What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

USC hires Mike Bohn to replace Lynn Swann as AD

Going to be hilarious if USC leadership doesn't allow them to hire Meyer and FSU swooped in and got Stoops while USC was dithering around. I look forward to the months long search which results in the new staff hiring including at least one assistant related to someone from the search firm, Neinas says hi.

What’s the California version of I-25? I-5?

My money is on Rocky Long for next HC at USC.

If SC is now not willing to hire Meyer and Mark Stoops is gone as well by the time they figure it out, I would still be pretty worried if James Franklin gets that gig. He has a recruiting ceiling at Penn State and does very well with it. The "ceiling" at USC is a top 5 class year in and year out with the right coach.

Although the new report says it is back on track, this looks like a disaster. University politics between the President, perhaps new AD, and the Boosters have to be in there somewhere. If the Boosters control, it is probably Urban Meyer. The longer this goes on it is a dumpster fire... Could Bohn's wet feet be because if Meyer is not an option, he is not confident that he can bring in a Stoops, Franklin, Harbaugh (but would they even want him) or any other big name.

Although, Bohn may have resurrected his status in the University/AD department folks with Cinci and hiring Fickell, I'm not sure his status/repuation is all that good with the overall coaching community, especially assistant coaches. He hired Hawkins gave him an extension, then fired him and basically all his AC's went out to pasture. Many of those were bad, as nobody would coach for Hawklove. Then giving Embo only 2 years w/ a midseason "aura" of confidence (it is debatable whether there was a vote of confidence, but Embree and staff certainly thought they were coming back), and a sudden firing, those AC's were left with nothing and had to scramble for jobs.

Coaches don't like working for someone that they cannot trust. AC's do remember things like that. Some of that can be mitigated with the $$$ SC will spend, but not all. So for Bohn--unless he is assured of a great big name hire (this means the President says okay + Bohn has at least an oral commit from his target), there is no sense for him to take the job or for SC Boosters to even want him. Worst case, he could be left with a coaching search and have to entice Fickell and his staff, or stay with Helton for a couple of years. I can't see that flying in LA. It is funny to watch.

I wrote a post about Urban. If you ask me, the chances of hiring Urban and having more than a 5 year tenure at USC are 50%/50% at best. Will his health come into it? Will USC face sanctions over Varsity Blues or self-impose strict over-sight? Will he be able to do the same magic with his 4th team, as he did with the 3 other teams? Except for Utah (where you knew he was leaving), he recruited a ton of players at Florida and OSU that bet on him staying, and he suddenly left them hanging at the alter. Opposing coaches will use that against Urban in recruiting.

Although the new report says it is back on track, this looks like a disaster. University politics between the President, perhaps new AD, and the Boosters have to be in there somewhere. If the Boosters control, it is probably Urban Meyer. The longer this goes on it is a dumpster fire... Could Bohn's wet feet be because if Meyer is not an option, he is not confident that he can bring in a Stoops, Franklin, Harbaugh (but would they even want him) or any other big name.

Although, Bohn may have resurrected his status in the University/AD department folks with Cinci and hiring Fickell, I'm not sure his status/repuation is all that good with the overall coaching community, especially assistant coaches. He hired Hawkins gave him an extension, then fired him and basically all his AC's went out to pasture. Many of those were bad, as nobody would coach for Hawklove. Then giving Embo only 2 years w/ a midseason "aura" of confidence (it is debatable whether there was a vote of confidence, but Embree and staff certainly thought they were coming back), and a sudden firing, those AC's were left with nothing and had to scramble for jobs.

Coaches don't like working for someone that they cannot trust. AC's do remember things like that. Some of that can be mitigated with the $$$ SC will spend, but not all. So for Bohn--unless he is assured of a great big name hire (this means the President says okay + Bohn has at least an oral commit from his target), there is no sense for him to take the job or for SC Boosters to even want him. Worst case, he could be left with a coaching search and have to entice Fickell and his staff, or stay with Helton for a couple of years. I can't see that flying in LA. It is funny to watch.

I wrote a post about Urban. If you ask me, the chances of hiring Urban and having more than a 5 year tenure at USC are 50%/50% at best. Will his health come into it? Will USC face sanctions over Varsity Blues or self-impose strict over-sight? Will he be able to do the same magic with his 4th team, as he did with the 3 other teams? Except for Utah (where you knew he was leaving), he recruited a ton of players at Florida and OSU that bet on him staying, and he suddenly left them hanging at the alter. Opposing coaches will use that against Urban in recruiting.

Bohn gets a 1.5 out of 4 for football hires-at best.

What’s the California version of I-25? I-5?

My money is on Rocky Long for next HC at USC.

I guess driving on I-25 is five times better than driving on I-5. Given what Bohn could be earning, he can have someone drive him to USC all the time.

Long is getting up there in age. Maybe AFA's Calhoun would make that move west since that is so Bohn-esque. Or even MacIntyre. Oh boy they will riot in South Central if that happened.

I guess driving on I-25 is five times better than driving on I-5. Given what Bohn could be earning, he can have someone drive him to USC all the time.

Long is getting up there in age. Maybe AFA's Calhoun would make that move west since that is so Bohn-esque. Or even MacIntyre. Oh boy they will riot in South Central if that happened.
If they hired MacIntyre orange county would become a wasteland.

If I'm Bohn, I fire Helton on day 1. Promote the OC to head coach and see what happens the rest of the season. Nothing to lose. Like playing Stenstrom or Lytle. **** it, let's see what this boy's got!

If I'm Bohn, I fire Helton on day 1. Promote the OC to head coach and see what happens the rest of the season. Nothing to lose. Like playing Stenstrom or Lytle. **** it, let's see what this boy's got!

There's no way USC is going to repeat what they did with Helton and hire the interim HC.

The hiring of Bohn makes sense if the boosters and administration want a yes man in the position. Bohn does a decent job as a cleanup AD for schools in free fall with potential scandals brewing. The real question about USC is if their expectations meet who they can actually land. If they think they deserve a Urban Meyer and get something far lesser, than Bohn will bear much of the blame.

Going to be hilarious if USC leadership doesn't allow them to hire Meyer and FSU swooped in and got Stoops while USC was dithering around. I look forward to the months long search which results in the new staff hiring including at least one assistant related to someone from the search firm, Neinas says hi.

Assuming you're talking about Mark right?

The odds of Bohn putting some bull**** line about how he needs a year to evaluate Helton are higher than this lol

USC: You're hired if you can hire Urban Meyer
Mike Bohn: That's AWESOME. You have a deal

Hiring of MB gets leaked.

MB: Hey Urban, This is Mike Bohn. You might remember me from such movies as...
Urban Meyer: No
MB: Can you please just hear me out?
UM: No
MB: But I have a really AWESOME deal for
***Dial Tone****

MB: So, About that Urban Meyer thing. He doesn't want to coach anymore. This p***y is claiming his health is....
USC: You're fired

To save face, USC leaks that it never wanted Urban Meyer in the first place, and may not hire MB because of his "insistence" on hiring UM.
Everyone laughs at USC again for another classical botched hire. USC realizes that it might not be able to attract anyone else to run the AD.

USC: So, Mike, We think you can find a good coach that is not named Urban Meyer. But here's the thing, we have a lot of SUPER connected alumni that would be helpful to you as you determine leading candidates.

Mike Bohn: AWESOME. I'm listening. Hello? Helllooooooo?
USC: *murmurs* We're ****ed

***Dial Tone****

MB: So, About that Urban Meyer thing. He doesn't want to coach anymore. This p***y is claiming his health is....

To save face, USC leaks that it never wanted Urban Meyer in the first place, and may not hire MB because of his "insistence" on hiring UM.
Everyone laughs at USC again for another classical botched hire. USC realizes that it might not be able to attract anyone else to run the AD.

USC: So, Mike, We think you can find a good coach that is not named Urban Meyer. But here's the thing, we have a lot of SUPER connected alumni that would be helpful to you as you determine leading candidates.

Carol Folt knows scandals. She can’t afford Urb and baggage. And Urb is happy. Good outcome for both.

***Dial Tone****

More like usc remembered urban recruits murders, tarnishes programs and covers up domestic abuse. But hey, winning is important.

If Bohn goes to USC and Ubran is out, once Bohn goes through his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd tier candidates, I can always dream of the bottom of the rollerdex joker hire:

The Aggies won the Big Sky last year, he has California ties, great assistants, spreads the love:

This still makes me laugh today . . . Bohn screwed us!

Last edited:
Back