What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tosh Lupoi - DC Alabama

My strong impression from Cal fans is that Tosh was at one point your favorite son who you wanted to eventually take the reins from Tedford. Then he became the guy you mostly blame for things collapsing at the end of the Tedford years due to the APR problems and whatnot with all the political issues that caused -- only to see him jump ship to Washington when things got tough. So you used to love him and now you hate him.

I don't know that you're wrong. I also don't know that he hasn't grown up a lot in the last 5 years.
Let me give you the correct info. Tedford not only was To$h’s coach at Cal, but also gave him all of his early coaching breaks as a GA, and later as a DL coach. To$h’s last year on Tedford’s staff, we had the highest rated recruiting class in Cal history lined up. Top 5, possibly top 3. He received an offer from Sarkisian and UW. Cal gave him a counter offer with a promise from To$h that it was a wrap and he’d stick with Cal. Literally in the middle of the night, on Cal’s dime while on a recruiting trip, he stood Tedford up at the airport for a pending recruiting trip, got in his rental car that Cal was paying for and visited recruits Shaq Thompson (a legacy as his brother was a Cal player) and Arik Armstead (who was packing his car to leave for Cal). He got Shaq to follow him to UW and so negatively recruited against Cal that Arik ended up at Oregon. In the following days, he blew up the rest of the class on his way out.

The rest of the highly rated recruits that he brought to Cal that did stay, basically with a few exceptions (Keenan Allen), all either failed academically, were kicked out of school (Chris McCain) or failed to be productive.

Now tell me... Do we have reasons to hate him?

Let me give you the correct info. Tedford not only was To$h’s coach at Cal, but also gave him all of his early coaching breaks as a GA, and later as a DL coach. To$h’s last year on Tedford’s staff, we had the highest rated recruiting class in Cal history lined up. Top 5, possibly top 3. He received an offer from Sarkisian and UW. Cal gave him a counter offer with a promise from To$h that it was a wrap and he’d stick with Cal. Literally in the middle of the night, on Cal’s dime while on a recruiting trip, he stood Tedford up at the airport for a pending recruiting trip, got in his rental car that Cal was paying for and visited recruits Shaq Thompson (a legacy as his brother was a Cal player) and Arik Armstead (who was packing his car to leave for Cal). He got Shaq to follow him to UW and so negatively recruited against Cal that Arik ended up at Oregon. In the following days, he blew up the rest of the class on his way out.

The rest of the highly rated recruits that he brought to Cal that did stay, basically with a few exceptions (Keenan Allen), all either failed academically, were kicked out of school (Chris McCain) or failed to be productive.

He was kinda right to neg recruit Cal tho... That situation was blowing up.

So, if I'm following you correctly......if we hire him, we owe you a rental car?

Lupoi is an opportunist and charlatan of the highest order. Period.

I get it that you don’t like the guy.

However, literally nothing you’ve written about him is unique to any extremely successful person in a production-based industry.

Honestly, given your animosity, this elevates my opinion of Lupoi as a HC candidate at Colorado. To me, it signals that he is a line nudger. He is someone who’s willing to grind and dig deep to win even if his aggressive tactics make mild-tempered people antsy.

Colorado needs some edge in the football program. We’ve lacked that for quite some time. In many ways, I think it’s one of the contributing factors in Colorado’s decline into college football purgatory.

Lupoi is an opportunist and charlatan of the highest order. Period.
sourgrapes.jpg

However, literally nothing you’ve written about him is unique to any extremely successful person in a production-based industry.

Honestly, given your animosity, this elevates my opinion of Lupoi as a HC candidate at Colorado. To me, it signals that he is a line nudger. He is someone who’s willing to grind and dig deep to win even if his aggressive tactics make mild-tempered people antsy.

Colorado needs some edge in the football program. We’ve lacked that for quite some time. In many ways, I think it’s one of the contributing factors in Colorado’s decline into college football purgatory.
No offense, but he isn’t going to CU. He’s got bigger things in mind.

No offense, but he isn’t going to CU. He’s got bigger things in mind.

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn’t. Given your personal comments about TL, I’ll assume you two aren’t close, so it’s not like you can speak with any additional authority.

Last edited:
maybe we can get sark, tosh, and kiffin. it really would be great to have everyone hating us again. oh, the good old days, when even fans of ****ty big 8 teams would scream nasty things about us. i think we'd learn to reciprocate the hate, too. right now, i have a hard time hating cal, stanford, utah, ucla, oregon state (even counting this year), and wsu. i already hated usc and uw and asu before we got here and oregon and arizona have joined that list.

let's LUPOI this conference into submission! w00t.

Until you saw the team play.

no way, man -- this thing would somehow gel into a potent mixture of #winning. it is pure alchemy! sure, it would probably explode in our faces in a few seasons, but sometimes you have to live in the now. i'd like to see another big run out of CU in our lifetimes.

People are talking about how much of the play calling the candidates are responsible for in their coordinator positions. We are not hiring them to be the DC, we are hiring them to be a head coach. I remember when we hired Bill McCartney - he was a defensive guy but he tended to get more involved in the offense then the defense. McCartney was a leader, a communicator, paid extreme attention to detail, a great motivator, and a student of the game. He learned a lot of that from Bo Schembechler.

I am not saying Lupoi is McCartney but we do know he is hard working, a good communicator, and with a 5 year apprenticeship under Saban he probably has some of the other bases covered.

I guess over the last few days Lupoi has probably become my top choice, but whomever CU hires, I believe I will be happier if we go the coordinator route then if we hire a Tedford or Holgerson.

I think Tosh is #1 on my list right now. Lake is good but he's more of a DBs coach like MacIntyre. Day doesn't appear to have history working with the OL. Tosh has worked with the DL at Cal and UW and is a former DL himself. I think Tosh would be more likely to do a better job addressing the lines at CU than the other two.

Edit: also look at who he recruited to Bama especially a QB who might win the Heisman.

tenor.gif

Oh man, I like this guy. With that kind of recruiting, work ethic, and his verbal command, this could be a great pick.

I kind of like this guy. Could be a home run but will definitely bring the big dudes and talent into the program. Hell, I'd play for him 25 years ago.

Back