What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to Ann Arbor Michigan

Sign stealing is serious business and the question I'm dying to ask is was Nebraska one of those schools that Michigan tried to steal signs from?

Sign stealing is serious business and the question I'm dying to ask is was Nebraska one of those schools that Michigan tried to steal signs from?
Why bother?

I always thought it was because Sefo got injured. Man...we had that game.
Well, there was a pattern of opponent defenses knowing our play calls. MI not withstanding. I’m wondering who decided to snitch on MI.

There is no logical reason for college football not having at least the QBs and ILBs mic'd up during games.

Obviously not, cuz Nebraska has such a great fan base and sellout streak. It would be impossible to get a ticket to memorial stadium.

Obviously not, cuz Nebraska has such a great fan base and sellout streak. It would be impossible to get a ticket to memorial stadium.
I guess I don’t get the big deal with buying tickets to games for scouting. I thought it was the going to practice and filming thing that was bad.

I guess I don’t get the big deal with buying tickets to games for scouting. I thought it was the going to practice and filming thing that was bad.
It says both are illegal per the NCAA in the linked article. If the stadium video evidence is compelling enough I would guess Michigan is pretty well screwed. The ticket purchases alone are compelling, but not tell tale.

The first NCAA rule in question is scouting in opposing stadiums, which has been in place since 1994. The second potential rule being broken, evidence of which had not been reported prior, could mean that Michigan violated Article 11 subsection H of the NCAA football rulebook: "Any attempt to record, either through audio or video means, any signals given by an opposing player, coach or other team personnel is prohibited."

It says both are illegal per the NCAA in the linked article. If the stadium video evidence is compelling enough I would guess Michigan is pretty well screwed. The ticket purchases alone are compelling, but not tell tale.
There’s this

but apparently also this

Unless you you want to argue technically CFP isnt NCAA Championships. (Doesn’t account for the 29 other instances though)

How hard is the rest of the B1G, specifically Ohio State, going to lobby for a massive hammer being dropped on Michigan?
If it were Indiana nobody would care.

Expect you are right though although as much as they would love to see Michigan get slapped down they are all worried about setting too harsh a precedent for when they get caught doing the things they are doing.

I suppose a penalty is in order since this was orchestrated and continual breaking of a rule that programs would be aware of.

But as a fan, it's hard for me to get worked up over this because I had no idea that going to an opponent's game to scout and recording film to review was against the rules. In fact, if you had asked me a week ago I would have figured it was something teams did.

If it were Indiana nobody would care.

Expect you are right though although as much as they would love to see Michigan get slapped down they are all worried about setting too harsh a precedent for when they get caught doing the things they are doing.
Eh, I don't think many other teams are doing in-person scouting like this. Sign stealing during games or maybe what you can get from the film is one thing, but there is legitimate evidence from multiple teams that Michigan has known all their calls and what plays are coming dating back to last year.

Ohio State basically had to fire Jim Tressel because Terrell Pryor and a few others got free tattoos (and he allegedly lied about some stuff). Harbaugh just got suspended 4 games this year for recruiting violations during COVID and getting caught trying to cover it up. He has already doubled down on these accusations that he had no knowledge of the cheating, but if there's compelling video evidence that this staffer was doing this, I think Michigan gets absolutely hammered and Harbaugh has no choice but to resign (or get fired).

Legit cheating that is directly tied to on-field performance can't be tolerated and the entire CFB world should be lobbying for the hammer to be dropped.

I suppose a penalty is in order since this was orchestrated and continual breaking of a rule that programs would be aware of.

But as a fan, it's hard for me to get worked up over this because I had no idea that going to an opponent's game to scout and recording film to review was against the rules. In fact, if you had asked me a week ago I would have figured it was something teams did.
Doing something that is blatantly against the rules in order to gain a material, in-game advantage over your opponents is hard to get worked up over simply because you personally didn't know it was against the rules? Ok....

Doing something that is blatantly against the rules in order to gain a material, in-game advantage over your opponents is hard to get worked up over simply because you personally didn't know it was against the rules? Ok....
Just not feeling the outrage. I agree with them facing NCAA penalties. And if Harbaugh knew & lied (again) he should face a "show cause" sanction.

Eh, I don't think many other teams are doing in-person scouting like this. Sign stealing during games or maybe what you can get from the film is one thing, but there is legitimate evidence from multiple teams that Michigan has known all their calls and what plays are coming dating back to last year.

Ohio State basically had to fire Jim Tressel because Terrell Pryor and a few others got free tattoos (and he allegedly lied about some stuff). Harbaugh just got suspended 4 games this year for recruiting violations during COVID and getting caught trying to cover it up. He has already doubled down on these accusations that he had no knowledge of the cheating, but if there's compelling video evidence that this staffer was doing this, I think Michigan gets absolutely hammered and Harbaugh has no choice but to resign (or get fired).

Legit cheating that is directly tied to on-field performance can't be tolerated and the entire CFB world should be lobbying for the hammer to be dropped.
Edit - Nevermind, saw your response to Nik. Makes sense.

It seems stupid that in person scouting is banned.

Your indignation may be well placed and you might be right in terms of how things will/should play out, but I have a hard time seeing this leading to Harbaugh's forced resignation or termination.
I think legitimate on-field cheating calls into question the integrity of the program going forward under Harbaugh's leadership. It goes beyond recruiting violations or players getting free tattoos, etc. and is on a similar level to the NFL dropping the hammer on players who get caught gambling. If the public sentiment is that a program or team is possibly cheating to win, it's a big deal.

Back