What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

USC fires Clay Helton

iirc, Lou Holtz resigned during his first season of dipping his toe in the NFL. Saban, I think, lasted 2 years. There's precedent for top college coaches to not like the NFL or be particularly good at it.
When every team is on an even playing field and you don’t get to hand pick your team from the top talent in the country, the NFL doesn’t seem as fun for those guys. It’s just an entirely different game. Those guys go from being THE stars of their programs and bigger than all the players, to being just a coach and less relevant than the players for the most part.

Unpopular opinion: It’d be in CU’s best interest if USC got an elite coach that elevated USC to elite national status and made it an annual contender given that the P12 media rights will be for renewal soon. Having USC live up to its potential would be a massive bargaining chip in those negotiations.
Yep.

I don't know why everyone wants them to suck. Not like we've beaten them anyway. Besides, if we want CU to ever be great again we need a measuring stick. I don't think it's a coincidence that CU and NU declined together.

Unpopular opinion: It’d be in CU’s best interest if USC got an elite coach that elevated USC to elite national status and made it an annual contender given that the P12 media rights will be for renewal soon. Having USC live up to its potential would be a massive bargaining chip in those negotiations.
I don't think that's really all that unpopular. I'm not sure anyone likes it that much, but I'm pretty sure most of us grudgingly agree.

Is that the same Urban Meyer who left Florida because of “health issues” and then went to Ohio State after a year off, where he lost an inexcusable 9 games in 7 seasons?

Lol that’s wishful thinking. He’ll crush it there just like he did in the Mountain West, SEC, and B1G
It’s very possible that I’m engaging in some highly wishful thinking here. Still, I think it’s very likely that he could crush it for 2-3 years before retiring again. Overall, I like the idea of him going to USC, even if he does ridiculously well there. The exposure for the conference would be great, and it’s not like CU has been killing USC for years and this would be some kind of change. We will continue to lose to them regardless of who is coaching.

iirc, Lou Holtz resigned during his first season of dipping his toe in the NFL. Saban, I think, lasted 2 years. There's precedent for top college coaches to not like the NFL or be particularly good at it.
He was fired at the end of one disastrous season with the jets.

Totally agree with Klatt here about making these coaches say no, although I wouldn't have Kelly on that list. USC needs to shoot big. Chances are that those first 5 would all say no but MAKE them say no.

Cristobal should probably be in the top group and having Hafley and McDaniels on there seems odd.

Totally agree with Klatt here about making these coaches say no, although I wouldn't have Kelly on that list. USC needs to shoot big. Chances are that those first 5 would all say no but MAKE them say no.

Cristobal should probably be in the top group and having Hafley and McDaniels on there seems odd.

Joel Klatt knows exactly who the USC AD is. And that AD won’t be taking Joel’s advice. That’s kind of a weak assed passive aggressive bull**** move on Klatts part, if you ask me.

I think McDaniels is a very good coach, but would be disastrous as a recruiter.

Back