What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013-14 Coaching Carousel Thread

Mark May last night was pimping Brian Kelly for the job. I don't know if he was doing it to get under Lou Holtz's skin or if he really believed it. If he was doing it to get under Lou's skin, I support that approach. If he really believes it, he should be fired for incompetence.

Both were blathering on and on about what a great job the UT job is. I suppose they're right in a lot of ways. Tons of talent in your own back yard. No equal in terms of facilities or admin support. Fans that fill up a 100+ plus seat stadium with no questions asked. OTOH, the expectations at a place like that are impossible to meet. You're not just a football coach at UT. You're a PR guy, too.

I heard Lou argue that Penn St was in better a recruiting hotbed than U of Miami. Dumbass.

I heard Lou argue that Penn St was in better a recruiting hotbed than U of Miami. Dumbass.

sshLoouu doeshhen't hab da jawb for hissh preshiesh commentarshy. It ish becaushe he ish a respeshted name in da bushnish.

The whole slight towards coaches not being able to step up and do it on the big stage is just so misplaced.

Gus Malzahn took a step from Springdale High School to become the OC at Arkansas, in one year. Didn't miss a beat.

Genius is genius. Nobody should understand this better than CU fans, who hired the wrong guy.

I would have no concerns with Peterson bringing his guys to UW assuming they were his first choices. None. UW will be really good this year as I really believe Sarkisian ended up holding them back.

Also, Kiesau got stiffed. Sark kept the USC OC instead of bringing Kiesau along. Rarely done that way. Sark has never worked with Clay Helton, but he took a stranger over his own guy. Wow.

My only concern with Petersen is on the booster obligations, fan pressure and media microscope of being at a big program. That seems to be the biggest culture shock when coaches leave Boise State. These coaches are used to the community, university and local media all being in the same boat. Very little criticism or obstacles. Can Petersen handle negativity? Can he handle powerful factions that believe football is over-emphasized within the university landscape? Can he handle it when the local talk shows and fishwraps rip his team, the coaching and the in-game decisions even after a win? How will he handle it when powerful boosters start wanting changes to his coaching staff?

Coaching in the big tent is a whole other ballgame.
He was whining earlier this year when Boise stubbed their toe. And that was when he was the big fish in the little pond. Wait till Husky fan has his ass for dropping a game to Wazzu or the Ducklings....

The whole slight towards coaches not being able to step up and do it on the big stage is just so misplaced.

Gus Malzahn took a step from Springdale High School to become the OC at Arkansas, in one year. Didn't miss a beat.

Genius is genius. Nobody should understand this better than CU fans, who hired the wrong guy.

I would have no concerns with Peterson bringing his guys to UW assuming they were his first choices. None. UW will be really good this year as I really believe Sarkisian ended up holding them back.

Also, Kiesau got stiffed. Sark kept the USC OC instead of bringing Kiesau along. Rarely done that way. Sark has never worked with Clay Helton, but he took a stranger over his own guy. Wow.

Does Kiesau know anything about coaching special teams...

Malzahn's staff is made up of guys that have coached and been successful in the SEC for years, so not a good comparison with Petersen.

I agree with you. If you can coach and manage a staff, you can do it at any level. It's the other things that make the big stage difficult (including the egos when dealing with a different class of athlete). If Petersen fails in Seattle, it won't because he forgot how to coach or manage a staff.

I agree with you. If you can coach and manage a staff, you can do it at any level. It's the other things that make the big stage difficult (including the egos when dealing with a different class of athlete). If Petersen fails in Seattle, it won't because he forgot how to coach or manage a staff.

My argument is whether the rest of the staff can coach and also they're not scaring anyone as recruiters either.

Peterson has been in a situation where he had to truly prepare for 3-4 games a year. The rest of the schedule was basically exhibition games where the biggest question was how soon de we start playing the backups and developing them for the future.

In the PAC he is going to face teams on almost a weekly basis that can beat him, and some that have notably better talent than he does. It will be a different world.

The advantage he has over Hawk is that he is coming into a program that has competitive talent at most positions. Hawkins came into a situation where he had to build a program instead of just steer it and Hawk clearly failed.

I don't expect Peterson to be highly successful at UW. The past history of Boise coaches for the most part hasn't been good, not just Hawkins but we will see.

Peterson is more like MM than Hawkins, but with a better, longer track record. Both staffs can coach, the biggest question is recruiting. Peterson isn't starting with a bare cupboard, but can he keep it stocked?

I thought the knock on Hawkins was that he didn't get the Boise staff to come to CU… especially Peterson.

My concern with Petersen was the coaching staff. I thought he'd be fine if he brought good coaches with him, but it's basically the Boise staff with the OC that Florida just fired.

Peterson is more like MM than Hawkins, but with a better, longer track record. Both staffs can coach, the biggest question is recruiting. Peterson isn't starting with a bare cupboard, but can he keep it stocked?

Peterson isn't making this leap without trusting that he has the staff who kept his last program consistently successful and can flat out coach. The talent will be better at UW and they are already getting the most talented of Boise's 2014 class who had BCS offers to flip commitments. Unlike with Hawkins' CU staff, the PNW recruiting connections the old Boise staff has will be much more beneficial.

Hawk's first CU staff was roughly 50% Boise: Helfrich (Koetter's QB coach at Boise and ASU), Collins, Strausser, Riddle, Bandison, and Pitman. Of that group, Strausser did one year at CU and went right back to BSU. Any other coach with identifiable talent got poached, including Helfrich from the Boise list and Jeff Grimes who was brought in to replace Strausser. The familiarity in this case did not yield great results because it was tough for Hawkins to retain quality coaches once they showed any competence under him and the lack of Big 12 experience outweighed the positive which was a solid working relationship with the staff brought over. Chris Petersen has absolutely studied the curious case of Dan Hawkins and should have a wealth of information on what not to do at the next level. I trust him. The biggest things I'll be looking for is if he can recruit at the level of Sarkisian or above to Washington and if he can match the offensive prowess.

Soooooooo... Franklin/Golden/Schiano or a wild card for PSU? Whoever it is should welcome Ron Vanderlinden back with open arms.

Is Penn State still under interim AD and Admin leadership? They might want to get that figured out before they hire a new coach. I'm sure that played a role in O'Brien leaving after just 2 years.

Is Penn State still under interim AD and Admin leadership? They might want to get that figured out before they hire a new coach. I'm sure that played a role in O'Brien leaving after just 2 years.

I also wonder if PSU and O'Brien also had an idea that after a period of time the NCAA would either say you've had enough and pull the sanctions or some kind of legal or backroom manuverings would bring an end to them and things would just go "back to normal."

I don't doubt that the NCAA would like to do just this since PSU is one of the "big money" programs. Instead even though it has been much quieter people haven't taken a forgive and forget approach and to ease the sanctions would bring a new firestorm of bad publicity.

Instead even though it has been much quieter people haven't taken a forgive and forget approach and to ease the sanctions would bring a new firestorm of bad publicity.

I think with JoPa passing and Sandusky put away, I think the public's gotten the punishment they really wanted. The NCAA stuff could be relaxed and I don't think too many people raise a stink unless they hired someone remotely connected to the scandal, which is a possibility. Penn State will really want to hire a "Penn State" guy next.

I think with JoPa passing and Sandusky put away, I think the public's gotten the punishment they really wanted. The NCAA stuff could be relaxed and I don't think too many people raise a stink unless they hired someone remotely connected to the scandal, which is a possibility. Penn State will really want to hire a "Penn State" guy next.

I agree with you on that part. It will also help them when they finally get the legal action against Curley, Spanier, and Schultz in the rear view mirror.

Problem for them is that this wasn't a football issue or a cheating issue. It dealt with sexual abuse of children and the public isn't going to just let that pass. They can likely now get away with bringing in a Penn State guy as coach, especially if he has had some time away from the university and wasn't involved in the accusations of cover up or denial.

On the other hand the sanctions aren't going to go away, they are going to have to ride those out in full. There are lots of people who wanted the program completely shut down and an easing of the sanctions would be met with a loud and ugly response the NCAA doesn't want to deal with.

I'm not sold that it's a good idea for psu to hire "one of their own". Sandusky was there for a very long time, so it would seem that quite a few coaches now available to become the hc would have crossed paths with the uberperv while at Happy Valley.

That's a can of worms better left unopened.

I'm not sold that it's a good idea for psu to hire "one of their own". Sandusky was there for a very long time, so it would seem that quite a few coaches now available to become the hc would have crossed paths with the uberperv while at Happy Valley.

That's a can of worms better left unopened.

That is the attitude that caused CU to not survive its own scandal. PSU had an unbelievable winning tradition, excellent graduation rate, and a clean record on NCAA infractions. They need to implement some policies to make sure that a Sandusky type thing never happens again (which would likely be the case even if they did nothing, to be honest) and then hire the best football coach for carrying on everything else that was built there. **** any of the PC stuff that may ruffle some feathers if the new coach worked alongside Sandusky. A lot of good men did over the years.

Ask CU/ND how that worked out. I'd cast a wide net. I've mentioned this before but Mac1 wasn't a "CU guy" when he was hired but he became one.

Sort of in both cases -- Joyner I think has said he'd step down in the near future and I believe Erickson said he wouldn't seek a new contract.

I don't think that's why he left though. I think it was two-fold. First of all, sanctions weren't supposed to be this bad. Second, he's an NFL coach, I think he prefers that and Houston is a good situation.

There was talk this morning on ESPN that a big factor in Bill O'Brien leaving was a constant pressure from what they called the Paterno clan being constantly reminded that JoePa would do things differently.

They say you never want to be the guy who replaces a legend, you want to be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced the legend. In this case I don't think that's going to help.

The only way to get past the legend is to win enough to make that irrelevant and with their sanctions that isn't going to happen. Other than that you wait long enough for the supporters to die off.

The other option is to give the supporters of the legend what they want and have it turn out so badly that they don't have much choice but to shut up. Unfortunately that leaves you in the hole that M2 finds himself in at CU.

Last edited:
There was talk this morning on ESPN that a big factor in Bill O'Brien leaving was a constant pressure from what they called the Paterno clan being constantly reminded that JoePa would do things differently.

They say you never want to be the guy who replaces a legend, you want to be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced the legend. In this case I don't think that's going to help.

The only way to get past the legend is to win enough to make that irrelevant and with their sanctions that isn't going to happen. Other than that you wait long enough for the supporters to die off.

The other option is to give the supporters of the legend what they want and have it turn out so badly that they don't have much choice but to shut up. Unfortunately that leaves you in the hole that M2 finds himself in at CU.

I saw the same interview. He was dropping fbombs about the "joe Paterno people" left and right. He was really pissed off at "those people". I had never seen the interview he gave on Dec 4th and this explains why he left. I hope they stay irrelevant for years.

It seems that there would be a lot negativity generated if psu hired one of "their own", if that person was at Happy Valley when uberperv was there. The families of the victims, attention seeking lawyers, and the media would be up in arms if that hire is made. jmho

Guessing PSU hires Schiano, which would work out nicely for them.

I think this would be a good hire as well. He was successful at the college level and he knows the area and where to recruit. Plus, Schiano would be able to deal with the media and the old JoPa crowd.

I still don't understand how they are even allowed to compete. They created a culture to foster and cover up intense abuse for decades. Makes me sick. Money talks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back