What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Troy Calhoun - Head Coach at Air Force

So this Opie used CU also -

He was already working on this long before Tucker left.

edit: actually article says he finalized it before Tucker left and the contract hasnt been amended.

Calhoun is a different kind of guy. No he didn't "use" CU to get a raise.

He is happy at the Academy, he is very happy living in Colorado. He has been pursued by a number of schools that would have been higher profile and paid more and he has turned them down.

CU is probably one of the few jobs he would leave the Academy for, it lets him stay in Colorado and have the lifestyle he wants for his family.

I don't think he would have been the right choice for the Buffs but he isn't the kind of guy who uses an opening like CU just to get more money.

I have been meaning to write this since KD was hired. I am glad that I waited and the news of his contract extension is posted above.

To Troy Calhoun:

A profound thank you for your time, exploration, and consideration of the Buffs during an unprecedented time of difficulty for our beloved Buffs. You took time away from your team's spring practices and took political/media heat as a result of just being involved in our search. This is the honoring of the profound favor that you did CU, than rather than if there would or would not have been a good fit here in Boulder.

I wish you and the Falcons the very best on all weekends except when you play CU. I really like the idea of CU and AFA building a respectful rivalry over the coming years. Your sacrifice for CU in such a time of need, somewhat mirrors, Dee Dowis attending Sal Aunesse's funeral in full dress uniform some 30 years ago. Sal and Dee never played one another, but Dee attending Sal's funeral is something that has been been forgotten here in Boulder. A true class act, just as you are you and the Falcons.

Congratulations on the new contract. After a 10 win season and an overall great tenure at AFA, it was well deserved. Keep up the good work, and we look forward to our future game that the AFA. I have never been to the stadium and look forward to the visit.

I have been meaning to write this since KD was hired. I am glad that I waited and the news of his contract extension is posted above.

To Troy Calhoun:

A profound thank you for your time, exploration, and consideration of the Buffs during an unprecedented time of difficulty for our beloved Buffs. You took time away from your team's spring practices and took political/media heat as a result of just being involved in our search. This is the honoring of the profound favor that you did CU, than rather than if there would or would not have been a good fit here in Boulder.

I wish you and the Falcons the very best on all weekends except when you play CU. I really like the idea of CU and AFA building a respectful rivalry over the coming years. Your sacrifice for CU in such a time of need, somewhat mirrors, Dee Dowis attending Sal Aunesse's funeral in full dress uniform some 30 years ago. Sal and Dee never played one another, but Dee attending Sal's funeral is something that has been been forgotten here in Boulder. A true class act, just as you are you and the Falcons.

Congratulations on the new contract. After a 10 win season and an overall great tenure at AFA, it was well deserved. Keep up the good work, and we look forward to our future game that the AFA. I have never been to the stadium and look forward to the visit.
AFA games are fun. Go when you can cheer for the home team.

AFA games are fun. Go when you can cheer for the home team.
I can't support this strongly enough. I've been to three AFA games since moving here and had a blast each time.

• very different college experience than you'll get at a typical campus
  • I wasn't there for this, but the games are very family-friendly. all kinds of booths and stuff setup for kids
  • guaranteed flyover
  • second coolest live mascot in college sports
  • free parking / cheap ticket
  • I had not experienced this in decades, but there is a decent chance that the AFA game you're attending isn't televised, which means < 2.5 hours from kickoff to final.
  • excuse to have a day in Co Springs. go see Garden of the Gods or Pikes Peak or one of the cool State Parks in the area with your other 1/2 day

[*]I had not experienced this in decades, but there is a decent chance that the AFA game you're attending isn't televised, which means < 2.5 hours from kickoff to final.
The triple option helps *a lot* with that too.

Combined with their general strategy of "control TOP & control pace" = fast games, TV or no.

I've never been a Calhoun guy.

But damn if I don't look back and think that we'd have a stable, respectable program to be dissatisfied with if he'd been hired after Hawkins or any time thereafter when we've had an opening.

I've never been a Calhoun guy.

But damn if I don't look back and think that we'd have a stable, respectable program to be dissatisfied with if he'd been hired after Hawkins or any time thereafter when we've had an opening.
I feel the same way about Bronco Mendenhall - never loved him as a rumored option for CU, but I’d take him in hindsight and would rather be complaining about if we’ll ever win a conference title with him.

Does Calhoun or Mendenhall fit the profile of what we want our program to be? I don’t think so. Just because they’d be better than what we have doesn’t make them appropriate choices.

Does Calhoun or Mendenhall fit the profile of what we want our program to be? I don’t think so. Just because they’d be better than what we have doesn’t make them appropriate choices.
Exactly. And our administration constantly does worse than what we'd consider acceptable in a hire. There's a complete disconnect.

Neither guy really excites me and I’d still hope we could do better, but what do you mean by not fitting the profile we want our program to be?

Neither guy really excites me and I’d still hope we could do better, but what do you mean by not fitting the profile we want our program to be?
Just what I said - what do we want our program to be? A scrappy team that plays over its head (Boise), a fundamentally sound team with an identity but a ceiling somewhere under National championship level (Wisconsin, Utah, Iowa), an explosive team that’s fun to watch and might have a great run every once in a while (TT, BYU, WSU), a national championship caliber program (Ohio State, Alabama). We need to figure out what we want to be before we go hunting for coaches. Fit the coach to the vision, not the other way around.

Just what I said - what do we want our program to be? A scrappy team that plays over its head (Boise), a fundamentally sound team with an identity but a ceiling somewhere under National championship level (Wisconsin, Utah, Iowa), an explosive team that’s fun to watch and might have a great run every once in a while (TT, BYU, WSU), a national championship caliber program (Ohio State, Alabama). We need to figure out what we want to be before we go hunting for coaches. Fit the coach to the vision, not the other way around.
What do we want?

What do we want?
I think that depends on who you ask. I think if you asked most CU fans, we would be very satisfied with a Wisconsin/Iowa type program. Probably not winning any nattys, but wins more than it loses and is usually competitive. Those programs have an identity and stay in their lane. Ultimately, it’s RG who needs to answer your question, though. He seems to change his mind a lot. Either that, or he never figured it out in the first place.

I want a team that consistently recruits in the top 40 and is a normal fixture in the rankings between 20-30
This, and I kind of dgaf how we get there in football strategy.

What I do believe is that we only get there with a program that lives and breathes recruiting.

We could change out football identities 3-4 times over 20 years and be moderately successful pretty much continuously - if we recruited at a high level the entire time.

I want the first thing RG says when he introduces the new coach to be "we were looking for someone who knows how to recruit," and the first substantive thing the news coach says is "we're going to build a great recruiting staff."

I think that depends on who you ask. I think if you asked most CU fans, we would be very satisfied with a Wisconsin/Iowa type program. Probably not winning any nattys, but wins more than it loses and is usually competitive. Those programs have an identity and stay in their lane. Ultimately, it’s RG who needs to answer your question, though. He seems to change his mind a lot. Either that, or he never figured it out in the first place.
Remember when he used to say "compete for and win championships"? Haven't heard that in awhile. He went for someone that won't leave and won't embarrass CU and even failed there.

Last edited:
I’ll take the last option please

I’ll take the last option please
Then we will need to be prepared to do what it takes to get there. I don’t think we are willing to do that. We want to win championships without making the necessary commitments. Part of that is the cost of attendance. Are you prepared for the cost of your fandom to double or triple?

This, and I kind of dgaf how we get there in football strategy.

What I do believe is that we only get there with a program that lives and breathes recruiting.

We could change out football identities 3-4 times over 20 years and be moderately successful pretty much continuously - if we recruited at a high level the entire time.

I want the first thing RG says when he introduces the new coach to be "we were looking for someone who knows how to recruit," and the first substantive thing the news coach says is "we're going to build a great recruiting staff."

Tom Herman would be that-he had consistent top 10 nationally classes at Texas. I'd add Jim Harbaugh to this list if this is the year he and Michigan finally part ways-more likely he'll go back to the NFL, but that's a call I'd at least make if I were RG. Calhoun? Meh. The one thing I don't love about that right now is he'd probably have us running the same Mike Shanahan WCO we can't execute under these current clowns. If we're going with a G5 coach, give me Kalen DeBoer or Jeff Traylor.

Last edited:
People mocking Troy Calhoun, a coach that led his option team into Boulder and waltzed away with a win? The guy who got the academy to undo their weight limit laws until graduation so his O line can now get 300 lb kids instead of 235 lb kids? The coach who has a free house on a beautiful campus for as long as he works at the academy? The coach who rarely has to put up with student issues?

Why in the world would he want to move to Boulder? There’s not one good reason anymore.

Then we will need to be prepared to do what it takes to get there. I don’t think we are willing to do that. We want to win championships without making the necessary commitments. Part of that is the cost of attendance. Are you prepared for the cost of your fandom to double or triple?
Will my allbuffs membership increase?

Probably BS 💩...... but ...... somebody I know who works in the AFA AD, told me recently that the CU job was offered to Calhoun, but ultimately he rejected it because the CU AD refused to allow him to chose his own co-ordinators as RG was "forcing" Chev/Summers on him and he was "uncomfortable" with that

Back