What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

Have (20) Navy playing against BYU in the only game on the schedule that involves what I would consider two decent BCS level teams. We have Memphis and Arky State and Southern Miss against Army but most Sun Belt teams would get beat by the better FCS programs.

If we had the real season other than the Buffs beating up the sheep we would have had USC against Bama (supposedly a neutral site but still in SEC country,) Notre Dame - Navy and some B1G conference games.

I'll pass on Central Arkansas/Austin Peay. Navy/BYU should be interesting, and I'll watch that one on Labor Day. Memphis/Arkansas State is interesting-Arkansas State's a solid Sun Belt team, and Memphis got the G5 NY6 bid (even with Norvell moving on). Other than that.........meh. Gonna be paying a lot more attention to the NFL than usual this fall.

If the B1G is really going to alter their decision I don't see what starting around Thanksgiving buys them. They would still go well into 2021 and would be dependent on the Pac12 also deciding to play in the winter/spring so they could at least get an opponent for the Rose Bowl. If they are going to reverse their decision then why not consider starting in late September or early October and that way they could at least align with with the other 3 P5 conferences and be in contention for the CFB playoff.

If the B1G is really going to alter their decision I don't see what starting around Thanksgiving buys them. They would still go well into 2021 and would be dependent on the Pac12 also deciding to play in the winter/spring so they could at least get an opponent for the Rose Bowl. If they are going to reverse their decision then why not consider starting in late September or early October and that way they could at least align with with the other 3 P5 conferences and be in contention for the CFB playoff.

Once the other conferences prove that playing is possible in September and October, the BIG and PAC will have egg on their face and the political cover to play early November. They can save major optics embarrassment by starting before the other leagues finish.

Once the other conferences prove that playing is possible in September and October, the BIG and PAC will have egg on their face and the political cover to play early November. They can save major optics embarrassment by starting before the other leagues finish.
And if more likely the other leagues have to cancel before finishing their shortened seasons and/or have some serious C-19 cases among their players then the B1G and PAC look like the smart ones.

It could work out that way. But Alabama is now reporting over 1000 cased of COVID-19 on campus. Not a good trend.

One CV-19 death or serious illness with lengthy debilitation is all that it will take for the P12 & B1G to be "proven" right.

Here's the odd thing: everyone hopes that they aren't proven right.

I haven't crunched the numbers, but my instinct is that there's probably a 2 in 3 chance that at least one school will have to cancel a game (or 3) because of a breakout on their team. If someone gave me 50/50 odds, I'd take them as I think it would be a paying bet.

Odds of a player dying or suffering a fight with the disease that leaves them unable to play again? It's higher than zero, and I'm fairly certain it's higher than I would deem a reasonable threshold.

We risk your life for our profit and our fan's entertainment!

One CV-19 death or serious illness with lengthy debilitation is all that it will take for the P12 & B1G to be "proven" right.

Here's the odd thing: everyone hopes that they aren't proven right.

I haven't crunched the numbers, but my instinct is that there's probably a 2 in 3 chance that at least one school will have to cancel a game (or 3) because of a breakout on their team. If someone gave me 50/50 odds, I'd take them as I think it would be a paying bet.

Odds of a player dying or suffering a fight with the disease that leaves them unable to play again? It's higher than zero, and I'm fairly certain it's higher than I would deem a reasonable threshold.

We risk your life for our profit and our fan's entertainment!

Baseball has had to cancel 37 games because of COVID issues (the Marlins, Cardinals, Mets, and Reds have all had multiple positive tests at some point over the last month) as of a week ago. Game cancellations because of COVID are inevitable in the fall, and I suspect they'll be inevitable in whatever hypothetical seasons the leagues who skip the fall go for in the spring. We'll see this in college, and I gotta think the NFL has some sort of protection (my guess would be delaying the playoffs) built into their schedule should we see an outbreak there.

This will also be something the leagues who skipped the fall will deal with if they attempt spring seasons. This thing isn't going to magically go away the minute vaccines hit the market-****, we still cases of the bubonic plague and that was 700 years ago.

Baseball has had to cancel 37 games because of COVID issues (the Marlins, Cardinals, Mets, and Reds have all had multiple positive tests at some point over the last month) as of a week ago. Game cancellations because of COVID are inevitable in the fall, and I suspect they'll be inevitable in whatever hypothetical seasons the leagues who skip the fall go for in the spring. We'll see this in college, and I gotta think the NFL has some sort of protection (my guess would be delaying the playoffs) built into their schedule should we see an outbreak there.

This will also be something the leagues who skipped the fall will deal with if they attempt spring seasons. This thing isn't going to magically go away the minute vaccines hit the market-****, we still cases of the bubonic plague and that was 700 years ago.
It’s weird how important professional versus amateur status is to this conversation.

What's likely to happen is we'll get a start and an end to the CFB season but there'll be games postponed and cancelled along the way. If a team is scheduled to play 11 games they might only end up playing 8 while some teams will end up playing 10 or all 11 games.

What's likely to happen is we'll get a start and an end to the CFB season but there'll be games postponed and cancelled along the way. If a team is scheduled to play 11 games they might only end up playing 8 while some teams will end up playing 10 or all 11 games.

I think that goes back to the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 all building in multiple bye weeks to their schedules and setting up the championship games to where they can be played as late as the Saturday before Christmas. I also don't think anybody but the Sun Belt and CUSA are playing more than 10 games.

I think that goes back to the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 all building in multiple bye weeks to their schedules and setting up the championship games to where they can be played as late as the Saturday before Christmas. I also don't think anybody but the Sun Belt and CUSA are playing more than 10 games.

ACC teams are playing 11

Based on 1000 infected students at the University of Alabama, it seems like the SEC isn't canceling games ever.

I thought the OOC game (which had to take place in the home state of the member) was optional? Virginia doesn't have one scheduled.

As far as I know everyone is scheduling an OOC game and UVA might be the only one left to get that game scheduled. They previously had VMI on the schedule but that got cancelled. BC just scheduled their OOC opponent the other day and ND scheduled USF earlier in the week.

As far as I know everyone is scheduling an OOC game and UVA might be the only one left to get that game scheduled. They previously had VMI on the schedule but that got cancelled. BC just scheduled their OOC opponent the other day and ND scheduled USF earlier in the week.

Oh okay. Different rules everywhere it seems like. Kind of hard to keep it all straight-and that's kind of why I'll watch a game if its on but won't get real attached. Hell, the MWC isn't playing-but AFA afaik is still playing Army and Navy this fall.

Maybe you think what the Pac12 has done is wrong.... But I would take that over what the SEC schools are up to. Maybe no football players will die, but the contribution to the pandemic will kill people.

Maybe you think what the Pac12 has done is wrong.... But I would take that over what the SEC schools are up to. Maybe no football players will die, but the contribution to the pandemic will kill people.

I get that this site is dedicated to "Covering CU-Boulder Athletics" and thus we talk a lot about the pandemic's effect on college sports. However, if I ran a university, athletics would be near the bottom of my list of important considerations during a nationwide, unprecedented health crisis.

It's a feature, not a bug, of the Pac 12 (and B10, less Nebraska) that the ADs report to the university administrators, not the other way around.

Especially because...

There is clearly zero worry in SEC land about infections alone being a liability problem, even with long term effects. I am starting to believe the Pac 12 and BIG actually do care about the well being of the athletes.

There is clearly zero worry in SEC land about infections alone being a liability problem, even with long term effects. I am starting to believe the Pac 12 and BIG actually do care about the well being of the athletes.

What they're counting on are jurors from sec land. They ****ed if plantifs get trials in other jurisdictions.

Which is one reason why I'm looking at the ACC & scratching my head...

sure they worry about the athletes but they also worry about the lawsuits if things go bad

Refresh my memory, did the NCAA say players could opt out of this season, and not lose a year of eligibility?
If so, but not opting out, and choosing to play, would the colleges have protection from lawsuits since they they gave the players the option to not play?
They could not have them sign a waver, however, giving them the option to sit out without penalty, the players chose to accept the risk?

Refresh my memory, did the NCAA say players could opt out of this season, and not lose a year of eligibility?
If so, but not opting out, and choosing to play, would the colleges have protection from lawsuits since they they gave the players the option to not play?
They could not have them sign a waver, however, giving them the option to sit out without penalty, the players chose to accept the risk?
The NCAA has strongly discouraged the use of waivers. Their use has not been reported for any of the participating conferences.

Back