What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

I think I disagree. A&M's resources and support are endless and blows LSU out of the water. You also have the state of Texas for High School football. I think the only thing that could be determined as less is they have to compete with Texas for top dog. Their booster system also blows LSU out of the water. The support is there.

LSU the School has been in major financial trouble for a while now (although I am not sure that is a huge minus, but could be down the road). Arguing which town is better is like arguing over which Western Kansas town is better.
Colby, KS represent!

I think I disagree. A&M's resources and support are endless and blows LSU out of the water. You also have the state of Texas for High School football. I think the only thing that could be determined as less is they have to compete with Texas for top dog. Their booster system also blows LSU out of the water. The support is there.

LSU the School has been in major financial trouble for a while now (although I am not sure that is a huge minus, but could be down the road). Arguing which town is better is like arguing over which Western Kansas town is better.
There was an athletic article a couple weeks back that surveyed current coaches and admins. LSU had a surprising amount of votes for best job in the country.

I would imagine the football program at LSU doesn’t have to worry too much about getting it’s recruits admitted. That’s certainly a big advantage.

I don’t think 13 out of the 14 sec schools have to worry about that.
Nah. They at least have to pay lip service to that at A&M, Florida and Georgia. Probably Alabama, too, which is a better school than most would give it credit for.

LSU's last three head coaches have won a national title. That alone shows it is easier to win big there.
You are correct in recruiting being easier. They own Louisiana and are close enough to the Texas population centers that those kids don't feel like they are going too far away. They also pick up a surprising number of Florida kids.

They have huge fan support, a legendary home field, and the school will do anything needed to support the program.

The only potential negative right now is that the state and the university are in a budget crunch but they have never let that get in the way of winning football.

I don’t think 13 out of the 14 sec schools have to worry about that.
Florida and aTm are AAU members. Excellent universities. And they are absolutely within that 13 because unlike CU, they get it. Making significant allowances on athlete academics delivers a football program that can compete and this ends up being either neutral or an enhancement to academic reputation while driving donations of all types.

It will be interesting in time to see the changes brought on by NIL. Rabid fan bases able to legally pay kids to play will cement the top tier. When I think about that, I always get depressed and ask my self, "why do you keep going back for more punishment"?

It will be interesting in time to see the changes brought on by NIL. Rabid fan bases able to legally pay kids to play will cement the top tier. When I think about that, I always get depressed and ask my self, "why do you keep going back for more punishment"?
This is what makes this year so troubling. We are not particularly well positioned for the NIL era and we needed to build some positive momentum and we have completely botched it. It is going to be very difficult if not impossible to build it back.

Thought Experiment a/k/a Putting Yourself in the Other Guy's Shoes:

Imagine you're a risk-averse CU Bureaucrat who's been up there for 20 years + with leather patches on your sports jacket elbows and secretly lusting after female grad students from Wheat Ridge. You can set your watch to the fact that every 3-4 years the mumbling bumbling AD is going to come to you, Buff cap in hand whining about the New Coaching Crisis, the need for paying/structuring/negotiating The Buyout of yet another current incompetent or idiotic or bolted HC. It must get as tiring as it is predictable.

Like a a maladjusted 7th Grader, the AD makes himself an object of extreme annoyance and/or, even worse, pity. Is it any wonder that the pencil neck Pecksniffian
CU administrative brain trust has a dismissive or hostile attitude about the great sport of football?

The 7th Grader/CU AD:
"MOM, I need $50 for art supplies. I forgot to tell you !!"
"MOM, the Asst Principal is going to call you - I punched a kid in Home Room. HE STARTED IT !!"
"MOM, I broke Mrs. Smith's car window with my Wrist Rocket! She needs $250 !! It was an ACCIDENT !!"
"MOM I left my windbreaker on the bus! I need a new one! Can we stop at McDonalds on the way to WalMart? I'm starving !!"

Anyway, you get the picture.

Imagine you're a risk-averse CU Bureaucrat who's been up there for 20 years + with leather patches on your sports jacket elbows and secretly lusting after female grad students from Wheat Ridge. You can set your watch to the fact that every 3-4 years the mumbling bumbling AD is going to come to you, Buff cap in hand whining about the New Coaching Crisis, the need for paying/structuring/negotiating The Buyout of yet another current incompetent or idiotic or bolted HC. It must get as tiring as it is predictable.

Like a a maladjusted 7th Grader, the AD makes himself an object of extreme annoyance and/or, even worse, pity. Is it any wonder that the pencil neck Pecksniffian
CU administrative brain trust has a dismissive or hostile attitude about the great sport of football?

The 7th Grader/CU AD:
"MOM, the Asst Principal is going to call you - I punched a kid in Home Room. HE STARTED IT !!"
"MOM, I broke Mrs. Smith's car window with my Wrist Rocket! She needs $250 !! It was an ACCIDENT !!"
"MOM I left my windbreaker on the bus! I need a new one! Can we stop at McDonalds on the way to WalMart? I'm starving !!"

Tom Cruise What GIF

Cliff Notes Version: The CU Athletic Dept has been a bunch of whining incompetents for 20 + years.
That just absolves Benson and DiStefano. It’s a systemic issue, not isolated to the AD. It’s also not unique to CU. Every program outside of a few is looking for a new coaching staff, dealing with buyouts, etc every 3-4 years. Some get unequivocal support from the administration, others have to live with fewer means.

The 7th Grader/CU AD:

Why Wheatridge?

Back