What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

Someone on 247 said Tosh is still expected to be on Oregon's staff in some capacity. Who knows if that's right, but would definitely be huge if he was OLB coach or something

The recruiting battles between SC and Oregon are going to be something. Have to imagine a lot more West Coast blue chip players will be staying in the Pac 12 going forward

Edit: I assume Tosh will be expected to recruit. Also, what position is he coaching?

Maybe LBs? Or OLBs/DEs?

Also, no RB or WR coach hire yet.

The recruiting battles between SC and Oregon are going to be something. Have to imagine a lot more West Coast blue chip players will be staying in the Pac 12 going forward

Edit: I assume Tosh will be expected to recruit. Also, what position is he coaching?
With Lanning as HC they have the luxury of giving Lupoi a DC title and pay even if his biggest value will be as a recruiter. I’m totally jealous.

There are many different models of hiring a HC which can be successful, but I still believe a big time coordinator is the best route for CU. Part of the reason being you get a HC who can coordinate one side of the ball if he so chooses, but also because a coordinator has to build a staff with diverse ties out of necessity. I know Tucker's first staff had several guys who had been QC coaches at Georgia, but they also had very different backgrounds.

There are many different models of hiring a HC which can be successful, but I still believe a big time coordinator is the best route for CU. Part of the reason being you get a HC who can coordinate one side of the ball if he so chooses, but also because a coordinator has to build a staff with diverse ties out of necessity. I know Tucker's first staff had several guys who had been QC coaches at Georgia, but they also had very different backgrounds.
As you said, different models work.

I'm also a big believer in hiring someone who brings an offense.

Due to some operational re-sets I believe need to happen at CU, my preference is someone who brings an offensive system but also an organization & culture. To me, the best hire would be someone like Sean Lewis at Kent St who is young, has P5 Coordinator experience and can bring his key staff & operation.

You got to be good on defense and offense.
When you hire a very successful (former coordinator) he has a system for one of those sides.
So to be really good, he only as to hit on 1 for 1 on the key hires, rather than the 2 for 2 that KD would have to hit on (or Ed the Cajun, or Chev, or.....).
It's possible, but over time, I think it's much harder to maintain 2 for 2 than 1 for 1. Especially if you are not operating with an unlimited budget.

One can make an argument that the third leg of that stool is 'cruitin and perhaps a guy like Neon-Deion can succeed leaning on that ability.
I honestly haven't seen that be successful, but I'm sure there's some exceptions where it's worked.

As you said, different models work.

I'm also a big believer in hiring someone who brings an offense.

Due to some operational re-sets I believe need to happen at CU, my preference is someone who brings an offensive system but also an organization & culture. To me, the best hire would be someone like Sean Lewis at Kent St who is young, has P5 Coordinator experience and can bring his key staff & operation.
Like all of this.

I would much rather take a chance on a young up and coming guy who has had success at a lower level than take some retread from P5 or somebody who has been repeatedly passed over.

This program in addition to the changes needed at the administrative level needs somebody with the drive and the energy to build a new culture. They need somebody who has the drive and the dedication to live and breath the program until it gets built his way.

I would prefer if they give him the money to grab at least a couple of young energetic position coaches from P5 schools who can be keys in the recruiting process.

Word was Klemm was probably going to get fired by the Steelers but either way he is an Incredible recruiter

Word was Klemm was probably going to get fired by the Steelers but either way he is an Incredible recruiter
I wonder in NIL bringing things into the open is going to make it a bit harder for some of the previous "incredible recruiters" to stand out from the crowd. Looks like Oregon with Klemm and Tosh are going to put that to the test.

I wonder in NIL bringing things into the open is going to make it a bit harder for some of the previous "incredible recruiters" to stand out from the crowd. Looks like Oregon with Klemm and Tosh are going to put that to the test.
Some guys can just plain sell. I don't think Tosh & Klemm will struggle. Both known for building relationships, not being "all business" buying players like some others.

Back