What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who should be our next head coach?

Unreal we’re expecting/hoping to go through this sh!t again. Effin nightmare.
Announcing Bill Murray GIF

I said this in another thread and I’ll repeat here: RG needs to figure out what kind of program he wants to be and then hire somebody who knows how to recruit the kinds of players necessary to be that kind of program. If Wisconsin (for example) is our benchmark, then hire somebody with deep understanding of the culture, strengths and weaknesses of Wisconsin to bring that here. Where we have killed ourselves was going and hiring Tucker - an SEC guy with Big Ten roots who knows how to play big boy football and has certain expectations for how a big time program should be run - and then completely switching gears and hiring Dorrell - a career WR coach who had been away from college football for several years but also had some loose ties to CU. I’m not suggesting we go and hire the next up and coming DC at a major SEC school. I’m suggesting we first figure out what we want to be, and then commit the resources to get there. Lay out a roadmap, and follow it.

It’s pretty obvious Dorrell is not the guy. The next guy needs to have a plan that aligns with the vision of what RG wants the program to be. If the next guy leaves, hire somebody just like him. Don’t abandon the plan. Be consistent with your goals and your vision and you’ll eventually get there. We’ve been ridiculously inconsistent over the last 20 years, and it shows.
One guy who I *think* fits what we probably want to do is Tom Herman. He’s young, has strong ties to Texas and the Midwest. Can put together a solid staff, and is probably looking for a little redemption right now.

Last edited:
I said this in another thread and I’ll repeat here: RG needs to figure out what kind of program he wants to be and then hire somebody who knows how to recruit the kinds of players necessary to be that kind of program. If Wisconsin (for example) is our benchmark, then hire somebody with deep understanding of the culture, strengths and weaknesses of Wisconsin to bring that here. Where we have killed ourselves was going and hiring Tucker - an SEC guy with Big Ten roots who knows how to play big boy football and has certain expectations for how a big time program should be run - and then completely switching gears and hiring Dorrell - a career WR coach who had been away from college football for several years but also had some loose ties to CU. I’m not suggesting we go and hire the next up and coming DC at a major SEC school. I’m suggesting we first figure out what we want to be, and then commit the resources to get there. Lay out a roadmap, and follow it.

It’s pretty obvious Dorrell is not the guy. The next guy needs to have a plan that aligns with the vision of what RG wants the program to be. If the next guy leaves, hire somebody just like him. Don’t abandon the plan. Be consistent with your goals and your vision and you’ll eventually get there. We’ve been ridiculously inconsistent over the last 20 years, and it shows.
One guy who I *think* fits what we probably want to do is Tom Herman. He’s young, has strong ties to Texas and the Midwest. Can put together a solid staff, and is probably looking for a little redemption right now.

Good call on Herman. A hire like that would get me going back to games again.

If we’re gonna go down this route again, can someone PLEASE finally listen to @Duff Man and go for young coordinators?!?
Duff was all about Wilcox and Lake - he’s lost his hiring privileges!! I was a big Doug Nussmeier fan years ago, so I have no room to talk but…

I’d definitely not be afraid to go back to the Georgia well for Dan Lanning. Also:

Brent Pry
Jeff Banks
Billy Gonzalez
Marcus Freeman
Tom Herman

Duff was all about Wilcox and Lake - he’s lost his hiring privileges!! I was a big Doug Nussmeier fan years ago, so I have no room to talk but…

I’d definitely not be afraid to go back to the Georgia well for Dan Lanning. Also:

Brent Pry
Jeff Banks
Billy Gonzalez
Marcus Freeman
Tom Herman

Jeff Banks is a good call.

I’m all seriousness, I think that’s too high of a bar for this program.
Not as a career rehab start for him. He would view this job as Pac 12 is winnable and CU already has ties recruiting in Texas. He wouldn't look to be here long IMO.

Not as a career rehab start for him. He would view this job as Pac 12 is winnable and CU already has ties recruiting in Texas. He wouldn't look to be here long IMO.
Yeah, I know @ahoelsken wants to find the next buff for life coach, but if we can accept that whomever we hire is likely to leave in 3ish years, depending on how successful, then we should hope they aggressively pursue someone like Herman

I think that it is obvious to some of us that we need a new head coach for the 2022 season.

I think that CU needs to be bold. In all seriousness, I think we should go after Kevin Kelley.

I don’t see CU being competitive in the next few years without some drastic changes, and Kelley (and I am really being serious here) would bring that.

He is known as the maverick coach who almost never punts, does an onside kick on every kickoff, and goes for it on fourth down most of the time. It is all stats based.

He is currently the head coach at a small school, Presbyterian College, an FCS school in South Carolina. I am pretty sure we can get him. We need to be bold. He is a bold choice. Even if he fails it would be a glorious failure.
The Paul Westhead of college football? Pass.

Yeah, I know @ahoelsken wants to find the next buff for life coach, but if we can accept that whomever we hire is likely to leave in 3ish years, depending on how successful, then we should hope they aggressively pursue someone like Herman

Funny guy-and no, I don't want that. Frankly, I want whoever can find a way to just get us back to bowl games regularly. That shouldn't be that hard-especially in this dog**** league. Somehow, nobody (including your boy Melvin) has been able to do it. I'm not interested in going after some coordinator from the Nick Saban/Kirby Smart tree after Mel Tucker and the Steve Sarkisian flirtation, but Tom Herman would be great. He's got Texas buyout money for a while. No idea what he's making with the Bears, but they may owe him some after they inevitably can Matt Nagy. I'm also not real concerned about him moving on quickly-I don't see somebody in the south going hard after him given how vocal he was in his support of BLM (Texas' boosters didn't like this at all) last year. Could we lose him if we got him to somebody like Michigan after they inevitably part ways with Harbaugh? Sure-but I'm willing to take that chance. I'd also be all for hiring Harbaugh if he's available this winter.

Last edited:
Back