What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tom Herman - unemployed/still counting UT buyout money

White_Rabbit

Club Member
Club Member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Herman_(American_football)

I have been railing hard against coordinators that work under HCs that are oriented towards their side of the ball, but maybe that's a stupid reason to hate on a coordinator prospect?

Urban Meyer's two previous OCs seem to be working out moderately well. What about this guy? He's from California, has been at two big schools and has apparently been really successful everywhere he has been. Plus apparently word was we were looking at spread OC candidates, and anyone that isn't Mark Helfrich makes me happy.

There's some thing about his background that distinguishes him from the run of the mill coordinator that works under a HC oriented towards their side of the ball.

Chiefly, that he was successful along the way at several stops, including the BCS level. Iowa State was a pretty good offense, all things considered. Which is why Urban Meyer went to him.

He's young and he's really smart. Smart guys who are upwardly mobile can learn a great deal from their mentor.

I have no problem with going that route as long as the guy is a real talent. I'd prefer Kliff K. but I wouldn't dismiss a guy like this out of hand.

this will make the academics happy...
Herman was born in Cincinnati and still has family there, although he was raised in Simi Valley, Calif. A member of Mensa International, Herman earned his B.S. in Business Administration from California Lutheran in 1997 where he was a cum laude graduate. He was a Presidential Scholarship recipient. At California Lutheran he was an All-Southern California Athletic Conference wide receiver. He also earned a Masters of Education from Texas. Herman and his wife, Michelle, have a daughter, Priya, and a son, Maddock.

I really don't know much about him beyond his wikipedia page, so he could be straight up terrible for all I know. It just seems unlikely to me that we could get Mullen, so maybe we could get the next Mullen?

This is the same Tom Herman that was fired at University of Texas for only delivering winning seasons. They wanted more from him. I think he can be successful HERE.

Bump. He’s my number one.

Also, you jealous @hokiehead ??
Tom Herman is the #1 for me. Really strong recruiter, especially in Texas. Strong offensive mind. Has good connects to build a successful staff. Has proper level of name recognition and cachet to make it happen in Boulder.

Most importantly: can be hired for a reasonable price since he has offset $$$ from UT.

This is the same Tom Herman that was fired at University of Texas for only delivering winning seasons. They wanted more from him. I think he can be successful HERE.
He'd kill it at CU. His politics make him a fit here in a way they wouldn't in a place like say.......Nebraska.

apparently I've been on the Herman train for a decade

FragrantBogusHoopoe-max-1mb.gif

Like Herman a lot but worry about a few things - he seems to have had a reputation for being difficult to work with, he underperformed (relative to talent and resources) at Texas, and would not have those same resources/commitment to athletics in Boulder. If he can address those things, I would be through the roof with that kind of hire.

Like Herman a lot but worry about a few things - he seems to have had a reputation for being difficult to work with, he underperformed (relative to talent and resources) at Texas, and would not have those same resources/commitment to athletics in Boulder. If he can address those things, I would be through the roof with that kind of hire.
1) Texas boosters are difficult people to please. They call you difficult when you don’t meet their asinine demands. Which leads to…
2) Texas is great for resources and talent, but it is not a good job due to their insane boosters.

1) Texas boosters are difficult people to please. They call you difficult when you don’t meet their asinine demands. Which leads to…
2) Texas is great for resources and talent, but it is not a good job due to their insane boosters.
His reputation was not limited to his time in Austin. Again, really like him as a candidate, but ever one of these guys will have some question marks and those are Herman’s.

His reputation was not limited to his time in Austin. Again, really like him as a candidate, but ever one of these guys will have some question marks and those are Herman’s.
I find vague “difficult to work with” notions to be difficult to take seriously, especially since it is based on speculation and innuendo.

Texas hasn't really won much since later Mack Brown years

Charlie Strong was 16-21 (12-15)

Mack after the natty game in 2010 was 30-21 (18-17)

Herman 32-18 (22-13)

Sarkisian so far 8-9 (4-7)
Brown’s biggest strengths were making the good ole boys happy and hitting on VY and Colt McCoy. Everyone else has figured out how to get really good QBs out of Texas. With aTm going to the $EC, Texas has lost a lot of luster.

Not to dismiss lawdogg's point, hard to work with doesn't seem ideal, but I'd venture to guess a lot of the top tier coaches are pretty hard to work with.

I mean even KD, vanilla as ****, had his OC of 3 games liking tweets about firing him. Head poked into too many meetings apparently

Looking at his Texas days, Herman did have Tim Beck as his OC for several years until the last year. Todd Orlando was his DC from Houston until the last year at Texas too. I almost wonder if that was booster forced to fire the OC and DC. Looks like his OC at Houston was Major Applewhite, who ended up getting the HC job at Houston after Herman left

What head coach isn't difficult to work with? Literally all of them are ego maniacs and control freaks. I don't give a **** anymore, I just want to win.

Not to dismiss lawdogg's point, hard to work with doesn't seem ideal, but I'd venture to guess a lot of the top tier coaches are pretty hard to work with.

I mean even KD, vanilla as ****, had his OC of 3 games liking tweets about firing him. Head poked into too many meetings apparently

Looking at his Texas days, Herman did have Tim Beck as his OC for several years until the last year. Todd Orlando was his DC from Houston until the last year at Texas too. I almost wonder if that was booster forced to fire the OC and DC. Looks like his OC at Houston was Major Applewhite, who ended up getting the HC job at Houston after Herman left
I think the article @Hank posted in the other thread gives the real reason: Herman sided with players against racism.

I think the article @Hank posted in the other thread gives the real reason: Herman sided with players against racism.
Yeah his “off field” stuff actually would be great for Boulder. Also I can’t believe I’m calling the act of siding with your players and speaking out against racism as “off-field stuff”…. But it’s Texas so not the most forward thinking place

Back