What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Why was Noyer moved to DB?

Backup QBs should get run in games that are out of hand, not ones where the team has a 14 point lead in the first quarter. The problem is, coaches don't feel the need to run the offense in garbage time. If they would just do that, this discussion would be a moot point.
Cinci did that last week, I thought the coaches were going to fight after the game. Coach from East Carolina was pissed.
I see no problem letting 2nd string run the offense. if you run the score up so be it.

Bookmarking this thread to reference when people ask why the backup should get meaningful snaps. I don't care if you have PFM starting at QB - in college, your backup should get snaps when the outcome of the game is still in question.
Absolutely HATE to admit it, but that's exactly what Dr. Tom did for the Fuskers! Regularly put in the 2's in the second quarter of any game, to give them meaningful reps. Does a number of noticeable things: Builds experience and confidence in your depth; inspires guys to practice harder, offering more competition,because they enjoy seeing the field; and it forces everybody to focus on game prep since you KNOW you're going in!

(Offered that same advice of playing subs to my son's soccer coach when his top-level competitive U-17 team was struggling at 1-2. Coach took my advice and ran off a 11 game win streak; he also admiited to me later that the practices alone, were much more spirited and fun to coach!)

Absolutely HATE to admit it, but that's exactly what Dr. Tom did for the ****ers! Regularly put in the 2's in the second quarter of any game, to give them meaningful reps. Does a number of noticeable things: Builds experience and confidence in your depth; inspires guys to practice harder, offering more competition,because they enjoy seeing the field; and it forces everybody to focus on game prep since you KNOW you're going in!

(Offered that same advice of playing subs to my son's soccer coach when his top-level competitive U-17 team was struggling at 1-2. Coach took my advice and ran off a 11 game win streak; he also admiited to me later that the practices alone, were much more spirited and fun to coach!)
Unless you simply have no depth and it would do serious harm to your team your twos should all get at least some regular game reps when it is still competitive and you are running your normal stuff.

As you say in addition to getting them experience it also builds energy and enthusiasm.

I actually prefer instead of just sending in a second team you mix the twos in with the first team, and yes I include the QB in this. In addition to the advantages listed above it also means that you have backups who have at least some game experience with the ones. In the event of an injury or for some other reason you lose a starter in a game the backup and the ones have some familiarity and confidence in each other, makes that unplanned transition easier and more effective.

As much as Noyer has proven that beyond question he is the guy I would support Lytle (or Lewis if he is ready) getting at least a series or two in the first half.

Unless you simply have no depth and it would do serious harm to your team your twos should all get at least some regular game reps when it is still competitive and you are running your normal stuff.

As you say in addition to getting them experience it also builds energy and enthusiasm.

I actually prefer instead of just sending in a second team you mix the twos in with the first team, and yes I include the QB in this. In addition to the advantages listed above it also means that you have backups who have at least some game experience with the ones. In the event of an injury or for some other reason you lose a starter in a game the backup and the ones have some familiarity and confidence in each other, makes that unplanned transition easier and more effective.

As much as Noyer has proven that beyond question he is the guy I would support Lytle (or Lewis if he is ready) getting at least a series or two in the first half.
One of the advantages of building a powerhouse and playing a weak as **** non-conference schedule.

The last 4 minutes of Logan's podcast he talks Buffs. "What the hell were the last two coaching staffs looking at with respect to the QB position"

Offered that same advice of playing subs to my son's soccer coach when his top-level competitive U-17 team was struggling at 1-2. Coach took my advice and ran off a 11 game win streak; he also admiited to me later that the practices alone, were much more spirited and fun to coach!
Oh, you're one of those people. 😁

In some ways, Noyer spending a year at safety is probably a contributing factor to his success this year. He has said that playing defense gave him some insight to how defenders play. Their strategies, placement, etc.

We talk a lot about how important it is to get backups playing time. If the first two games are any indicator, Noyer playing Safety might have been a good move. He wasn’t going to get meaningful snaps at QB, but he got meaningful snaps.

In some ways, Noyer spending a year at safety is probably a contributing factor to his success this year. He has said that playing defense gave him some insight to how defenders play. Their strategies, placement, etc.

We talk a lot about how important it is to get backups playing time. If the first two games are any indicator, Noyer playing Safety might have been a good move. He wasn’t going to get meaningful snaps at QB, but he got meaningful snaps.
I certainly wouldn't recommend it for all QBs but in his case you are probably right.

His grasp of what a defense is doing is a big help in deciding where to look and when something might open up or close.

Getting on the field for real snaps (not garbage time) has another big impact as well. Things happen much quicker in the college game than they ever did in high school. Coaching is better, more time is spent in preparation, and everybody on the field is an athlete. It requires the brain to process at a much higher level and speed. You can't simulate it in practice, you can't match it doing "mental reps" the only way to do it is to experience it.

Even getting backups a few series of meaningful time can make a big difference. With it they can then apply that speed and complexity to their preparation time and be way ahead when they are needed in real time.

Adam kept telling me for 2 years that Noyer looked really good in practice.

I think that he's a much better fit in Chev's offense than he was in the Johnson/Tucker offense. Anyway, Noyer looked really bad in his limited game opportunities before this year.

Even this year, he misses a lot of throws. He's got great command of the offense, though, and is making excellent decisions while spreading the ball around to keep defenses off balance.

I think that he's a much better fit in Chev's offense than he was in the Johnson/Tucker offense. Anyway, Noyer looked really bad in his limited game opportunities before this year.

Even this year, he misses a lot of throws. He's got great command of the offense, though, and is making excellent decisions while spreading the ball around to keep defenses off balance.
It honestly just goes to show how effective a true dual threat QB can be. That’s been at least half of his effectiveness and reason for offensive success

He misses a lot of throws? Maybe it’s misperception, but I thought he had been hitting on throws way more than missing.

He misses a lot of throws? Maybe it’s misperception, but I thought he had been hitting on throws way more than missing.
We've been trained to set the bar low with CU quarterback play. Noyer isn't very accurate and is sometimes way off. But he's making good decisions and most of his balls are at least catchable. That has made him an upgrade along with him being a leader.

Can you imagine what the offense would look like if he made all these throws he’s been missing? Chev really has done a terrific job designing an offense to this point in the season.
What's impressed me most with Chev is the evolution of his offensive play calling in regard to the run game. Also, he seems to be attacking vertically a bit more (even though it's basically a horizontal attack scheme). He has gotten a lot better.

It’s still early but Chev also seems to have benefitted from not having a Klayton Adams anchor tied to his waist. Adams was beyond terrible.
To expand the point, there were challenges with FHCMM and organizational issues about who was a career obstacle to whom, where loyalties lay, etc. I suspect there was a lot of politics with certain individuals who hoped that the team and their group succeeded while undermining others and hoping those others would catch the blame. That was a thing with Leavitt, too.

Last edited:
We've been trained to set the bar low with CU quarterback play. Noyer isn't very accurate and is sometimes way off. But he's making good decisions and most of his balls are at least catchable. That has made him an upgrade along with him being a leader.
Well, he’s 35-55 with 1 int which is a 63.6% clip and over 8 ypc. That’s pretty competitive. And there have been a few bad drops by receivers.

Back