What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013-14 Coaching Carousel Thread

So if Louisville just brings back Petrino, do they win the off-season hires?

That's as safe a re-tread as bringing Dennis Franchione back to Texas St. BP had one outstanding season at Arkansas and several good ones at UL and can recruit. A coordinator like Chad Morris or Kirby Smart could be tabbed to lead them into the ACC but someone who's already led a program may be a smarter choice to maintain a consistently good program rather than learn on the job. I think they win anywhere from 5 to 8 games next year while adjusting to the new conference regardless of the coach, but someone like Petrino is more likely to have them ready to play immediately and keep recruiting momentum going right away.

Rodriguez seems to be the leading candidate. That would be a major blow to Zona.

I think this ends up with Rich Rod getting a raise at Arizona. Louisville is willing to pay a good amount for their coach, other than that, I don't see it as a better job.

Louisville is a much better job IMO. Mainly because Zona is just not a good football job.

Louisville is a much better job IMO. Mainly because Zona is just not a good football job.

I don't know if I agree, to me neither job is real good. They're both basketball schools, but Arizona has a lot more in state talent. Like I said, I give Louisville a slight edge because of salary but maybe that will change with Pac-12 money for Arizona.

Going into the ACC, Louisville's the better job. More competition, but more talent within a decent radius than Arizona. Louisville's a b-ball school, but their entire AD is very strong, like they take the place of a professional franchise for the city.

Going into the ACC, Louisville's the better job. More competition, but more talent within a decent radius than Arizona. Louisville's a b-ball school, but their entire AD is very strong, like they take the place of a professional franchise for the city.

I just don't see it being that much better where you would leave one for the other.

Big difference is the jobs coaches get after coaching at each school. Big time edge to Louisville.

I just don't see it being that much better where you would leave one for the other.

Yeah, I dunno on that. I think it would mean RichRod does not like the ceiling he has at Arizona. I think currently, in the ACC, Louisville has a lot of potential, vs. what he's looking at in the future in the Pac.

Yeah, I dunno on that. I think it would mean RichRod does not like the ceiling he has at Arizona. I think currently, in the ACC, Louisville has a lot of potential, vs. what he's looking at in the future in the Pac.

Currently 3 guaranteed games a year against schools which have the potential to stomp you even if you're talented enough to be a bowl team. UCLA, USC, and ASU every year plus a rotation of UW, Stanford, and Oregon in there and 8-5 looks to be about the yearly ceiling. Florida State and Clemson being your only competition to really be scared of at the moment and Louisville looks to be on an easier path to a good bowl game. The recruiting grounds are in Rich Rod's old Big East footprint and with some good work early in his tenure there he could get the second tier recruits between Ohio State and SEC territory. A lateral program to move to but factoring in Rich Rod's history and the competition of both conferences currently it may be a blessing that this has opened to rejuvenate his coaching career above even what he is doing now.

Louisville's AD desperately wants football to be great too... not sure bout zona.

Louisville's AD desperately wants football to be great too... not sure bout zona.

This.
Plus DickRod and wife are from nearby which could weigh more heavily.
DickRod's wife Rita is known to be money hungry and calls the shots.

It's always the risk when you go hire someone who is essentially a mercenary like Todd Graham or RichRod. No ties to the program. No tradition. No family ties.

We very much could be in this same situation in a year or two. Or not. But it's a risk we took.

This.
Plus DickRod and wife are from nearby which could weigh more heavily.
DickRod's wife Rita is known to be money hungry and calls the shots.

It's always the risk when you go hire someone who is essentially a mercenary like Todd Graham or RichRod. No ties to the program. No tradition. No family ties.

We very much could be in this same situation in a year or two. Or not. But it's a risk we took.

When has HCMM ever been accused of being a mercenary?

Currently 3 guaranteed games a year against schools which have the potential to stomp you even if you're talented enough to be a bowl team. UCLA, USC, and ASU every year plus a rotation of UW, Stanford, and Oregon in there and 8-5 looks to be about the yearly ceiling. Florida State and Clemson being your only competition to really be scared of at the moment and Louisville looks to be on an easier path to a good bowl game. The recruiting grounds are in Rich Rod's old Big East footprint and with some good work early in his tenure there he could get the second tier recruits between Ohio State and SEC territory. A lateral program to move to but factoring in Rich Rod's history and the competition of both conferences currently it may be a blessing that this has opened to rejuvenate his coaching career above even what he is doing now.
exactly. RR would make that move IMO. It will be interesting to see.

Is Louisville really a better job than Arizona? That doesn't make sense to me.

According to USA Today Jim McElwain may get a look at the job. My guess is he would jump at that opportunity in a second.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...football-coaching-vacancy-evaluation/4316865/
From the story:
What's good about the job:
The structure left in place. Remember that Louisville bottomed out in the period between Bobby Petrino's departure for the NFL in 2006 and Strong's arrival in 2010 — going 15-21 from 2007-9.
I look forward to 15-21 over 3 years being a "bottomed out" condition rather than something I would cheer for.

Might be a better job for Rich Rod. I could be wrong on this, but Louisville might also be more likely to look the other way when he wants to bend the rules. Arizona seems more likely to run a tight ship.

Louisville has Papa John's money behind it and they are making a push to be a real player. Moving to the ACC is a big deal. Arizona's FB has been spotty, and they may be regarded as a BB school in most ways. The kicker is Kentucky isn't far from WV, which IIRC, RR and Rita call home. I would say Louisville is at least on par with AZ, and maybe a better long term gig.

Guaranteed Sparkles' agent is working the phones.

Louisville has Papa John's money behind it and they are making a push to be a real player. Moving to the ACC is a big deal. Arizona's FB has been spotty, and they may be regarded as a BB school in most ways. The kicker is Kentucky isn't far from WV, which IIRC, RR and Rita call home. I would say Louisville is at least on par with AZ, and maybe a better long term gig.

Guaranteed Sparkles' agent is working the phones.

Doesn't Louisville also have FedEx money? I seem to remember FedEx offering big money to any BCS conference that would take Louisville a while back.

"Is Louisville really a better job than CSU? I mean we're a bowl team, we would have had a Heisman winner next year but he had too much integrity to stay in school, our current coach has won 2 national championships, and we're about to have a brand new stadium - it's one of the best jobs in the Big 12! If coach does leave we should get a long look from Cowher, he's ready to get back into coaching and he'd definitely want to coach with Joey Porter. If not him, then probably Gruden."

- Ram Fan

Back