What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2016 CU News & Notes (Buff Stuff)

Some notes from today's practice/scrimmage:

Overall, the scrimmage might have been the best showing by the No. 1 offense thus far in camp. Quarterback Sefo Liufau, who admitted his effort in Saturday's scrimmage was a bit erratic, had what offensive co-coordinator Darrin Chiaverini called probably his best practice of fall camp. Liufau was sharp with both his long and short game, and had a good day in reading his checks and progressions.

What might have been most pleasing for Chiaverini was watching the offense put together some sustained drives against the No. 1 defense — something that hasn't happened with much regularity thus far.

"That's what's great about tempo," Chiaverini said. "That's the difference. The key is, you get that first first down and tempo comes into play. It's hard for the defense to get calls in, it's hard for them to get out of certain personnel groupings. As you get first downs, it's hard for them to get all of their exotic blitzes in. I think you saw some of that day with the tempo."

A big part of the offense's success on Wednesday came from the play of Liufau.

"Sefo's knocking some of that rust off," Chiaverini said. "He's taken steps forward and starting to see the checks and respond. He's a guy who has played a lot of football and it's just a matter of him knowing the system inside and out, being able to run the show — and he's doing that."

http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2016/8/16/football-buffs-offense-has-solid-day-in-scrimmage.aspx

"Sefo's knocking some of that rust off," Chiaverini said. "He's taken steps forward and starting to see the checks and respond. He's a guy who has played a lot of football and it's just a matter of him knowing the system inside and out, being able to run the show — and he's doing that."

At what point should the 4 year starter at QB be expected to know his checks and respond?

Well if it is a new offense, it would take some time. That is why the whole mystery around the offense is so confusing.

It sounds like they are trying to split the difference here between the old offense and the new offense. Not great.

Well if it is a new offense, it would take some time. That is why the whole mystery around the offense is so confusing.

They ran the same old offense at the public scrimmage so they have not abandoned it altogether. They certainly wouldn't practice an offense they won't use just because one day was open to the public.

They ran the same old offense at the public scrimmage so they have not abandoned it altogether. They certainly wouldn't practice an offense they won't use just because one day was open to the public.
Not disagreeing on that point. That is why the word coming out of camp is so confusing. It's very inconsistent. Maybe some misdirection on purpose to counter the Bull**** coming out of of ft fun right now.

The players all said "vanilla". I think that's all it was. Running the base plays that were carried over from last year. None of the new stuff and none of the new route trees or counters off the base stuff. What the other stuff is, we won't find out for a couple weeks.

We haven't been the tougher team since the GB era. And when we had that, we were winning the Big 12 North despite talent deficiencies.

And we won some games we probably shouldn't have with his tough teams. I like hearing that these guys are out there getting after each other and I think it will carry over into the season. I think the Buffs have a pretty good year if everybody stays healthy.

The players all said "vanilla". I think that's all it was. Running the base plays that were carried over from last year. None of the new stuff and none of the new route trees or counters off the base stuff. What the other stuff is, we won't find out for a couple weeks.

Than I don't see how people can protest when it is pointed out that Liufau is still not running the vanilla offense of the past three years with great efficiency. That is the clear picture that was painted across the internet by some of the people in attendance at the scrimmage on Saturday.

Than I don't see how people can protest when it is pointed out that Liufau is still not running the vanilla offense of the past three years with great efficiency. That is the clear picture that was painted across the internet by some of the people in attendance at the scrimmage on Saturday.

I agree. Chev got on his ass and said as much in today's interview. Apparently, Sefo responded well and started making the right reads the past couple days.

Not so much worried why Chev was correcting the QB's, more worried that BL wasn't.
You may be right about this. I'm just at the stage now where I am about done fretting over this. I don't care who is doing what as long as we see a good result when the season starts.

Lindgren is on borrowed time imho. Who cares if Chev got after Sefo, sometimes a good kick in the ass is needed. There is a time to pat them on the back and a time to jump their ass, nobody is exempt of that. Good coaching imho.

Lindgren is on borrowed time imho. Who cares if Chev got after Sefo, sometimes a good kick in the ass is needed. There is a time to pat them on the back and a time to jump their ass, nobody is exempt of that. Good coaching imho.
Well said, although I sort of miss the days of spending the extra time interpreting your posts.

Almost more concerning imo. Why the **** is our WR coach correcting QB problems... isn't that what CU pays a QB Coach to do?

He is also the offensive coordinator and he is also the coach who installed the new stuff that Chev is teaching him. Seems pretty normal.

Agreed. I think our staff has been missing a QB coach for years (based on how little our QBs develop) so I'm really glad that Chev is providing some direction to the group. I'm sure BL is fine in the meeting room when things are being analyzed and discussed, but we have been needing a QB coach on the practice field for long time.

Back