What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Your final thoughts on 2018 recruiting class?

A year after reaching the top 20 and as high as 12th, on top of some of the nicest facilities on one of the nicest campuses of one of the top universities in the land, Mac can’t even pull in a top 50 recruiting class. :mad:

I just wonder how Wisconsin does it. Starting this year and going back to the 2010 class, their 247 rankings have been 44, 39, 35, 41, 32, 40, 65, 44, 46

In that same time frame, they've gone to a bowl game every year, won their division 6/8 years, won the BIG 3 times and subsequently gone to 3 Rose Bowls (2010, 11, 12), have wins in the Outback, Holiday, Cotton and Orange bowls, won 10 or more games 6 times and their worst season was Beilema's last in 2012 where they went 8-6 (still played in the Rose Bowl that season, btw). Un****ingbelievable.

They're definitely an aberration when it comes to to correlating recruiting classes to high-level success. I think a big part of it is their walk-on program combined with their style of play bringing in alot of big, physical kids and playing a style that makes the most advantage out of those type of players. It's probably similar to how Nebraska was doing it in the 80's and 90's - that was in the pre-recruiting rankings era but I'd be willing to bet that Nebraska's classes during that time wouldn't have ranked very high on a consistent basis. Those Nebraska teams put a ton of emphasis on their walk-on program, played a similar style, and both of these schools are the only FBS program in their respective states.

They're definitely an aberration when it comes to to correlating recruiting classes to high-level success. I think a big part of it is their walk-on program combined with their style of play bringing in alot of big, physical kids and playing a style that makes the most advantage out of those type of players. It's probably similar to how Nebraska was doing it in the 80's and 90's - that was in the pre-recruiting rankings era but I'd be willing to bet that Nebraska's classes during that time wouldn't have ranked very high on a consistent basis. Those Nebraska teams put a ton of emphasis on their walk-on program, played a similar style, and both of these schools are the only FBS program in their respective states.

A big part of Wisconsin's success is in who their recruits are. Colorado and Wisconsin may have a similar class in numbers and rankings but our highest rated recruits are WRs and DBs, Wisconsin has a similar number of high 3* kids but their's are OL and DL. Their WRs are kids we wouldn't be interested in but their linemen are better prospects, and they aren't filling their class with Juco's.

Old football adage but almost always true. Games are won on the line of scrimmage, they recruit well where it matters.

Our “brand” is ranked below Baylor somehow to recruits

I don't know how they collected their data but I find this to be a fascinating metric. All of us that are past our twenties tend to analyze a kid's college choice in the same manor that we would choose a real estate investment. This list shows me that 18 year old kids are just not that analytical. They are looking for buzz.

I'm wondering how much Dave Platti plays into the creation of a brand for our football team. Much about the projection of our brand seems antiquated to me. Am I looking in the wrong direction? What are the responsibilities of the "Sports Information Director"?

Our “brand” is ranked below Baylor somehow to recruits

So the PAC 12 has numbers 5,6,9,12T and we can't get a team into the playoffs for two straight years.

Also they have Cal way ahead of CU, no don't buy it.

Couple of thoughts...
First, the chart has no scientific merit, other than to say that recruits are not thinking of CU in any of their immediate thoughts, and that is what needs to be worked on.
Second, flash points like PJ Fleck and his boat rowing crap, or Oregon uniforms and Chip Kelly, or Baylor scandals create buzz, whether positive or negative.
Third, we were really getting primetime ESPN run during the 2016 season and respect and comments like a legendary program is coming to life.
But then the following happened that took all the wind out of our sails:
1) Lost PAC 12 and Bowl game in boat race fashion
2) Had an assistant coach scandal that painted the program poorly
3) Went 5-7 following a 10-4 season and the spotlight shut off and went back to ignoring us
I like MAC as a man and as a program builder, but you need someone like PJ Fleck to bring some serious attention to your program. There is no way that Minnesota should ever be considered a bigger brand than Colorado. Everyone at the athletic department needs to understand branding.

True if we win 10 in 2018. Can walk you through the calculus.

So by your logic, if MM doesn't have a major laden senior squad, he loses more than he wins. So we should expect another losing season in 2018 correct?

On the other hand, you said your calculus spit out 10 win seasons every other year.

I see a 7-5 season in 2018.

So by your logic, if MM doesn't have a major laden senior squad, he loses more than he wins. So we should expect another losing season in 2018 correct?

On the other hand, you said your calculus spit out 10 win seasons every other year.

I see a 7-5 season in 2018.
Syko, you perhaps should read his original post, the calculus is explained. You son, are completely missing the point.

I kind of shake my head over 247s class rankings. ASU had 2 four stars to the Buffs 1, and 19 three stars to the Buffs 20; Yet they're ranked 16 spots higher. I don't really believe that their 3* guys are that much better than ours.

I kind of shake my head over 247s class rankings. ASU had 2 four stars to the Buffs 1, and 19 three stars to the Buffs 20; Yet they're ranked 16 spots higher. I don't really believe that their 3* guys are that much better than ours.

I think you can make an argument we have some underrated players, so I get the frustration in regards to ASU.

Honestly, more startling is the gap between the top four teams and everyone else. Those four teams smoked everyone else.

As I think about this class, I see myself rationalizing that it is decent. On deeper thought, I realize that we are so far away from competing at the highest levels of college football with the current staff. As each year goes by, I am falling into the camp that says we are permanently relegated to being a 6th-8th place conference team on average.

As I think about this class, I see myself rationalizing that it is decent. On deeper thought, I realize that we are so far away from competing at the highest levels of college football with the current staff. As each year goes by, I am falling into the camp that says we are permanently relegated to being a 6th-8th place conference team on average.

IMO that's too pessimistic.

Nah, we're just the tortoise v the hare, and hopefully when we return to regularly above average, the administration won't let us fall again.

I think we have some small but real, sustainable growth and a teeny bit of momentum left from 2016 that, if we win at least 7 this year, will translate to recruiting better in the trenches. I think you're a tad too pessimistic, though I totally understand how you arrive to that point. I'm taking the long view, and think the trajectory is toward the top half of Pac12 by the end of 2020, and 3rd thru 5th by 2023. I know I'm crazy, but BnG KoolAid is what I drink.

I blame marketing - and the Pac12 is not helping our cause. Kids are finicky and emotional with their decisions. Just need to win... only way to change the reputation.

The guy who runs picksixpreviews main twitter handle is a Nebraska fan. Idk that this specific “data” is compromised by his bias, but it’s pretty clear it’s not an accurate representation of college brands. Like Nik pointed out, Bama’s ranking on the list for example.

He tweets stuff like this all the time, which is accurate but Nebraska’s ’17 class actually had a higher average and was only 1 spot worse. No big deal because it’s technically an accurate tweet, but if you follow him, you’ll notice how much he tries to force Nebraska into conversations.

Again, not a big deal because Frost is the HC at Nebraska now, but he made sure to use a picture with the N front and center despite Frost’s achievements coming at UCF.

He also does this thing where he makes his prediction for 20 matchups each week by placing the winning helmet on the left and the losing helmet on the right. Win or lose, he had Nebraska on the board every single week they played, even against NIU and Illinois.

Tldr: don’t take that Nebraska homer too seriously. :p

Edit: not hating on the man, I would do the same exact thing for CU lol.

Last edited:
I give the class a D. Mostly because I was told “it’s ok that MacIntyre keeps making phenomenally stupid coaching decisions at crucial moments that cost us games, because his recruiting keeps getting better”. His latest class is ranked like 20 spots below his previous class, but I’m sure he will beat USC & UCLA with this type of recruiting combined with his game day coaching

I give the class a D. Mostly because I was told “it’s ok that MacIntyre keeps making phenomenally stupid coaching decisions at crucial moments that cost us games, because his recruiting keeps getting better”. His latest class is ranked like 20 spots below his previous class, but I’m sure he will beat USC & UCLA with this type of recruiting combined with his game day coaching
You do know how the score for those rankings, right? This year’s class is better than last year’s even though it “ranks” lower. Or at least the class is about the same. I do agree that we have to be much better.

Jesus. You guys are so freaking bitter. This is a good class for the state of the program. You guys expect way too much. It’s great to have expectations, but most of AllBuffs think that this is still the buffs from the early 90s and we were still relevant to blue chip players. We aren’t, and may never be again.

Back