What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

USC hires Mike Bohn to replace Lynn Swann as AD

giphy.gif

Heh.
I think the first reaction from many folks around here will be that USC is crazy. However, if you think about it a little, he’s a pretty good choice. He’s familiar with the conference. He was the AD at SDSU, so he’s somewhat familiar with the area. He doesn’t have to be a huge fundraiser at USC, so his weakness in that area isn’t a big drawback. The boosters and admin wants a guy who will do their bidding, and he’s proven to be a good soldier. Probably a good choice. Albeit a choice that doesn’t fall in line with how USC typically operates. They like big names in big positions.

Heh.
I think the first reaction from many folks around here will be that USC is crazy. However, if you think about it a little, he’s a pretty good choice. He’s familiar with the conference. He was the AD at SDSU, so he’s somewhat familiar with the area. He doesn’t have to be a huge fundraiser at USC, so his weakness in that area isn’t a big drawback. The boosters and admin wants a guy who will do their bidding, and he’s proven to be a good soldier. Probably a good choice. Albeit a choice that doesn’t fall in line with how USC typically operates. They like big names in big positions.

Unfortunately USC does need a lot of fundraising. They also have several scandals which are still in progress. Bohn at least has been an administrator of an athletic program before which is something most of their recent ADs lacked. But I think Cincinnati and SDSU are the right level programs for Bohn, USC needs a strong hand right now while Bohn tries to appease everyone. Whoever takes the USC job will be walking into a mess with high expectations.

Heh.

HAHAHAHAHAHA I half expected to be re-directed to the Rick Roll song video when I opened that link. He was an awful AD here. Yes, he gave us Tad Boyle and the most successful era of Colorado basketball ever, but football coach hires make or break ADs. He hired the two worst coaches this program has seen in my lifetime in D2 and Embree. Luke Fickell fell into his lap in Cincinnati. This is great news for the rest of the conference.

Could you imagine say 10 years ago, any one of those guys turning down the USC AD job to stay where they are? I mean, I guess Texas and OU have been on par with SC, but VT, Clemson and Northwestern? The Pac 12 continues to be toxic right now.
USC is an especially toxic job due to the internal workings of that place. Their beat writers think that a lot of people in and around the program are more concerned with their personal influence/wants than the program. Also, maybe they went cheap or something?

Bizarre appointment. Experience in an AD role is like the only thing working for Bohn from my point of view.

Could you imagine say 10 years ago, any one of those guys turning down the USC AD job to stay where they are? I mean, I guess Texas and OU have been on par with SC, but VT, Clemson and Northwestern? The Pac 12 continues to be toxic right now.

This ain't a Pac-12 thing. It is all about USC.

He also steered CU through the post scandal ****storm, so that may be a contributing factor to his attraction to USC. They are looking for a guy who can fly the plane while it’s being repaired.
Might work, might be a blessing for the rest of the conference. USC is by far the highest profile program in the conference. I think the Bohn hate here would be better directed at Phil DiStefano. Bohn did as he was directed to do. But it’s also a lot easier to place all the blame on our failures at his feet. So be it.

Bohn is a terrible manager of football at the P5 level. His track record of hiring processes is terrible. How he managed to get played by Butch Jones' agent after leaking details like contract details and assistant coaching salary pool to the press is masterclass incompetence. Then losing most of the leverage in negotiations with his fallback choice was the cherry on top.

Bohn is a terrible manager of football at the P5 level. His track record of hiring processes is terrible. How he managed to get played by Butch Jones' agent after leaking details like contract details and assistant coaching salary pool to the press is masterclass incompetence. Then losing most of the leverage in negotiations with his fallback choice was the cherry on top.
True enough. Although that was what, seven years ago? Most people learn from their mistakes.
I think USC is looking at what he did at Cincinnati, not so much what he did here.

Still, the point is valid, he has never successfully managed a top tier D-1 football program. It will be very interesting to see how well he does there.

True enough. Although that was what, seven years ago? Most people learn from their mistakes.
I think USC is looking at what he did at Cincinnati, not so much what he did here.

Still, the point is valid, he has never successfully managed a top tier D-1 football program. It will be very interesting to see how well he does there.
Mike?

Not just football-his two women's basketball hires (McConnell Miller and Lappe) both failed here too. He lucked into Fickell at Cincinnati-that wasn't the first time I'd seen his name pop up in connection with G5 HC gigs after his year as the interim at Ohio State in 2011.

Secondly, I'd debate @Not Sure on him guiding CU through the "scandal". I think he took a bad situation and made it worse by hiring Danny Boy and then caving to the demands of the alums with the Embree hire. We know he interviewed Sparkles during that search-I believe he (or any other qualified candidate who didn't have ties to the program) could have gotten the job had Bohn wanted to go that way. We didn't truly start to recover from the scandal until RG got here.

Heh. No.
He wasn’t perfect, but he wasn’t as awful as he’s made out to be. He did some good things (Boyle, Hoops improvements, WLAX), he did some bad things (Embree, the Butch Jones circus, Hawkins). On balance, the AD was in better shape when he left that it was in when he got here. Like MM, he did what he needed to do but couldn’t do much more.
As has been pointed out, the football program is ultimately what any AD is judged on, and that’s especially true at USC. The football program at USC is sacred. He won’t have much margin for error.

I'm fine with Mike Bohn ****ing up coaching hires for USC for years to come. He's going to have to hire a new FB and possibly a new BB coach in the next 1-2 years.
His name will go on the contracts and he will stand at the podium and introduce them but those coaching hires will be decided by certain big money boosters. They will be SC guys or big names.

Food cart fiasco was enough for me.

He is a perfect fit for Cincinnati, u$c, no so much. Time will tell and he can't be worse than Swann, right?

Unfortunately USC does need a lot of fundraising. They also have several scandals which are still in progress. Bohn at least has been an administrator of an athletic program before which is something most of their recent ADs lacked. But I think Cincinnati and SDSU are the right level programs for Bohn, USC needs a strong hand right now while Bohn tries to appease everyone. Whoever takes the USC job will be walking into a mess with high expectations.

He was hired at Colorado when there was a scandal to clean up. So he has that on his resume too. Stabilizing things are returning to normalcy is probably part of the decision along with installing things to try and prevent trouble from happening again. He's a good manager in that regard.

Fundraising at USC is probably a lot easier than it was at CU. Their are alums are pretty well off.

His budget for hiring football coaches will be much larger than it was at CU. We lost millions if you recall in the transition from the BXII to the P12. Two years of revenue if memory serves.

This ain't a Pac-12 thing. It is all about USC.

Correct there are all sorts of internal structural, booster, and scandal issues a new AD is going to have to deal with, in addition to a riled up fanbase from being mediocre the last few year. A lot of guys who already have pretty good jobs didn't want that headache. Remember USC has been caught up in the Adiidas payola stuff, the paying for non-revenue scholarship stuff, and a pretty massive sex abuse case.

Back