What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Troy Calhoun - Head Coach at Air Force

Probably BS đź’©...... but ...... somebody I know who works in the AFA AD, told me recently that the CU job was offered to Calhoun, but ultimately he rejected it because the CU AD refused to allow him to chose his own co-ordinators as RG was "forcing" Chev/Summers on him and he was "uncomfortable" with that
Plausible

Probably BS đź’©...... but ...... somebody I know who works in the AFA AD, told me recently that the CU job was offered to Calhoun, but ultimately he rejected it because the CU AD refused to allow him to chose his own co-ordinators as RG was "forcing" Chev/Summers on him and he was "uncomfortable" with that
Considering this is also the rumor surrounding the almost hire of Sark...

Calhoun would have no use for those two guys and he likely had so many other better options that would have been fun to see.

Calhoun beat Louisville today....hindsight has me second guessing on this one.
If he would have been able to adapt the triple option to a more modern offense with spread/RPO concepts and a balanced passing attack, it could have worked. He’s obviously a really good coach but would have to adjust his recruiting mindset and learn to coach a different type of person, but he definitely has his players fundamentally sound and playing hard.

I just have zero appetite for full blown triple option football in Boulder, despite Jalapeño creaming himself over the thought.

If he would have been able to adapt the triple option to a more modern offense with spread/RPO concepts and a balanced passing attack, it could have worked. He’s obviously a really good coach but would have to adjust his recruiting mindset and learn to coach a different type of person, but he definitely has his players fundamentally sound and playing hard.

I just have zero appetite for full blown triple option football in Boulder, despite Jalapeño creaming himself over the thought.
I only watched the first half but they were airing it out and burning Louisville deep.

If we are going to continue down the recruiting trail we are on, the only way we win any games is to go full triple option. That’s what teams with less talent do. Embrace it.

Calhoun is a Kubiak guy who ran his offense in the NFL. He said when Tennessee & Colorado kicked the tires that he wouldn't be running triple option if he wasn't at a service academy.

Calhoun is, was, and shall be a better option than KD ever would have been.
Comparing a college coach to KD is like comparing something the smell of the porta potty at the chili festival.

That Calhoun would be better qualified than KD still doesn't mean he would be a good fit in Boulder.

I like Calhoun as a coach but I think he is very much in the right place for him to succeed.

If we are going to continue down the recruiting trail we are on, the only way we win any games is to go full triple option. That’s what teams with less talent do. Embrace it.
Wtf man, you been calling Jalapeno late at night? Don't tell your wife.

Comparing a college coach to KD is like comparing something the smell of the porta potty at the chili festival.

That Calhoun would be better qualified than KD still doesn't mean he would be a good fit in Boulder.

I like Calhoun as a coach but I think he is very much in the right place for him to succeed.
He would have to surround himself with killer recruiters, but his offense and his leadership would fit just fine

Calhoun on this board is like a virus that won’t die.
I really don't understand your strong dislike for Calhoun. I think he'd be a lot like Tad gives us. In consideration of what CU will allow these days, it will take someone like that to make CU football respectable again and rebuild support. I don't think there's a quick fix because the will to do the things which allow a quick fix aren't there. I also believe RG was forced to accept this when MT left and he couldn't deliver what Sark needed to give a yes. KD ended up being his "slow build through fundamentals & program stability" guy -- a realization Bohn arrived at almost a decade earlier when he tried to hire Calhoun & what led him to MM.

I really don't understand your strong dislike for Calhoun.

1. I don’t have the affinity for him because he coaches in Colorado and the Broncos. If he was at Navy or Army we do not have this conversation.

2. He is a an option football guy. Yes, over a decade ago he was an OC running a Pro offense. He his now a dyed-in-the-wool option guy.

3. What current prep player is going to see him as anything other than an option guy? What coaching connections in modern football does the guy have after being on base for the past 14 years?

4. Why hire another middle aged white guy from lower level ranks? The best excitment and energy comes from hiring well regarded, hot coordinators.

5. He is a military guy. Educated and inculcated with a splash of NFL 15+ years ago. These facts scream capital D “Disciplinarian” from a lost age. I’ve read plenty of coacing interviews that the modern player wants to know why as well as what. Calhoun’s entire career is the military and NFL chain of command style that is the antithesis of modern football.

6. He is a capitulation to CU admitting they should be a G5 program. Think small, play small.

7. Tad Boyle is a horrible strawman for CU football. Coach Boyle has been great for basketball. That doesn’t mean that football should use Bohn’s I-25 hiring strategy for football.

8. People get very upset with KD because he was pissy with some local reporter at one press conference. Calhoun is famously prickly with the press.

9. A loud mob of local fans push for Dave Logan with regularity. I remember the push by a loud mob to hire the guy from Mines as the OC. CU nees to think bigger than hiring a guy inside of a ****ty prep football state.

10. I am much more happy dreaming the Big Dream for CU football. This is not a defense of KD. Calhoun is a dream killer.

1. I don’t have the affinity for him because he coaches in Colorado and the Broncos. If he was at Navy or Army we do not have this conversation.

2. He is a an option football guy. Yes, over a decade ago he was an OC running a Pro offense. He his now a dyed-in-the-wool option guy.

3. What current prep player is going to see him as anything other than an option guy? What coaching connections in modern football does the guy have after being on base for the past 14 years?

4. Why hire another middle aged white guy from lower level ranks? The best excitment and energy comes from hiring well regarded, hot coordinators.

5. He is a military guy. Educated and inculcated with a splash of NFL 15+ years ago. These facts scream capital D “Disciplinarian” from a lost age. I’ve read plenty of coacing interviews that the modern player wants to know why as well as what. Calhoun’s entire career is the military and NFL chain of command style that is the antithesis of modern football.

6. He is a capitulation to CU admitting they should be a G5 program. Think small, play small.

7. Tad Boyle is a horrible strawman for CU football. Coach Boyle has been great for basketball. That doesn’t mean that football should use Bohn’s I-25 hiring strategy for football.

8. People get very upset with KD because he was pissy with some local reporter at one press conference. Calhoun is famously prickly with the press.

9. A loud mob of local fans push for Dave Logan with regularity. I remember the push by a loud mob to hire the guy from Mines as the OC. CU nees to think bigger than hiring a guy inside of a ****ty prep football state.

10. I am much more happy dreaming the Big Dream for CU football. This is not a defense of KD. Calhoun is a dream killer.
More than fair.

The big difference for me is that I think that dream is dead and our best hope is to hire an old school, prickly, no-nonsense type who will be here forever. Our Ferentz or Wittingham.

More than fair.

The big difference for me is that I think that dream is dead and our best hope is to hire an old school, prickly, no-nonsense type who will be here forever. Our Ferentz or Wittingham.

Ferentz has created a toxic environment with race based problems….but for it being Iowa. Wittingham coaches at a public school that is dominated by a religious system that is based on that type of environment. I agree they have both been very successful and the “where” they coached is essential to their success.

I wonder how high Troy's name will get on this list after they smoke us this weekend.

Ferentz has created a toxic environment with race based problems….but for it being Iowa. Wittingham coaches at a public school that is dominated by a religious system that is based on that type of environment. I agree they have both been very successful and the “where” they coached is essential to their success.

I don't think you can attribute much of Wittingham's success to Mormonism.

If whipping CU gets a coach on the list, it will be a very long list.
that is very true.

Troy does fit what a lot of people are asking for, a system guy, who recruits system players, is disciplined and consistent.

that is very true.

Troy does fit what a lot of people are asking for, a system guy, who recruits system players, is disciplined and consistent.
Which is good, I’m just still skeptical of a guy who has never had to recruit a P5 type player ever in his career or play the modern recruiting game.

Never been that excited about Calhoun, but I think one thing in his favor is he likely would NOT run the option at CU.
Yeah. He'd said in the past that he would run something more along the lines of Kubiak's offense he worked in. His AFA offense was to fit the players not because he's a triple option guy.

Back