What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2017-2018 Bowl Season

Sorry, I don't think this is all about talent.

The Pac-12 schools have been getting out-toughed.

This is just the most extreme example.

Sorry, I don't think this is all about talent.

The Pac-12 schools have been getting out-toughed.

This is just the most extreme example.

Would agree with this. Look at the number of PAC 12 OL and DL who have been drafted and play in the NFL in recent years, the talent is there. Jut don't play tough enough as teams.

Try to trick teams and be fancy, have trouble when teams go out an smash them in the face. Even Stanford looked like they were getting beat on the LOS.

SIAP, but the ticky-tack, grandma doesn't like when you play rough, overly involved officiating of the PAC12 may have made the conference gun shy and a little soft. Or maybe we're just a bunch of West Coast pussies?

What an embarrassing bowl season. Utah, when they do well, does so mostly on grit, imo. Stanford at least showed up, and maybe looked out-coached more than out-played.

What I loved about Buffs football in the past was that you knew, win or lose, they were going to knock the snot out of the other team. I hope we're not trying to be an even more finesse team in an already soft conference.

Edit: Was busy typing with one fat thumb while the two previous posts were made.

I agree. And I don’t get it. The talent is there.

It’s gotta be something like the culture surrounding football in the west, is all I can conclude. They just care more in the southern and eastern parts of the country. And it’s from pee-wee on up.

There’s little heart or drive. At the college level, the west has to start getting serious about its coaches if they want to keep up. Chip at UCLA might be a start but, we will have to see on that. Hell, he is from the west anyway.

I may be off base here but, there’s something systemically wrong here in the west when it comes to competing nationally, IMO.
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

DON'T LOSE YOUR COMPOSURE! EVERYBODY SETTLE DOWN!

The Pac is a disaster in bowl games this season. Tragically bad. It's a horrible optic for a conference that is struggling for positive exposure.

Noted.

And, I admit to being a bit of a hypocrite. When our conference performs well in bowls, I view it as a sign that my conference is awesome, and by proxy, I too am awesome. And when our team, or conference stinks it up in bowls, it's a reminder that the college football landscape is ever changing.

I acknowledge that the southeastern U.S. is football crazy. I've lived in Florida; it's a different level. I've lived in Texas. They take football pretty seriously. Similarly, I acknowledge that the SEC fan energy level, tailgate experience etc... is unparalleled at a conference level.

And...

The football landscape changes. The Pac is often in the top two conferences in bowl record and out of conference season record. It's a great conference having a bad year. A few years ago when the SEC West went, like, 1-5 in bowl games, nobody said that they came from a poor football culture and that's why they sucked. We just knew that they would reload and be back. We accepted that sometimes conferences and divisions are down for a season or two.

The Pac will be back. Just a bad season. And yes, I agree there is a different culture in the west.

Settle the **** down everybody.

You might be onto something there, but chasing Oregon has a lot to do with it too, iyam.

You may be on to something with chasing Oregon but you weren't going to out-Oregon the Ducks. Stanford had the best success against them simply by beating up on them and seeing how long they wanted to keep getting hit.

CU isn't going to out athlete Oregon or USC or UDub or some others. They don't run fast when they are on the ground.

This can't be coincidence:

06699accc6a155a6516fc7f167c858b3.jpg

latest

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

The Pac is a disaster in bowl games this season. Tragically bad. It's a horrible optic for a conference that is struggling for positive exposure.

Noted.

And, I admit to being a bit of a hypocrite. When our conference performs well in bowls, I view it as a sign that my conference is awesome, and by proxy, I too am awesome. And when our team, or conference stinks it up in bowls, it's a reminder that the college football landscape is ever changing.

I acknowledge that the southeastern U.S. is football crazy. I've lived in Florida; it's a different level. I've lived in Texas. They take football pretty seriously. Similarly, I acknowledge that the SEC fan energy level, tailgate experience etc... is unparalleled at a conference level.

And...

The football landscape changes. The Pac is often in the top two conferences in bowl record and out of conference season record. It's a great conference having a bad year. A few years ago when the SEC West went, like, 1-5 in bowl games, nobody said that they came from a poor football culture and that's why they sucked. We just knew that they would reload and be back. We accepted that sometimes conferences and divisions are down for a season or two.

The Pac will be back. Just a bad season. And yes, I agree there is a different culture in the west.

Well said, Mtn Ken. We also would have accepted this

SC looked solid up front, but their secondary is average. They got pretty lucky Ohio State was willing to play conservative in the second half.
I’m pretty sure Laviska Shenault proved this point earlier this year.

Edit - correction. This has been bugging me as I wasn't 100% confident it was Shenault. I was wrong - it was Winfree.

Last edited:
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Noted.

And...

This is an awesome post. Except for the part that after reading it I can’t wallow in my self pity anymore.

**** YOU!

Looking at the top 100 recruits on 247, I spy almost all of the OL/and a lot of the DL on there heading to two schools: Clemson and Alabama. Sprinkle in some Georgia, FSU, and OSU.

Then if you take a gander at the top 100 in CA, there are few OL/DL guys even on there. USC nabbed the top center, but Alabama rolled in and grabbed what I assume is their protype, 6'7 320 Tommy Brown. Idk what happened there, but P12 teams need to keep guys like that in the P12.

I also find it funny that Tosh Lupoi was too toxic for USC, but apparently not an issue for Alabama to employ and be a top recruiter for them.

Finally stopped PSU on a third down, for the first time, I think. Give it up on the fourth.

Looking at the top 100 recruits on 247, I spy almost all of the OL/and a lot of the DL on there heading to two schools: Clemson and Alabama. Sprinkle in some Georgia, FSU, and OSU.

Then if you take a gander at the top 100 in CA, there are few OL/DL guys even on there. USC nabbed the top center, but Alabama rolled in and grabbed what I assume is their protype, 6'7 320 Tommy Brown. Idk what happened there, but P12 teams need to keep guys like that in the P12.

I also find it funny that Tosh Lupoi was too toxic for USC, but apparently not an issue for Alabama to employ and be a top recruiter for them.

I’ve been saying this for years. The top 300 (especially 100) is dominated by a few schools. The kids that are in the top 100 are freaks of nature. They’re the 6’6” 320lb monsters you’ll see in the NFL draft in a few years. Alabama and Clemson have better 2nd stringers on their lines than we have 1st stringers.

Come on Washington! Get your asses kicked but find a way to steal this game! I mean seriously, **** Washington but I’m pretty impressed with their toughness and resilience here. They have no business being within 7.

Not only is the outcome on the surface horrible, but look at the matchups. We were favored in more than half. WTF?

Back