What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013-14 Coaching Carousel Thread

That's revisionist history most likely, he had just beaten Oklahoma unless you have it in writing/dated, I'm not going to believe that.

I think it had been a year since he'd beaten OK, and we were seeing the unexpected decline in 08, no?

Lot of political pressure will be put on the State's flagship institution to not steal from their church. Won't happen in my opinion.

Of course, someone else will take Briles in the next year either way, so that would be a very short sighted decision. Unless of course Briles is some sort of Baptist zealot. Maybe Baylor's his dream job? I don't know his background.

I think filling UW with the Boise staff makes the hiring of Petersen worse.

I don't get that thinking I guess. Peterson knows his guys and didn't bring them all, just the ones he thinks are very good. They know his system and how he does things. Hiring Hawkins without Peterson was the issue. Peterson bringing his whole staff should translate well. They will continue to recruit the areas they have always recruited and they will have those same relationships with HS coaches.

My concern with Peterson and boys is that it appeared they were no longer dominant in the MWC. People have caught up to their spread offensive system it would appear. I'd also say they seemed to have made some personnel mistakes as they didn't have the talented playmakers this year like they've had in the past. Their recruiting rankings had really elevated, but the talent level didn't track that.

The recent results in Boise would be a red flag to me. Proceed with caution. He'll have some great talent at UW, led by Cyler Miles who I think will be all-conference very soon.

That's revisionist history most likely, he had just beaten Oklahoma unless you have it in writing/dated, I'm not going to believe that.

Well, the OU game was 07, for starters, second, if you go back and look, there really wasn't much accomplished after that, The aTm and WVU wins were about it. Everybody else was pretty much shellacking the Buffs. What sealed it for me was watching the KU game in '08. After the mid-part of '07, every DC was loading the box and watching Cody flail at trying to beat them over the top. HaLk couldn't or wouldn't fix it. Watching a nobody safety from KU come from the center of the filed to the sideline to pick one of CH's deep floaters convinced me there was a problem HaLk couldn't or wouldn't fix. Believe it or not, I don't care, but at least get your facts straight before you call me out.

Well, the OU game was 07, for starters, second, if you go back and look, there really wasn't much accomplished after that, The aTm and WVU wins were about it. Everybody else was pretty much shellacking the Buffs. What sealed it for me was watching the KU game in '08. After the mid-part of '07, every DC was loading the box and watching Cody flail at trying to beat them over the top. HaLk couldn't or wouldn't fix it. Watching a nobody safety from KU come from the center of the filed to the sideline to pick one of CH's deep floaters convinced me there was a problem HaLk couldn't or wouldn't fix. Believe it or not, I don't care, but at least get your facts straight before you call me out.
I already addressed that. My dates were off. I don't disagree with you as much now.

Anyone else think there´s a remarkable lack of buzz surrounding this Texas search?

Briles stays at Baylor or goes to Washington Redskins

My uneducated guess is James Franklin...he has hit a ceiling at Vanderbilt

What has Schiano done since leaving Rutgers to become a viable candidate at a program like PSU? If PSU is really interested in him then I don't get it.

I don't get that thinking I guess. Peterson knows his guys and didn't bring them all, just the ones he thinks are very good. They know his system and how he does things. Hiring Hawkins without Peterson was the issue. Peterson bringing his whole staff should translate well. They will continue to recruit the areas they have always recruited and they will have those same relationships with HS coaches.

My concern with Peterson and boys is that it appeared they were no longer dominant in the MWC. People have caught up to their spread offensive system it would appear. I'd also say they seemed to have made some personnel mistakes as they didn't have the talented playmakers this year like they've had in the past. Their recruiting rankings had really elevated, but the talent level didn't track that.

The recent results in Boise would be a red flag to me. Proceed with caution. He'll have some great talent at UW, led by Cyler Miles who I think will be all-conference very soon.

Well stated and I agree with much of this.

I'm actually happy that Peterson is taking his guys. As much as I loved Wilcox he'll probably land a HC gig soon. There is no better way to do well then to surround yourself with people you know and trust. At this point Petersen deserves a chance doing it his way with his guys. Time will tell...

Anyway, Petersen could be the next Hawkins, or he could just as easily be the next Saban. I think he'll fall somewhere in between. I think he'll easily be the best coach at UW since Don James in the worst case scenario. Not to mention, UW is quite deep with skill players and they return both OL and DL intact. People forget that Petersen has previously coached in the Pac at Oregon in the 90s so this is not a completely new arena with regards to talent-level.

I'm not convinced Miles will ever be starter for UW moving forward, however. If he is then great, but he'll have to earn it. It was reported during the last Spring practices that true Frosh Troy Williams (he redshirted) had the best arm (and possibly athleticism) of all UW QBs, including Price. Watching what I saw of Miles this year has me wondering about his arm strength, decision-making and accuracy. He's a great runner but the coaches definitely limited his game. It is going to be a battle for QB1 and I anticipate that the 2nd or 3rd place finisher between Williams, Miles and Lindquist potentially leaves UW. Nobody, including the coaches right now, probably has any idea who will start next year.

Last edited:
Anyone else think there´s a remarkable lack of buzz surrounding this Texas search?

Mark May last night was pimping Brian Kelly for the job. I don't know if he was doing it to get under Lou Holtz's skin or if he really believed it. If he was doing it to get under Lou's skin, I support that approach. If he really believes it, he should be fired for incompetence.

Both were blathering on and on about what a great job the UT job is. I suppose they're right in a lot of ways. Tons of talent in your own back yard. No equal in terms of facilities or admin support. Fans that fill up a 100+ plus seat stadium with no questions asked. OTOH, the expectations at a place like that are impossible to meet. You're not just a football coach at UT. You're a PR guy, too.

Well stated and I agree with much of this.

I'm actually happy that Peterson is taking his guys. As much as I loved Wilcox he'll probably land a HC gig soon. There is no better way to do well then to surround yourself with people you know and trust. At this point Petersen deserves a chance doing it his way with his guys. Time will tell...

Anyway, Petersen could be the next Hawkins, or he could just as easily be the next Saban. I think he'll fall somewhere in between. I think he'll easily be the best coach at UW since Don James in the worst case scenario. Not to mention, UW is quite deep with skill players and they return both OL and DL intact. People forget that Petersen has previously coached in the Pac at Oregon in the 90s so this is not a completely new arena with regards to talent-level.

I'm not convinced Miles will ever be starter for UW moving forward, however. If he is then great, but he'll have to earn it. It was reported during the last Spring practices that true Frosh Troy Williams (he redshirted) had the best arm (and possibly athleticism) of all UW QBs, including Price. Watching what I saw of Miles this year has me wondering about his arm strength, decision-making and accuracy. He's a great runner but the coaches definitely limited his game. It is going to be a battle for QB1 and I anticipate that the 2nd or 3rd place finisher between Williams, Miles and Lindquist potentially leaves UW. Nobody, including the coaches right now, probably has any idea who will start next year.

You're a lot more optimistic than I would be if I were a UW fan. Saban isn't Saban because he developed 3 star guys into All-Americans. I just don't see anyone on the Boise staff that can recruit to the level that they would need to.

Mark May last night was pimping Brian Kelly for the job. I don't know if he was doing it to get under Lou Holtz's skin or if he really believed it. If he was doing it to get under Lou's skin, I support that approach. If he really believes it, he should be fired for incompetence.

Both were blathering on and on about what a great job the UT job is. I suppose they're right in a lot of ways. Tons of talent in your own back yard. No equal in terms of facilities or admin support. Fans that fill up a 100+ plus seat stadium with no questions asked. OTOH, the expectations at a place like that are impossible to meet. You're not just a football coach at UT. You're a PR guy, too.

It would have to be someone who would actually enjoy the LHN commitments and the hobknobbing with boosters. Franklin probably makes the most sense from that standpoint among the names mentioned. I get the impression that he loves looking at and hearing himself.

You're a lot more optimistic than I would be if I were a UW fan. Saban isn't Saban because he developed 3 star guys into All-Americans. I just don't see anyone on the Boise staff that can recruit to the level that they would need to.

I don't see why any UW fan wouldn't be optimistic. Most by far are excited for Petersen. We got a 92-12 coach to replace our 34-29 coach. We have a coach who has proven the ability to develop talent and who has won 2 BCS bowls and achieved coach of the year honors. He's spent 5 years in the Pac as a position coach previously and has a good record as a HC against Pac teams.

You can probably count the elite college coaches with one hand. There's not many and it's why Saban is still Saban. Petersen could become elite or he could utterly flop and we'll just have to watch his teams to find out. I'm thrilled to have a head coach with a proven track record over a guy who was learning on the job though. Sarkisian, bless his heart, was a good recruiter but gave UW fans no reason to think he could ever become an elite coach. Undisciplined play while leading the country in penalties seemed to be his specialty.

Is Petersen the long-term answer for UW? I have no idea. But he's clearly a significant upgrade in coaching talent.

I don't see why any UW fan wouldn't be optimistic. Most by far are excited for Petersen. We got a 92-12 coach to replace our 34-29 coach. We have a coach who has proven the ability to develop talent and who has won 2 BCS bowls and achieved coach of the year honors. He's spent 5 years in the Pac as a position coach previously and has a good record as a HC against Pac teams.

You can probably count the elite college coaches with one hand. There's not many and it's why Saban is still Saban. Petersen could become elite or he could utterly flop and we'll just have to watch his teams to find out. I'm thrilled to have a head coach with a proven track record over a guy who was learning on the job though. Sarkisian, bless his heart, was a good recruiter but gave UW fans no reason to think he could ever become an elite coach. Undisciplined play while leading the country in penalties seemed to be his specialty.

Is Petersen the long-term answer for UW? I have no idea. But he's clearly a significant upgrade in coaching talent.

Colorado fans in '06

Colorado fans in '06

If you think Petersen = Hawkins then I see why you'd say that.

I personally think they're different. I see Petersen as a guy with a longer and better track record in addition to his previous Pac-10 coaching experience. Not to mention his BCS bowl wins as HC. Petersen could certainly turn out to be Hawkins II. I would say it's just as likely if not more likely he'll be Saban II. I doubt he'll be either.

I think he'll be somewhere between those extremes, and I'm happy Sarkisian is no longer at UW. .

Petersen is probably an upgrade, but I would argue the staff as a whole isn't. As far as leading the country in penalties, I think that's more officiating than anything else when 4 teams are in the top 10. Also, how many of Petersen's 92 wins were against quality opponents, less than 20?

My only concern with Petersen is on the booster obligations, fan pressure and media microscope of being at a big program. That seems to be the biggest culture shock when coaches leave Boise State. These coaches are used to the community, university and local media all being in the same boat. Very little criticism or obstacles. Can Petersen handle negativity? Can he handle powerful factions that believe football is over-emphasized within the university landscape? Can he handle it when the local talk shows and fishwraps rip his team, the coaching and the in-game decisions even after a win? How will he handle it when powerful boosters start wanting changes to his coaching staff?

Coaching in the big tent is a whole other ballgame.

My only concern with Petersen is on the booster obligations, fan pressure and media microscope of being at a big program. That seems to be the biggest culture shock when coaches leave Boise State. These coaches are used to the community, university and local media all being in the same boat. Very little criticism or obstacles. Can Petersen handle negativity? Can he handle powerful factions that believe football is over-emphasized within the university landscape? Can he handle it when the local talk shows and fishwraps rip his team, the coaching and the in-game decisions even after a win? How will he handle it when powerful boosters start wanting changes to his coaching staff?

Coaching in the big tent is a whole other ballgame.

My concern with Petersen was the coaching staff. I thought he'd be fine if he brought good coaches with him, but it's basically the Boise staff with the OC that Florida just fired.

Back