What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who should be our next head coach?

I actually think CU could be a very attractive program for Herman IF we make some AD changes (i.e. not requiring alum coaches). He got his lottery payday from Texas and we would have the budget for a leg up in salaries with a change. It would be a job that he could mold as he wishes. He would make an immediate impact in recruiting TX and CA. Colorado would be foolish not to have his agent on the horn right now.

Yes, I know we are fools, so this is unlikely.
This is exactly on point.

CU could be a significant program nationally. Not an Ohio State/Alabama/etc. level program but on the next level down.

This would require though not just the right coach but a decision on the administrative level to support a winning program financially and otherwise.

At this point though I see zero indication that anything like that is a remote possibility so we are stuck with what we are.

The right coach hire "may" bring us to a point where getting a lower to mid level bowl on a frequent basis is realistic and we may even have the rare breakout season contending for a division title but this would be the exception and would likely result in that coach leaving for a better job.

If we did actually get that level of institutional commitment we could go much further. I would also venture to say if this program had legitimate support that the revenues generated would make it much easier to hold on to a successful coach. We would be able to make a financial commitment that would keep coaches from leaving for most other programs.

I think it’s a remote chance that Dorrell gets the axe at year end. Anything’s possible, but given the revenue loss in 2020 and a $19 million (+/-) loan outstanding from the PAC 12, eating a large buyout seems unlikely unless a phantom donor miraculously appears. Don’t kill the messenger on this, but that’s how I see it.

The better thread question for this upcoming offseason may be who does CU go after for the OC position? Is it even possible to attract someone good with Dorrell’s future uncertain after the pivotal year three? A new coordinator could be looking at a one year gig if things don’t turn around in 2022.

I think it’s a remote chance that Dorrell gets the axe at year end. Anything’s possible, but given the revenue loss in 2020 and a $19 million (+/-) loan outstanding from the PAC 12, eating a large buyout seems unlikely unless a phantom donor miraculously appears. Don’t kill the messenger on this, but that’s how I see it.

The better thread question for this upcoming offseason may be who does CU go after for the OC position? Is it even possible to attract someone good with Dorrell’s future uncertain after the pivotal year three? A new coordinator could be looking at a one year gig if things don’t turn around in 2022.
Best we can hope for is a rehab project or a div 3 guy who runs a "so innovative it's getting into crazy" OC.

But, unless KD is actually willing to let the OC throw out his ****ty playbook, it'll be nothing but rearranging deck furniture.

Just speculation here but I wonder if we could get someone that is recently fired by another program who would want another chance.

Most coaching contracts include a provision that to collect the money owed the coach is supposed to attempt to find another head coaching job and the money owed is offset by the amount paid by the new school.

We are likely going to be paying KD his money one way or the other.

Find another coach who is getting paid say $3 million per year under their old contract. Pay him $1 million per year, let the other school pay the rest.

For CU is only ends up costing us an extra million per year. For the new coach he gets another shot as a head coach and if he is successful he gets a new contract for bigger money as soon as his old contract expires.

Just speculation here but I wonder if we could get someone that is recently fired by another program who would want another chance.

Most coaching contracts include a provision that to collect the money owed the coach is supposed to attempt to find another head coaching job and the money owed is offset by the amount paid by the new school.

We are likely going to be paying KD his money one way or the other.

Find another coach who is getting paid say $3 million per year under their old contract. Pay him $1 million per year, let the other school pay the rest.

For CU is only ends up costing us an extra million per year. For the new coach he gets another shot as a head coach and if he is successful he gets a new contract for bigger money as soon as his old contract expires.
You do realize that this has already been mentioned as a reason why Tom Herman would be a good hire, right?

You do realize that this has already been mentioned as a reason why Tom Herman would be a good hire, right?
I do, I also wonder who else might be in line to get fired this year.

Herman would be a solid shot for us but would he want us?

Herman would be a solid shot for us but would he want us?

HC hires are not made in a vacuum. Herman has a trail of slime that follows him wherever he goes. He fell from the Urban Meyer tree, the side of the tree that is all over the internet with a video of Meyer getting lap dance in a Columbus bar on Saturday.

The issue is 100% a schematic issue so unless Dorrell brings in an OC who is allowed to implement a brand new system it’s more rearranging on titanic.

HC hires are not made in a vacuum. Herman has a trail of slime that follows him wherever he goes. He fell from the Urban Meyer tree, the side of the tree that is all over the internet with a video of Meyer getting lap dance in a Columbus bar on Saturday.
So a guy who hasn’t worked for Urban in 7 years is a bad idea because his former boss was seen with a young woman at a bar in Columbus? And the “trail of slime” is an accusation of cheating on his wife by a guy who beat his own wife?

CU is ****ed if they are only hiring choir boys. Just keep KD and let the record be the record if that’s what we’re going for. And that was no lap dance by the way…

So a guy who hasn’t worked for Urban in 7 years is a bad idea because his former boss was seen with a young woman at a bar in Columbus? And the “trail of slime” is an accusation of cheating on his wife by a guy who beat his own wife?

CU is ****ed if they are only hiring choir boys. Just keep KD and let the record be the record if that’s what we’re going for. And that was no lap dance by the way…

In no way am I saying we shouldn’t hire someone because of an association with Meyer but there’s a LOT more trail of slime than just the asshole at Ohio State. His “health” issues at Florida, numerous stories both there an OSU about his womanizing, the fact that he supported the wife beater until politically he couldn’t anymore…. Urban is a first class piece of **** and I’m really enjoying his tenure in Jacksonville.

I dgaf about personal "slime."

I don't think any less of Utah, Florida or tOSU because of the time UM spent at those schools.

I might think less of him as a man, but interestingly I also don't think any less of him as a coach because he has an alleged history of getting a little on the side.

Similarly, I don't think any less of USC because they had an alcoholic as a coach. When it impacted his job, he had to be fired - but if it had stayed a personal problem, then, well, it's his problem, not the school's.

There is slime that does transfer from coaches to schools. But that is when the school as an institituon covers up for heinous actions like Pedo state, or baylor, or MSU, etc.

On the other hand, I have a huge ****ing problem with 1-11. I don't care if a coaches personal morals are as pure as the driven snow, if he's a loser, he needs to go.

In no way am I saying we shouldn’t hire someone because of an association with Meyer but there’s a LOT more trail of slime than just the asshole at Ohio State. His “health” issues at Florida, numerous stories both there an OSU about his womanizing, the fact that he supported the wife beater until politically he couldn’t anymore…. Urban is a first class piece of **** and I’m really enjoying his tenure in Jacksonville.
Of course, not what I’m saying though. How are Urban’s issues Tom Herman’s problem?

You do know that these are football coaches right? If he was pastor at a mega church or my Catholic chiurch that is problem.
Since he is just a football coach…good for him

Didn’t we almost hire Ryan Day before Urban abruptly retired and we pivoted to Tucker? An association with Meyer is apparently not an issue (and shouldn’t be).

ANOTHER reason to hate Urban! See people?!?

• Haha
Reactions: wip
I think we are losing focus. What is KD's graduation rate? #culturalfit Tucker left because CU doesn't care about football, nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't matter who the next coach is.
I think this is the behind the scenes actual problem. Success, but only with strings attached.

You really think a top hot shot OC will agree to coach CU right now?
A big pay day, chance to captain his own ship, taking over for a school in a very winnable division in a very winnable conference? Absolutely. The fact that you think someone wouldn't touch this job because we look bad just shows how ignorant you are in regards to college football.

A big pay day, chance to captain his own ship, taking over for a school in a very winnable division in a very winnable conference? Absolutely. The fact that you think someone wouldn't touch this job because we look bad just shows how ignorant you are in regards to college football.
I think the bigger factor is this job may be perceived as a career killer. Which isn’t exactly attractive to an up and comer. There are lots of jobs out there that pay well where they can also win much easier

It was not the case the lasst time CU was looking for a coach
The current Texas coach rejected the job. EB rejected the job. Dorrell only took the job because he livedi n Boulder.
I can only speak for my self and I am a fan of the CU. If I were a hot assistant coach with no head coach experience and I look at the state of the CU program. Would look at other options first and CU will have to pay a lot of money to myself and my assistants to get me to take the job. An agreemet that it will take maybe 2 or 3 years to turn things around. Success will not come immediately.

if the regents have a say in the matter, nothing will change. again, they'll be pointing out how much money gets "wasted" on football.

this board is getting to be total 'fantasy football'

if the regents have a say in the matter, nothing will change. again, they'll be pointing out how much money gets "wasted" on football.

this board is getting to be total 'fantasy football'
easy a burn GIF

It was not the case the lasst time CU was looking for a coach
The current Texas coach rejected the job. EB rejected the job. Dorrell only took the job because he livedi n Boulder.
I can only speak for my self and I am a fan of the CU. If I were a hot assistant coach with no head coach experience and I look at the state of the CU program. Would look at other options first and CU will have to pay a lot of money to myself and my assistants to get me to take the job. An agreemet that it will take maybe 2 or 3 years to turn things around. Success will not come immediately.
Right, because the fact that the search took place in the middle of February after the cycle had ended had nothing to do with it. You are technically correct in that they both rejected the job. But they rejected the job because of (simple) concessions RG and LC were not willing to make. If a competent contract negotiator was in charge of our AD, we could have had either coach. But he is not competent and so you see where we are now.

Back