What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013-14 Coaching Carousel Thread

This year could be the biggest in a long time for Big Time programs replacing Head Coaches.

Rating some of the hires - my opinion only.

USC - Sarkisian, I give this one a C. Sarkisian is a noted recruiter but always lost a couple his team should not have lost.
UDub - Peterson, I give this one a B- with an asterisk. Peterson has shown he can coach and his teams are ready to play. Recruiting is going to be a question. He was suppose to be a good recruiter at Oregon but that was some time ago. His new staff is mostly made up of guys with Boise State ties..that is a concern. Jonathan Smith is the OC. I liked this hire more when it was made than I do now, I probably have a little bit of Hawkins burn out.
UT - Charlie Strong, I give this one an A. He is a very good recruiter and that never hurts. I think he will bring a tougher approach to Texas football. We will see who he brings in for his staff.

Still open - Penn State and Louisville and of course when those are filled it could create other openings at FBS schools. I expect PSU to hire an existing HC. Not sure what Louisville will do but the Rich Rod rumor is interesting.

Woody Paige on Around the Horn was just gushing about charlie strong and how he tried to get him the Colorado job. Everyone else laughed. Can we please be good soon.

Louisville may have crapped out on RR. They have interviewed their DC, forget his name, and Booger Watson, their OC. Also, a move is afoot to bring back Petrino, but I am not sure that is going to happen.

Perv. St. didn't get Golden, interviewed Munchak and may be looking at Franklin.

This year could be the biggest in a long time for Big Time programs replacing Head Coaches.

Rating some of the hires - my opinion only.

USC - Sarkisian, I give this one a C. Sarkisian is a noted recruiter but always lost a couple his team should not have lost.
UDub - Peterson, I give this one a B- with an asterisk. Peterson has shown he can coach and his teams are ready to play. Recruiting is going to be a question. He was suppose to be a good recruiter at Oregon but that was some time ago. His new staff is mostly made up of guys with Boise State ties..that is a concern. Jonathan Smith is the OC. I liked this hire more when it was made than I do now, I probably have a little bit of Hawkins burn out.
UT - Charlie Strong, I give this one an A. He is a very good recruiter and that never hurts. I think he will bring a tougher approach to Texas football. We will see who he brings in for his staff.

Still open - Penn State and Louisville and of course when those are filled it could create other openings at FBS schools. I expect PSU to hire an existing HC. Not sure what Louisville will do but the Rich Rod rumor is interesting.

Will be interesting to see who Strong hires as his staff. If he gets a good O-coordinator and one of the QBs steps up I think Texas will improve immediately. They should be solid defensively.

Will be interesting to see who Strong hires as his staff. If he gets a good O-coordinator and one of the QBs steps up I think Texas will improve immediately. They should be solid defensively.

I tend to agree with you. I think it's a good hire (unfortunately). But it looks like not everyone agrees...

[tweet]420341013106798592[/tweet]

[tweet]420341867171950593[/tweet]

Wikipedia:
Billy Joe "Red" McCombs (born 1927) is the founder of the Red McCombs Automotive Group in San Antonio, Texas, a co-founder of Clear Channel Communications, Chairman of Academi (formally Blackwater Worldwide), a former owner of the San Antonio Spurs, Denver Nuggets, and the Minnesota Vikings, and the namesake of the McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas at Austin. He was named one of Forbes magazine's top 400 richest Americans in 2005.

In 2012, the San Antonio Express-News reported McCombs' net worth at $1.4 billion. He was ranked the 913th richest man in the world. Two other San Antonio men, Charles Butt of the H-E-B supermarket chain and Rodney Lewis, a natural gas driller, were placed above McCombs on the list.[1]

Louisville may have crapped out on RR. They have interviewed their DC, forget his name, and Booger Watson, their OC. Also, a move is afoot to bring back Petrino, but I am not sure that is going to happen.

Perv. St. didn't get Golden, interviewed Munchak and may be looking at Franklin.

Awful for PSU. I'd hate the Munchak fire if I was them and Franklin is interviewing for NFL jobs but will go to PSU? What is Plan D?

I tend to agree with you. I think it's a good hire (unfortunately). But it looks like not everyone agrees...

And this is why being the head coach at Texas isn't quite as appealing as they think it is.

Weird Texas coaching search fact: the committee that was formed to do the search, never even met.

And this is why being the head coach at Texas isn't quite as appealing as they think it is.

Is there a big booster in college football that ADs have the stones to tell him to go pound sand?

Strong will be good. Not sure about MNC good, but good. How would the fan base be with a coach who wins 10, but never the big one (after Brown)? I think expectations may be too high. Would want to be the good who replaced the guy who replaced Brown.

Is there a big booster in college football that ADs have the stones to tell him to go pound sand?

Strong will be good. Not sure about MNC good, but good. How would the fan base be with a coach who wins 10, but never the big one (after Brown)? I think expectations may be too high. Would want to be the good who replaced the guy who replaced Brown.

Part of the job of an Athletic Directer is to "Manage" the big money boosters. If you don't have them you probably don't have a program but if they have to much influence you don't have a successful program.

The issue with Texas is that they have a bunch of big money boosters who all think they should have more influence than they should. The problem isn't different than other schools, just magnified, maybe exponentially due to the amount of money and the culture. It means that you have lots of money for facilities and salaries and etc. it also means that you have louder, more urgent voices in your ears all the time.

Some coaches welcome this. Mack did a great job with it. He was by all accounts almost magic at getting wallets openned up as the owner smiled. On the other hand I can certainly see some other very good coaches saying "Enough is enough, just let me spend some time coaching football."

Luckily UT has more than a few boosters, you aren't goign to make everyone happy. He did a great job running the Vikings after all.

Part of the job of an Athletic Directer is to "Manage" the big money boosters. If you don't have them you probably don't have a program but if they have to much influence you don't have a successful program.

The issue with Texas is that they have a bunch of big money boosters who all think they should have more influence than they should. The problem isn't different than other schools, just magnified, maybe exponentially due to the amount of money and the culture. It means that you have lots of money for facilities and salaries and etc. it also means that you have louder, more urgent voices in your ears all the time.

Some coaches welcome this. Mack did a great job with it. He was by all accounts almost magic at getting wallets openned up as the owner smiled. On the other hand I can certainly see some other very good coaches saying "Enough is enough, just let me spend some time coaching football."
Better to have Texas problem of "too many boosters" than Ok St or Oregon's "problem" of one person having too much control. Ultimately, I'd rather have the latter "problem" than no problem at all.

It seems like it's better to have a T Boone or Knight than a bunch of rich guys. Pleasing one person is easier than pleasing 30. Can't make everyone happy all of the time.

It seems like it's better to have a T Boone or Knight than a bunch of rich guys. Pleasing one person is easier than pleasing 30. Can't make everyone happy all of the time.
Disagree, might as well name them AD and let them run the department

I think the opposite actually.

Better to have Texas problem of "too many boosters" than Ok St or Oregon's "problem" of one person having too much control. Ultimately, I'd rather have the latter "problem" than no problem at all.

Certianly a different kind of problem to have. At least with the Okie State or Duck situation you just have to keep one person happy instead of trying to balance a bunch of them against each other. Those coaches at least get more time to coach.

Agree that that would be a pain in the butt as well though. And not having any significant boosters probably means your program is dead in the water, doesn't matter how good a coach you are.

Certianly a different kind of problem to have. At least with the Okie State or Duck situation you just have to keep one person happy instead of trying to balance a bunch of them against each other. Those coaches at least get more time to coach.

Agree that that would be a pain in the butt as well though. And not having any significant boosters probably means your program is dead in the water, doesn't matter how good a coach you are.

It is an interesting dynamic keeping Big Papi T. Boone happy. I went to the CU/OSU game in Stillwater in 2009 and since T. Boone's wife is into protecting wild horses, the big halftime show featured lots of horses and Michael Martin Murphy was brought in to sing his song "Wildfire". I was looking around thinking WTF. The OSU faithful all politely clapped and did their cute Pistol Pete deal and all was good in the shadow of the house that T. Boone built.

Back