What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

the new world order for the pac refugees

You think Oregon is going to lose 4 conference games in the regular season because of their lines? They have probably the 2nd or 3rd at worst combo of lines in the B1g. There are going to be 5+ guys drafted from those two units who will start next year. The DL depth specifically is absolutely insane.

I dont think Oregon or Washington have the depth and quality along the line compare to most Big Ten schools. I could be wrong and we’ll see.

Travel is going to suck, but is another 4 hours a week on a plane going to cause players to play worse enough to lose games? meh.

Football travel probably wont be a big deal. I think its gonna be a lot tougher for MBB, WBB, Soccer, Baseball, etc. Most of those sports after BB fly commercial instead of charter.

I dont think Oregon or Washington have the depth and quality along the line compare to most Big Ten schools. I could be wrong and we’ll see.

Football travel probably wont be a big deal. I think its gonna be a lot tougher for MBB, WBB, Soccer, Baseball, etc. Most of those sports after BB fly commercial instead of charter.
Oregon is going to compete for the conference championship and Natty this year, assuming Gabriel plays well within that offense. Their talent is second to only Ohio State, and might ultimately be better right now.

UW, otoh, will struggle to win 8 games. Favorable schedule through the first 5 weeks, but then they have Michigan at home, Iowa on the road, a manageable road game vs Indiana, but then finish with USC at home, Penn State on the road, UCLA at home and at Oregon. All that while breaking in a new staff and almost entirely new roster.

Oregon is going to compete for the conference championship and Natty this year, assuming Gabriel plays well within that offense. Their talent is second to only Ohio State, and might ultimately be better right now.

UW, otoh, will struggle to win 8 games. Favorable schedule through the first 5 weeks, but then they have Michigan at home, Iowa on the road, a manageable road game vs Indiana, but then finish with USC at home, Penn State on the road, UCLA at home and at Oregon. All that while breaking in a new staff and almost entirely new roster.
You may be close to right on both counts.

In the end I don't think that Oregon is at the top of the B1G but they are close enough to get talked about.

B1G football can be boring because so many teams lack skill position talent. Obviously tOSU, PSU, Mich, recruit upper level guys at those positions but the mid and lower leven teams can't compete recruiting those positions against the top conference schools and schools in warmer places.

What they do tend to have though is interior talent, the big guys. It will be an adjustment for Oregon and especially Washington to play against teams that every week are as strong or stronger than they are.

Oregon will be okay because their speed will give them an edge but Washington won't have the difference makers we hav seen recently.

Oregon should have enough comfortable leads to rest their big guys and develop their depth but the Huskys could end up getting beaten down even in games they win.

Yea I was thinking that UW is about a 7-5 team with all they lost. The Rutgers games isn't gonna be that easy either.

Thinking is clearly not what you're strong at. "most big 10 schools" what? You seriously think Oregon doesn't have the depth or quality of 9+ B1G programs? Are you ****ing kidding me? That is one of the dumbest things ever said on this board and THAT is saying something.

They're going to have 4 guys drafted from those groups this year and 4 more next year. You are 100% wrong and again I will put my money where my mouth is. Oregon IMMEDIATELY has a top 2-3 OL and DL in that conference.

This whole one conference is more physical than another is such ignorant drivel. Talent is talent. They're all warriors out there.

Thinking is clearly not what you're strong at. "most big 10 schools" what? You seriously think Oregon doesn't have the depth or quality of 9+ B1G programs? Are you ****ing kidding me? That is one of the dumbest things ever said on this board and THAT is saying something.

They're going to have 4 guys drafted from those groups this year and 4 more next year. You are 100% wrong and again I will put my money where my mouth is. Oregon IMMEDIATELY has a top 2-3 OL and DL in that conference.

This whole one conference is more physical than another is such ignorant drivel. Talent is talent. They're all warriors out there.

140 degree heat turned Miamis brain into mush

What I do expect is that all 4 P12 schools will learn what real OL and DL lines play like and they go .500 in conference as their eyes get opened. I also expect the travel to be grind and all sports having a slight winning pct fall off because of it.

Kermit GIF

In the end I don't think that Oregon is at the top of the B1G but they are close enough to get talked about.

B1G football can be boring because so many teams lack skill position talent. Obviously tOSU, PSU, Mich, recruit upper level guys at those positions but the mid and lower leven teams can't compete recruiting those positions against the top conference schools and schools in warmer places.

What they do tend to have though is interior talent, the big guys. It will be an adjustment for Oregon and especially Washington to play against teams that every week are as strong or stronger than they are.

Oregon will be okay because their speed will give them an edge but Washington won't have the difference makers we hav seen recently.

Oregon should have enough comfortable leads to rest their big guys and develop their depth but the Huskys could end up getting beaten down even in games they win.

Oregon has the tougher schedule of the two. Ohio State, at Michigan, at Wisconsin, and Mich State.

Attachments

• CBFD3788-D799-447C-AC57-B376AEC451C9.png
    CBFD3788-D799-447C-AC57-B376AEC451C9.png
    100.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 18B3E4DE-2AFC-4405-B800-C67401EDEDFB.png
    18B3E4DE-2AFC-4405-B800-C67401EDEDFB.png
    93 KB · Views: 8
The B1G is mid. Oregon will be right at the top with OSU and Michigan. There’s so much mediocrity in that conference that Oregon will have to seriously crater to win less than 9 games.

Oregon has the tougher schedule of the two. Ohio State, at Michigan, at Wisconsin, and Mich State.

UW has three trips to schools in the ET while Oregon has two such trips. That trip to Rutgers will be a long one followed by hosting Michigan at home then going to play at Iowa. After Iowa, another trip out east to Indiana followed by hosting USC and then another trip out east to Penn State. They might catch a breather at home against UCLA before getting killed at Oregon the following week.

Oregon does have to travel but not like UW has to do plus UW has a new coaching staff. You certainly have not accounted for the intangibles in this case.

Didn't realize I did an all Big Ten pecking order earlier instead of the P12.

1. USC...I'm not high on Riley and it can't be forgotten that he left OU because he didn't want to put up with the grind of the SEC. USC was supposed to be the top dog of the P12 and in the 13 years I have seen USC in the P12, I'm not convinced that USC will get it done in the B1G.
2. UCLA...I don't think the new UCLA coach is the answer but that is based on the thinking that UCLA will repeat what CU went through with Embree. Maybe the opposite happens but I'm not high on both LA schools over the long run based on what I saw from them in 13 years of the P12.
3. ARIZONA...they are enjoying their high in football and those things eventually wear off. UA excels when they are more of a niche program like under Rich Rod and I think after some time, they will return to their usual place in football which is somewhere in the middle.
4. ARIZONA STATE...I'm not disappointed that scumbag of a football program is on probation and the Scum Devils will be held back for sometime but sometime down the road, they will become good again.
5. UTAH...Kyle Whittingham is retiring within the next two to three years and they have a former Ute player lined up to succeed him. He's an Utah Man but what's the winning percentage for alumni head coaches? Whittingham graduated from BYU...maybe Utah should have looked in Provo instead of within the program. The Utes will continue to win but not like what they have been doing lately.
6. COLORADO...we are going to hit it big and anyone who disagrees can buzz off.
7. STANFORD...who cares about them and their Director Cup trophies...they can go rot in the ACC.
8. CALIFORNIA...they are more concerned with anything but athletics so they can go rot in the ACC. I'm not going to miss CalFurd at all as a conference rival.
9. OREGON...Nike daddy is emptying his safe for one last big run...they might pull it off. I never liked being conference rivals with them but I'm going to enjoy watching them destroy Nebraska in the B1G. Who knows where they will be at once they bury Nike daddy...maybe there are enough big money Quacks in Seattle to keep things going.
10. OREGON STATE...their fans on X are just delusional about their school's chances of being a Power school. Just get with the program and take advantage of the MWC where an undefeated season there could mean a CFP appearance.
11. WASHINGTON STATE...they are screwed and will lose students as a result but they are not dropping down to FCS...but that wouldn't shock me if that ever happened. WSU-Idaho will be quite the rivalry.
12. WASHINGTON...don't they have an Amazon daddy ready to take them to the CFP over the long haul? I don't see how recruits want to go to Seattle where it rains too much unless they are paid well.

UW has three trips to schools in the ET while Oregon has two such trips. That trip to Rutgers will be a long one followed by hosting Michigan at home then going to play at Iowa. After Iowa, another trip out east to Indiana followed by hosting USC and then another trip out east to Penn State. They might catch a breather at home against UCLA before getting killed at Oregon the following week.

Oregon does have to travel but not like UW has to do plus UW has a new coaching staff. You certainly have not accounted for the intangibles in this case.
I mean, UW has to play Oregon lol. It's pretty disingenuous to leave that out(not of you). Also, since when was Wisconsin better than Iowa? They very well may be, but it's another obvious intentional omission to promote a dumbass narrative. Iowa beat the Badges in Madison last year, and went 10-4. Suddely 7-6 Wisconsin is the new giant slayers? They didn't play Michigan or Penn St last year and still lost to our old friends WSU, and to Indiana and Northwestern. "any given sunday" but come on. Oregon should walk both UWs.

The B1G is mid. Oregon will be right at the top with OSU and Michigan. There’s so much mediocrity in that conference that Oregon will have to seriously crater to win less than 9 games.
It's low-key seriously mid. What's the 5th best team, Iowa? They lost 35-0 in their bowl game last year to a Tennessee team that went .500 in the SEC and is the probably around the 7th best team in their conference this year depending on Oklahoma.

It's low-key seriously mid. What's the 5th best team, Iowa? They lost 35-0 in their bowl game last year to a Tennessee team that went .500 in the SEC and is the probably around the 7th best team in their conference this year depending on Oklahoma.
The B1G got a media deal from three programs being nationally relevant the last decade and the rest having good fanbases. Wisconsin had its run winning the B1G West but was never on the level of OSU

I'm not immediately seeing what value Cal expects to get from this advertising
Yeah. Maybe they should focus on getting people from the Bay Area to go to its games.

Actually, I think they had that working during the Tedford era but decided they didn't like so many undesirables from the East Bay crowding in.

Yeah. Maybe they should focus on getting people from the Bay Area to go to its games.

Actually, I think they had that working during the Tedford era but decided they didn't like so many undesirables from the East Bay crowding in.
line 1: yes, that's where I was going
line 2: noting the lack of sarcasm font.... are you being sarcastic about them not wanting some types of fans?

I'm not immediately seeing what value Cal expects to get from this advertising

Either they have done their homework and some percentage of out of state alums live there. And/Or theyre trying to attract incoming students from the ACC footprint.

Either they have done their homework and some percentage of out of state alums live there. And/Or theyre trying to attract incoming students from the ACC footprint.
Cal doesn't need to recruit for academics

Cal doesn't need to recruit for academics

They could fill the school with Californians 100% and call it good. But they want diversity and part of that diversity means bringing in people from other parts of the country. Out state tuition makes public education go these days.

They could fill the school with Californians 100% and call it good. But they want diversity CASH and part of that diversity CASH means bringing in people from other parts of the country. Out state tuition makes public education go these days.

fixed

1. OOS & International students are worth much more to a state university than in-state students. One of the biggest points of negotiations between universities and their state legislatures is always around the required % of in-state students and whether international is counted in that figure.

2. Conference realignment ties into this heavily. University officials don't care too much about "School X is located in a rich recruiting area & sizable media market and has a large stadium that draws great attendance." That's nice, but what moves the needle for them is "School X is located in a place where a good number of our students come from, the academic profile of the HS graduates is high, people from there can afford the cost of tuition and would be a great donor pool, and there is a very sizable population we'd gain access to."

• Cal has the second lowest acceptance rate of any public school in the US
  • Cal's OOS acceptance rate is 8.6%, in-state is 15%
  • Cal sets a minimum GPA at 3.0 for in-state, and 3.4 for OOS
those data points don't support the theory that Cal is investing in football advertising in the state of North Carolina for the goal of attracting more out of state students.

Back