What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Troy Calhoun - Head Coach at Air Force

His redeeming qualities would be making marginal bowl games with lightly recruited players.

You just do not "learn" how to recruit at a high level in a P5 conference with so much experience at lower levels.
You do not. But other (old/older) coaches have had success coming to a P5 at around that age after not having to recruit at the P5 level for a long time. Does that prove that TC will be good at it? **** no. That's where I think the staff is incredibly important.....and leaves me with a glimmer of hope that it could turn out okay if this is the way we have to go.

Guys who consistently churn out 6-6 or 7-5 type seasons are really hard to get rid of. No one wants to hire them away and it’s difficult to get rid of someone not losing a bunch - plus if you did, the talent level for the next guy is abysmal. I could see us sitting here in 2026 with a HC Calhoun having a record like 45-41 with 2 bowl appearances and 1 Cheez-It Bowl victory over Kansas State.

Guys who consistently churn out 6-6 or 7-5 type seasons are really hard to get rid of. No one wants to hire them away and it’s difficult to get rid of someone not losing a bunch - plus if you did, the talent level for the next guy is abysmal. I could see us sitting here in 2026 with a HC Calhoun having a record like 45-41 with 2 bowl appearances and 1 Cheez-It Bowl victory over Kansas State.
Did someone say Cheez-It Bowl? Easy there, let's not burn our wings flying too close to the sun....

Please don’t let this happen. At least MM had experience recruiting kids who didn’t Have 30+ACT scores and a desire to be a pilot. This is just a second rate option. If we go from a dc at a top 10 recruiting program to a G5 guy, there is no positive way to spin this.

I'm looking forward to football tad boyle
I actually made that comparison on twitter this morning. I see a lot of Tad with Calhoun. Completely solid football guy, high character and will run a rock steady organization without any bull****. It also means that there is nothing that positively moves the needle until he wins for a number of years in terms of media attention and recruiting cache -- and it probably starts out hurting you in these areas.

I'd support him, but I don't think this is an approach for football.

In a weird way, I think recruiting is more important for football.

In basketball, your 2nd tier guys can be developed over 4-5 years and mesh with 1 or 2 great players to give you a very good team. That sets you up to compete against teams that rely on freshmen (like Arizona) because their blue chip recruits leave after 1 year.

If football, those blue chip recruits USC will stock with are going to be there for 3 years. And the rosters are so big that that starter has 2 blue chips developing behind him. You're never going to beat that with experienced guys who aren't as athletically gifted. You need to be able to be able to recruit playmakers and have depth of playmakers or they'll attack where you are weak and overwhelm you. Doesn't matter how good someone may be on technique, recognition and weight training because if someone on a football field runs a 4.7 and the guy he's trying to cover is 3 inches taller and running a 4.4 with a 3.9 shuttle - your 3* guy is gonna get burnt.

Last edited:
Calhoun led AFA to wins over Boise State in those following years: 2014, 2015, 2016. Last several years has been close. How has CSU fared against those blue donkeys in the same time span?

One concern I have with Calhoun is how often AFA's players turned the ball over especially at Folsom Field last season.

I actually made that comparison on twitter this morning. I see a lot of Tad with Calhoun. Completely solid football guy, high character and will run a rock steady organization without any bull****. It also means that there is nothing that positively moves the needle until he wins for a number of years in terms of media attention and recruiting cache -- and it probably starts out hurting you in these areas.

I'd support him, but I don't think this is an approach for football.

In a weird way, I think recruiting is more important for football.

In basketball, your 2nd tier guys can be developed over 4-5 years and mesh with 1 or 2 great players to give you a very good team. That sets you up to compete against teams that rely on freshmen (like Arizona) because their blue chip recruits leave after 1 year.

If football, those blue chip recruits USC will stock with are going to be there for 3 years. And the rosters are so big that that starter has 2 blue chips developing blue chips developing behind him. You're never going to beat that with experienced guys who aren't as athletically gifted. You need to be able to be able to recruit playmakers and have depth of playmakers or they'll attack where you are weak and overwhelm you. Doesn't matter how good someone may be on technique, recognition and weight training someone is on a football field if he runs a 4.7 and the guy he's trying to cover is 3 inches taller and running a 4.4 with a 3.9 shuttle.
Plus let’s be honest, the expectations for CU football have always been and should continue to be higher than for basketball. If Tad keeps delivering winning seasons and a tournament appearance every few years he’s probably going to keep being the guy. Slight above average for the football program long term isn’t something most fans are going to sign up for.

any firm numbers on what Calhoun is making? I’m seeing it’s only around $1mil? If I have to look with rose colored glasses is this a case where we pay him around $2mil a year and get to drastically spend on more on assistants to make up for his lack of recruiting background?

any firm numbers on what Calhoun is making? I’m seeing it’s only around $1mil? If I have to look with rose-colored glasses is this a case where we pay him around $2mil a year and get to drastically spend on more on assistants to make up for his lack of recruiting background?

725k being quoted lots of places.

Back