What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

USC fires Clay Helton

Lakers and Dodgers, I get it. Outside of that, it's possibly the biggest fairweather pro sports town there is

Outside of the Lakers and Dodgers? These two franchises are the cream of the crop in attendance in their respective leagues.

Clippers, ok, but...they are the Clippers. Kings are hockey so nobody notices one-way-or-the-other. Football is new again, we'll see what happens.

Maybe, but LA's record at not being able to keep an NFL team for longer than 15 years is a prominent data point.

Huh? The Rams were in LA for 50 years before going to Stl. And now they're back. The Raiders were here for 23 years. The Chargers, nobody cares about them.

Huh? The Rams were in LA for 50 years before going to Stl. And now they're back. The Raiders were here for 23 years. The Chargers, nobody cares about them.
re: the Rams, thank you -- I was mistaken. they did play in LA from 1946-1979. the 15 year stint was 1980-1994 (which was technically Anaheim, but whatever).

can you please inform which 23 years the Raiders played in LA?

this was interesting -- thanks for encouraging me to dig.

for the ten years from 2010 - 2019:
  • Penn State hasn't been selling out, but had a total of 27 home games that drew less than 100k (< 3/year). of those, all drew over 90k
  • Georgia sold out every home game over that time except the UMass game in 2018 and Coastal Carolina in 2011!!!! //I'm shocked and impressed
  • Michigan sold out the home slate from 2015-19 and 2009-12(impressive). 6 games in 2014 not sold out, but all drew over 100k. in 2015, one non-sell out (Akron) also drew > 100k
  • Auburn sold out the home slate in 2014 and 2015, but also failed to sell out 3 games in 2019 and 2016, missed on two in 2010 (LA-Monroe and Chatanooga), didn't sell out a single game in 2012 or 2018, missed on 4 in 2011 and 2017, and missed on 6/8 in 2013. worth noting, all non-sellouts were >80k
fair noting that none of these schools reside in a population dense area anything close to LA.

and worth noting that when the above schools didn't sellout, they missed it by single digit percentages. USC has struggled to get above 75% capacity when any school besides ND plays at Memorial Coliseum.

and of course, Memorial Coliseum is smaller than the home stadiums of all of these other schools.

I also dug back to 1985, and couldn't find the last time USC sold out the home slate for a full season (posted above, in 2003 and 2004 -- the MNC* years -- USC only sold out one game each, although in fairness they drew better in 2005 and 2006). Think about that for a minute -- USC hasn't sold out their home slate since before most all members of this board were born, despite the advantage of being in the largest metro area and having a smaller stadium.

Again, I acknowledge that attendance isn't the only indication of fan support, but I do think it's a relevant one. USC is simply not in the same league as these other schools in this respect. I haven't been "boiling down the USC job to fan attendance"; I've been careful to label it as only one aspect.
If you conduct research on dooshbag density within the alumni and fan population, you will learn that USC remains a leader in college sports.

re: the Rams, thank you -- I was mistaken. they did play in LA from 1946-1979. the 15 year stint was 1980-1994 (which was technically Anaheim, but whatever).

can you please inform which 23 years the Raiders played in LA?
You’re right. The Raiders were in LA from 82-94. It’s all a blur :ROFLMAO:

Bobby Petrino and Nick Saban think this exit would be fast.
He also said that everyone at Fox was waiting for Urban to take the USC job when he was on the pregame desk there last year, but Clay Helton is the "ultimate survivor".

Basically comes down to the fact that Urban supposedly just isn't enamored with the NFL. We'll see, but I think it'd be hilarious if he quit the Jags mid season and joined USC in 2021

He also said that everyone at Fox was waiting for Urban to take the USC job when he was on the pregame desk there last year, but Clay Helton is the "ultimate survivor".

Basically comes down to the fact that Urban supposedly just isn't enamored with the NFL. We'll see, but I think it'd be hilarious if he quit the Jags mid season and joined USC in 2021
iirc, Lou Holtz resigned during his first season of dipping his toe in the NFL. Saban, I think, lasted 2 years. There's precedent for top college coaches to not like the NFL or be particularly good at it.

Maybe the mindset changed, but I don’t understand why they didn’t just fire Helton last year if all it took was a blowout to Stanford in week two
coming off a division champ, in a pandemic season -- that would've been really weird (not to say this is normal)

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Urban going to USC. Big name who will generate a lot of buzz, but probably wouldn’t be that great of a coach, given his supposed health issues and time away from the college game. At best he might help elevate USC in the short term before “retiring” again. At worst, he’s a train wreck that implodes in a year or two.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Urban going to USC. Big name who will generate a lot of buzz, but probably wouldn’t be that great of a coach, given his supposed health issues and time away from the college game. At best he might help elevate USC in the short term before “retiring” again. At worst, he’s a train wreck that implodes in a year or two.

Is that the same Urban Meyer who left Florida because of “health issues” and then went to Ohio State after a year off, where he lost an inexcusable 9 games in 7 seasons?

Lol that’s wishful thinking. He’ll crush it there just like he did in the Mountain West, SEC, and B1G

Unpopular opinion: It’d be in CU’s best interest if USC got an elite coach that elevated USC to elite national status and made it an annual contender given that the P12 media rights will be for renewal soon. Having USC live up to its potential would be a massive bargaining chip in those negotiations.

Urban leaving the Jags now would be pretty epic. He would set the bar for mercenary coach just a bit higher.
Yep, and he got the next prodigy at QB. To be honest, I'm not sure about Lawrence yet. Small sample size, I know. Thing is, situation and organization matter. He wouldn't be the first to flame out for a ****ty franchise.

coming off a division champ, in a pandemic season -- that would've been really weird (not to say this is normal)
SC boosters basically never wanted Clay from the start, fans never cared for him, they were always looking for a way to drop him. with the AD turmoil they had and somehow Clay always pulling out a win (or division championship) right when he needed it kept him around.

Bohn has wanted him gone for a while, so have fans, this was the excuse.

Back