What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013-14 Coaching Carousel Thread

The arrogance is astounding

Longtime booster Red McCombs is not a fan of Texas' decision to hire coach Charlie Strong away from Louisville, calling it a "kick in the face" during a radio interview Monday.

"I think the whole thing is a bit sideways," McCombs said of the selection process during an interview with ESPN 1250 San Antonio. "I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

"But I don't believe [he belongs at] what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at UT-Austin. I don't think it adds up."

Is it any wonder we hate them so?

What a raging racist. Charlie Strong has a very strong resume. I would have been doing cartwheels had he been hired as our HC.

What a raging racist. Charlie Strong has a very strong resume. I would have been doing cartwheels had he been hired as our HC.

As would frankly most of the schools in the country.

Man has proven he can coach, man has proven he can win. End of story, , , , , , unless you are a multi-millionaire Texas redneck who wants the second coming of Darrell Royal.

...not sure that makes him a racist. I have never met Red, nor do I know much about him, but form the little I do know, I think it was motivated by his fury at being excluded from the hiring process. He is a big cigar down there and views the AD as one of his rightful spheres of influence.

SIAP, but after Vandy's bowl win, the sideline reporter asked Franklin about his future, and he said: "GREAT win for Vanderbilt. Thank you!" and walked off. He's going somewhere, IMO.

...not sure that makes him a racist. I have never met Red, nor do I know much about him, but form the little I do know, I think it was motivated by his fury at being excluded from the hiring process. He is a big cigar down there and views the AD as one of his rightful spheres of influence.

Racism was my first thought. Charlie Strong is a highly successful head coach at a BCS program. And this guy is saying he's not even qualified to be a head coach--that he needs to work for someone else?

If not race, then what? He's a successful ****ing head coach for Christ's sake!

He didn't say, "well, he's a great head coach, but I don't like him for this job because..." He said he's only qualified to work for someone else, despite glaring evidence that he's successful in the HC role.

It's kinda weird, no?

Racism was my first thought. Charlie Strong is a highly successful head coach at a BCS program. And this guy is saying he's not even qualified to be a head coach--that he needs to work for someone else?

If not race, then what? He's a successful ****ing head coach for Christ's sake!

He didn't say, "well, he's a great head coach, but I don't like him for this job because..." He said he's only qualified to work for someone else, despite glaring evidence that he's successful in the HC role.

It's kinda weird, no?
...already gave my opinion of what else it could be.

...already gave my opinion of what else it could be.

Fury would say that the process yielded the wrong guy. It wouldn't say that a successful head coach was in fact only qualified to work for another person. It's not the "why" in this case, but rather the "how".

I'm not saying that there was racist motivation--I don't know either. But it seems like a strange thing to say, no matter how angry he is.

Fury would say that the process yielded the wrong guy. It wouldn't say that a successful head coach was in fact only qualified to work for another person. It's not the "why" in this case, but rather the "how".

I'm not saying that there was racist motivation--I don't know either. But it seems like a strange thing to say, no matter how angry he is.
I agree it is strange. Personally I would be thrilled if CU could have gotten CS when they were on the hunt. Perhaps since I am also happy with MikMac I am a racist and do not know it.

I think his quote, in part, is a reaction to not being part of the "process." The AD formed a committee (strangely enough, the exact same committee members that found/hired the AD). Then, the committee never actually met. The AD found his guy and hired him. Red is butthurt that his cigar wasn't smoked, if you know what I mean.

I think his quote, in part, is a reaction to not being part of the "process." The AD formed a committee (strangely enough, the exact same committee members that found/hired the AD). Then, the committee never actually met. The AD found his guy and hired him. Red is butthurt that his cigar wasn't smoked, if you know what I mean.

I agree, but examine again how his anger manifested itself. Who knows what drove his remarks (aside from feeling left out). I'm not in his head, but racism was still my first thought, right or wrong.

I agree, but examine again how his anger manifested itself. Who knows what drove his remarks (aside from feeling left out). I'm not in his head, but racism was still my first thought, right or wrong.

I'm with Orr in this one.

The "how" is per his normal M.O. He loves to talk to the media and spout sound-bites. This is the same guy that said stuff like: All of the money that isn't in the Vatican, is at UT....We're the biggest, baddest school out there and we can get whoever we want....etc. I think this M.O. is a result of his being the founder of Clear Channel Communications.

I'm with Orr in this one.
I'm not saying he's not a racist. I'm saying that he's a blowhard who thinks he runs the AD and he's pissed that he wasn't the decision maker (or, even consulted) on this hire. And he's doing what he does best - ranting and raving to anyone who will listen to him.

I think it's more Texas hubris, possibly racist, but Texas' ego trumps that. If this guy would've reeled in Mike Tomlin I'm sure he'd be pretty proud of himself.

Back