What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's our "rock bottom"?

In my opinion, there is a tremendous amount of institutional malaise at CU that shows up not just in athletics but also in the academic side of the house.

Key leaders throughout the organization have been in place for a very long time. They have been out of fresh ideas for a while now, and everything within the organization has back-slid.

Expected retirements from several of these key figures within the next couple of years should improve things.
I would say "could" improve things rather than "should".

I am very skeptical of our BOR and other major players within the CU system actually wanting a strong personality who will force through a dynamic vision in the President job. If the new person isn't a bureaucrat getting the job as a political reward payday, I'll start feeling some hope again.

I would say "could" improve things rather than "should".

I am very skeptical of our BOR and other major players within the CU system actually wanting a strong personality who will force through a dynamic vision in the President job. If the new person isn't a bureaucrat getting the job as a political reward payday, I'll start feeling some hope again.
You know, I truly debated typing both “could” and “should”. I elected to go with the more hopeful phrasing.

I think the Colorado Rockies mentality is becoming more firmly rooted in Boulder. It's more about getting butts into seats and Folsom Field is continuing to fill up with decent attendance numbers which means the money is continuing to roll in despite those trying seasons. There isn't much that can be done to reverse that trend in that case except stop buying tickets to those games. If that doesn't even work, what else can be done?

I like the recent hires of the S&C coach and the recent new OL coaching hire because that tells me CU wants to go to more of a physical running game which I believe is CU football and that is from the Big 8 days under McCartney.

I have basically downgraded my Buffs fandom to just watching rivalry games such as next year's AFA game, the upcoming CSU & Nub games, and maybe those AZ games. This is where I'm going with watching college football going forward. This is how I enjoyed the old Big 8 because of those border rivalries with not only the Nubs but the KS & OK schools. With OU leaving for the SEC, I think you can pretty much stick a fork into the idea of CU ever going back to the Big 12. CU is certainly a step above the MWC when you consider everything but it would be great to have more games against AFA, CSU, and Wyoming. We have CSU games coming up and one against Wyoming but I'd really like to see CU schedule more games against AFA and the Nubs in football.

CU football is stale because it seems like no Pac-12 rivalries have materialized so far. Maybe we need to be switched to the Pac-12 North so we play the OR & WA schools every year.

The stars have to align. The BOR have to immediately realize their next presidential hire has to embrace athletics as a key pillar in the burnishing of the Boulder campus image. That new president has to then clean house by immediately firing Phil DiStefano and then retool the athletic department’s approach to fielding a competitive football team. He or she will have to lobby the state legislature to allow more progressive approaches to NIL. If all that happens in the next 24 months, there may be a chance for CU to settle into a 7 to 8 win pattern as part of the second-tier of college football. If it doesn’t, I think CU could become a middling football program on the scale of New Mexico in five years.

You mean a libertarian approach to NIL. Taxing 90% of JBrou's youtube earnings isn't the sell to potential recruits you think it is. 👍

I think the Colorado Rockies mentality is becoming more firmly rooted in Boulder. It's more about getting butts into seats and Folsom Field is continuing to fill up with decent attendance numbers which means the money is continuing to roll in despite those trying seasons. There isn't much that can be done to reverse that trend in that case except stop buying tickets to those games. If that doesn't even work, what else can be done?

I like the recent hires of the S&C coach and the recent new OL coaching hire because that tells me CU wants to go to more of a physical running game which I believe is CU football and that is from the Big 8 days under McCartney.

I have basically downgraded my Buffs fandom to just watching rivalry games such as next year's AFA game, the upcoming CSU & Nub games, and maybe those AZ games. This is where I'm going with watching college football going forward. This is how I enjoyed the old Big 8 because of those border rivalries with not only the Nubs but the KS & OK schools. With OU leaving for the SEC, I think you can pretty much stick a fork into the idea of CU ever going back to the Big 12. CU is certainly a step above the MWC when you consider everything but it would be great to have more games against AFA, CSU, and Wyoming. We have CSU games coming up and one against Wyoming but I'd really like to see CU schedule more games against AFA and the Nubs in football.

CU football is stale because it seems like no Pac-12 rivalries have materialized so far. Maybe we need to be switched to the Pac-12 North so we play the OR & WA schools every year.
Isn't this what Tucker, MacIntyre, Embree and Hawk also wanted to do? Didn't they all talk about being a physical team that won by dominating on the ground? Not sure why this time it's different.

Isn't this what Tucker, MacIntyre, Embree and Hawk also wanted to do? Didn't they all talk about being a physical team that won by dominating on the ground? Not sure why this time it's different.
Hawkins and MacIntyre were about being "multiple" and have the flexibility to attack whatever a defense gave. College version of the way the Patriots were for so many years. Tucker was about wearing a team out with physicality and going for big plays in the passing game. Embree never figured out his philosophy- studying & secretly installing the Okie St offense over an entire offseason only to scrap it at halftime of the 1st game.

Other than some outliers like triple option & classic Air Raid, everyone wants to be "multiple" and they are. It's not an identity in itself to try to be balanced. So when I hear it, it's almost meaningless. I'm looking for the identity beyond that.

MacIntyre didn't really believe in this either. The thing that saved him was that he was/is a very good evaluator of talent...well, for non offensive line positions, he struck out on linemen at an absurd rate.
Macintyre believed in recruiting in unconventional ways. He never lost the chip on his shoulder from working at San Jose State. His line recruits were not great. Dorrell believes that scheme matters more than players. Macintyre wasn’t that stupid.

When most coaches talk about winning the game through physical play, it's all crap. Like a baseball coach saying if we pitch and hit better we'll win...no****. That said, the only one I remember talking about it more than a few media bites is Mel ****er. Regardless, at this point, I don't see consistent bowl eligibility so I'd rather have a Mac promise, Utah/USC get ready BC we're going to smack you in the mouth when we play.

Macintyre believed in recruiting in unconventional ways. He never lost the chip on his shoulder from working at San Jose State. His line recruits were not great. Dorrell believes that scheme matters more than players. Macintyre wasn’t that stupid.
Well, he's wrong then. Idgaf what scheme you run, better have the people to do it.

This sounds like a great addition to the Boomer thread. ****in boomers
What really gets my goat is these darn modern car washes where you have to get outta yer car and 4 kids ambush it with rags and such while you have to stand there eatin a Milky Way bar waitin for em to get done. Jeez Louise. Then you gotta cough up $11.95 for the whole shebang.
Gimme my bunch of quarters and I’ll spray the whole thing off in 5 minutes and be on to the Walgreens to pick up my prescriptions….

It wasn’t obvious to a lot of people at the time but joining the PAC was an immense mistake.
Not to say that it’s the cause of all CU’s woes but it has amplified them.

CU is a 'Zombie Program'. Its dead but doesn't know it yet. I agree with Nik, the program hit rock bottom a while ago but it will continue to skip across the bottom for a while. I imagine a 0 or 1 win season next year will be the next bottom.

The only thing that can resurrect the program is a complete top-to-bottom commitment to doing whatever it takes. A good, dynamic coach just isn't enough due to are too many all the new variables in college football. But that won't happen so.....

In what world would his NIL earnings be taxed at 90%?
You enjoy taking hyperbolic statements seriously I suppose? The joke is a closer examination of his poor choice of words. There is nothing left or right about paying people for goods and services, so unless you're talking about redistributing the top mens basketball earnings to the women's squad, Idk what a progressive nil is. Calling it a progressive nil program is like calling it a toasty nil program. Unless you're talking per diem aspects of the nil, is have no idea what you mean.

You enjoy taking hyperbolic statements seriously I suppose? The joke is a closer examination of his poor choice of words. There is nothing left or right about paying people for goods and services, so unless you're talking about redistributing the top mens basketball earnings to the women's squad, Idk what a progressive nil is. Calling it a progressive nil program is like calling it a toasty nil program. Unless you're talking per diem aspects of the nil, is have no idea what you mean.
I don’t think you know how NIL works.

Oh, I understand the humor now. I must be having a “literal” day.

bus bump GIF

Losing our two best players because the program is garbage, watching Utah in the Rose Bowl, and staring a potential 1-2 win 2022 in the face. I don't know how it could get much worse.
I suppose we could get hit with NCAA violations related to something Tucker did. There's always hope it can get worse.

You're welcome. I'm here to help.🙂

I don’t think you know how NIL works.

It's a 2 minute read. Not too complicated, it's basically one rule. Athletes can get paid for putting their herbie Hancock on a jersey, signing a shoe deal, doing a commercial for pizza hut, etc., but they can't get a bonus for scoring 6 td's on Saturday.

It's a 2 minute read. Not too complicated, it's basically one rule. Athletes can get paid for putting their herbie Hancock on a jersey, signing a shoe deal, doing a commercial for pizza hut, etc., but they can't get a bonus for scoring 6 td's on Saturday.
I‘m not questioning the rules themselves, more about your assumptions on outcomes.

The news about Rice today isn’t good but shouldn’t surprise. KD is basically starting over again with his coaching staff. Why stay when you know you can go somewhere else where you have more confidence in the success/stability of the coaching staff? Once the dust settles - which won’t happen until fall - we’ll be who were are and KD will hopefully be judged on the results. I didn’t like his initial coaching staff but felt he was put behind the eight ball due to the timing of his hire. I liked what he did after his first year overhauling the defensive staff but hindsight suggests he should have done the same on offense. Now he’s had his chance on offense so no more excuses. I like his coaching hires this off-season. Sanford was underwhelming but matches his philosophy so it makes sense to me. Are we at rock bottom? I don’t think so. Those Embree years were bad and were rock bottom for me. We didn’t even belong on the same field half the time. Are we moving upward? Clearly not. We’re basically running in place at this point which is frustrating because it means an 11th/12th place finish every year. If we are in this same place next year, KD should be replaced.

Stepping back to take in the bigger picture…it’s hard for me to see where college football goes and if doing what it takes to compete even makes sense for programs like CU. The sport needs a massive regulatory overhaul and until that happens maybe it’s not worth the investment? All non-SEC college presidents need to get control of things before Congress steps in. There is simply too much money involved for them not to do something especially with NIL coming online. As has been mentioned, college football needs a centralized, regulatory body whose sole focus is to keep the playing field level, lobby state governments to standardize NIL practices, and produce a multi-billion dollar playoff system. I have to believe every non-SEC conference is talking about this behind closed doors. Surely they can see the handwriting on the wall.

Back