is placing all their bets on KD. Awesome.
Nobody is inviting CSU to the adult table. Whether CU ends up there or not is another debate

I’m at the point where I don’t want us at the “adult table”. I’d rather be in a G5 conference and win 7-9 games/year.
I’m not there yet, at least not as long as other low end and middle tier teams are P5 status.

Also, CU dropping to G5 might be OK for the first few years, but emphasis on good football is still needed at the G5 level.

Robert Anae has decided to step down as OC/OL at Virginia and will not participate in their bowl game.

He was with Mendenhall a long time. 3 of his starting OLs have decided to hit the portal (C and both OTs).

He'd be a spectacular hire as CU's OL/RGC if he was interested in another nice contract before retiring (62 years old). I'd have loved him for OC/OL, fwiw, but didn't think of him being available.

Robert Anae has decided to step down as OC/OL at Virginia and will not participate in their bowl game.

He was with Mendenhall a long time. 3 of his starting OLs have decided to hit the portal (C and both OTs).

He'd be a spectacular hire as CU's OL/RGC if he was interested in another nice contract before retiring (62 years old). I'd have loved him for OC/OL, fwiw, but didn't think of him being available.

Pass his resume along and maybe KD will get around to reviewing it

Back