What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022-23 Coaching Carousel

Dillingham to ASU seems like a "keep it in the family hire to me". I'd be surprised if he was ready and his emotional press conference only strengthened that concern.

At least he knows what ASU's mascot is

Willie Fritz to GA Tech? Makes sense. Academic challenges similar to Tulane, which he successfully navigated. And he won 9 & 8 his 2 years at GA Southern, which were their 1st 2 seasons moving up to FBS.

Early names for Stanford are Chris Petersen, Bronco Mendenhall, Bill O'Brien and Dave Clawson.

O'Brien seems to fit, imo. Stanford loves NFL guys and he's also an Ivy League guy (Brown).

Early names for Stanford are Chris Petersen, Bronco Mendenhall, Bill O'Brien and Dave Clawson.

O'Brien seems to fit, imo. Stanford loves NFL guys and he's also an Ivy League guy (Brown).
Rittenberg’s initial list is Petersen, Aranda, Chryst, Mike Bloomgren (Rice), Greg Roman (Ravens OC), Mendenhall, Troy Taylor, and believe it or not Derek Mason.

McCaffrey made like $190k last year coaching UNC - that’s a huge pay cut to not move again - does he love Colorado that much? And I’m still unclear what his redeeming qualities are that would appeal even to a place like UNC?
That's not far below what he would make as a position coach in P5. After the disaster here and his track record of boring, ineffective offenses don't think schools are going to be lining up to give him another coordinator job.

The real question is how dead does he want his coaching career to become because UNC is an absolute dead end job. Their facilities while recently upgraded are still among the worst in their league and behind a number of D2 programs. Don't know where they are right now but not too long ago they were even funded to their full 63 scholarships allowed at the FCS level.

This is happening playing in a league with a number of traditional FCS powers and currently 4 of the top 10 ranked schools.

Walters has the better resume
ALL of Leonhard's work as a DC was while working for Chryst, who is an Offensive guy.

Walters has ONLY been a DC under Defensive HC's.

I like Walters for CU (Maybe) but probably wouldn't put him above Leonhard in general. Want to see Walters do it on his own, and he'll probably become a HC before he gets that opportunity.

That's not far below what he would make as a position coach in P5. After the disaster here and his track record of boring, ineffective offenses don't think schools are going to be lining up to give him another coordinator job.

The real question is how dead does he want his coaching career to become because UNC is an absolute dead end job. Their facilities while recently upgraded are still among the worst in their league and behind a number of D2 programs. Don't know where they are right now but not too long ago they were even funded to their full 63 scholarships allowed at the FCS level.

This is happening playing in a league with a number of traditional FCS powers and currently 4 of the top 10 ranked schools.
I think you’re wrong - an experienced P5 QB coach should be making $300k+. CU was paying Roper $300k like 5 years ago. I would consider that a material difference from what he could make coaching UNC.

ALL of Leonhard's work as a DC was while working for Chryst, who is an Offensive guy.

Walters has ONLY been a DC under Defensive HC's.

I like Walters for CU (Maybe) but probably wouldn't put him above Leonhard in general. Want to see Walters do it on his own, and he'll probably become a HC before he gets that opportunity.
Huh? He was DC at mizzou under pinkel and Drinkwitz.

I think you’re wrong - an experienced P5 QB coach should be making $300k+. CU was paying Roper $300k like 5 years ago. I would consider that a material difference from what he could make coaching UNC.
Top non-coordinators make substantially more than UNC would be paying but typically those salaries range from around $100,000 to that $300,00. At this point I question if Stanford would be able to demand upper end pay.

He would still be likely to give up money but to be able to live where he wants and be the man in charge of his own program it might be appealing.

As stated I don't think it would be a good move for him. The job is a dead end and he is still a young coach. If he were near the end of a career it might make more sense.

Top non-coordinators make substantially more than UNC would be paying but typically those salaries range from around $100,000 to that $300,00. At this point I question if Stanford would be able to demand upper end pay.

He would still be likely to give up money but to be able to live where he wants and be the man in charge of his own program it might be appealing.

As stated I don't think it would be a good move for him. The job is a dead end and he is still a young coach. If he were near the end of a career it might make more sense.
Dude, you’re wrong, show me a QB coach making only $100k. Doubt there’s any in FBS and certainly not in P5. The schools in the Pac12 who employ a QB coach who is not the OC (UCLA and Arizona) both pay their QB coach +$400k.

Dude, you’re wrong, show me a QB coach making only $100k. Doubt there’s any in FBS and certainly not in P5. The schools in the Pac12 who employ a QB coach who is not the OC (UCLA and Arizona) both pay their QB coach +$400k.
Dude, in typical fashion you are trying to create an argument where there isn't one.

I never said that that Sanford would be taking a position that pays $100,000, only that non-coordinator positions range from there. Sanford as an experience guy with coaching contacts would surely make more but I doubt he would make what you think he would. I don't see him getting a coordinator position and he may have trouble finding a QB coach job at P5. with his recent track record.

Just for your information, I did a quick search and found for our neighboring G5 program CSU in 2020 these were the salaries for the staff. This from the Fort Collins Coloradoan.

CSU football salaries​

Steve Addazio, head coach, $1.5 million

Joey Lynch, offensive coordinator and quarterbacks, $310,000

Brian White, senior associate head coach and running backs, $270,000

Chuck Heater, defensive coordinator and safeties, $250,000

Sean Cronin, linebackers, $210,000

Antoine Smith, defensive line, $190,000

Anthony Perkins, cornerbacks, $175,000

Cody Booth, tight ends, $100,000

Kenny Guiton, wide receivers, salary not available

Scott McLafferty, head strength and conditioning, $160,000

Louie Addazio, offensive line, $150,000

Spencer Reid, assistant strength and conditioning, $60,000

Couldn't find a breakdown by positions but for Wyoming in 2021 their highest paid assistant made $322,000, second highest $253,000, third $245,000 and fourth $194,000.

Point is that while Sanford would probably make more money as an assistant someplace else the difference may not be as much as would first be expected. To be the head coach, run his own program, and get to stay in Colorado it might be worth him considering.

My view is that it would be a bad decision because the job is a dead end but it isn't as crazy as might first be thought.

Rittenberg’s initial list is Petersen, Aranda, Chryst, Mike Bloomgren (Rice), Greg Roman (Ravens OC), Mendenhall, Troy Taylor, and believe it or not Derek Mason.
If they get Roman, they will be dangerous quickly if they set up recruiting infrastructure around him

Dillingham to ASU seems like a "keep it in the family hire to me". I'd be surprised if he was ready and his emotional press conference only strengthened that concern.

It's going to get rough when those sanctions come down but all depends on how he builds his staff and what kind of leader he will be.

Prime to Tulsa? I'm worried, guys.

serenity GIF

Dude, in typical fashion you are trying to create an argument where there isn't one.

I never said that that Sanford would be taking a position that pays $100,000, only that non-coordinator positions range from there. Sanford as an experience guy with coaching contacts would surely make more but I doubt he would make what you think he would. I don't see him getting a coordinator position and he may have trouble finding a QB coach job at P5. with his recent track record.

Just for your information, I did a quick search and found for our neighboring G5 program CSU in 2020 these were the salaries for the staff. This from the Fort Collins Coloradoan.

CSU football salaries​

Steve Addazio, head coach, $1.5 million

Joey Lynch, offensive coordinator and quarterbacks, $310,000

Brian White, senior associate head coach and running backs, $270,000

Chuck Heater, defensive coordinator and safeties, $250,000

Sean Cronin, linebackers, $210,000

Antoine Smith, defensive line, $190,000

Anthony Perkins, cornerbacks, $175,000

Cody Booth, tight ends, $100,000

Kenny Guiton, wide receivers, salary not available

Scott McLafferty, head strength and conditioning, $160,000

Louie Addazio, offensive line, $150,000

Spencer Reid, assistant strength and conditioning, $60,000

Couldn't find a breakdown by positions but for Wyoming in 2021 their highest paid assistant made $322,000, second highest $253,000, third $245,000 and fourth $194,000.

Point is that while Sanford would probably make more money as an assistant someplace else the difference may not be as much as would first be expected. To be the head coach, run his own program, and get to stay in Colorado it might be worth him considering.

My view is that it would be a bad decision because the job is a dead end but it isn't as crazy as might first be thought.
So a TE coach at CSU makes $100k in his first year as a full time coach, what’s your point? Why even bring up a $100k salary if it’s not part of your argument? You’re exhausting.

Bottom line, Sanford isn’t taking a $190k job to coach UNC and there’s no reason for UNC to want him in the first place.

The here we go update.

Open Jobs:

University of Colorado Golden Buffaloes:
I have already broken the organize by conference rule, but the departure of the worst CU coach ever, or even appearing in our worst nightmares, merits an exception. I won't recount all the news here, I refer you to @The Alabaster Yak 's "Official CU Head Coach Search" thread. Suffice it to say, everybody and their brother has an opinion, two of the more popular choices: Jeff Grimes, Bronco Mendenhall are drawing alot of bandwidth in that thread. Others include: Pat Fitzgerald, Jamey Chadwell, Ricky Rahne, [insert Dave Logan quip here], Blake Anderson and Tom Herman. Who will pants RG in contract negotiations this time? We will see as Dr. Phil and RG begin the process of figuring out how the landscape of CFB has changed since the Bush I administration. The Auburn rumors about RG have no legs. So, RG will be making the hire (yikes), blind pig and the acorn time for Buff faithful. UPDATE: It is PrimeTime or bust. We are hoping CU gets their man, but fear the Committe formed to review the exploratory committee to assess the viability of a hiring committee may delay it until Prime is hired by someone else.

PAC 12-

ASU-
Our friends in Tempe have tossed Herm aside. (h/t Jens) UPDATE- It's Dillingham (h/t serenity)

Stanford-
Surprisingly Shaw steps down. He had a lot of success there. (h/t serenity). A combo list of names comes from (h/t nik and sinkratz) Petersen, O'Brien, Bronco, Clawson, Aranda, Chryst, Mason, Troy Taylor, et al. your guess is as good as mine.

B1G-

kNU-
The big one. Our favorite corn cob, Scott Frost, had his job drug out the door and down the stairs like Lawrence Phillips' girlfriend. (h/t Jens) Mickey Joseph is interim (h/t White Rabbit). UPDATE- Matt Rhule
(h/t slider, Serenity and Carolina Buff in no particular order)

Wiscy-
Paul Chryst out (h/t Jens) Jim Leonhard interim. UPDATE Leonhard cast aside like a moldy cheesecurd and Luke Fickell gets the gig (h/t patebuff)

CUSA-

UAB-
Bill Clark quietly resigns due to health issues.

ACC-

GT-
Geoff Collins is out (h/t nik and SewallBeach). Pete Thamel, via (h/t nik) names nearly everyone east of the Mississippi, and some to the west of it, as names: Chadwell, O'Brien, The Flying Monken brothers, both of them, Troy Calhoun, Bill Clark, Bronco Mendenhall, Chris Huff, Al Golden, etc. UPDATE- Willie Fitz may get the gig (h/t nik)

SEC-

Auburn-
Harsin is out. (h/t Yak), so are Kiesau and the OL coach former Buff Brad Bedell (h/t slider). Who is the next coach lined up to be hired, fired and paid in short order? Well, we have Kiffin (h/t Duff), Lanning, (h/t nik), but a not so fast on Lanning issued by (h/t Sewall), Freeze, Rhule and O'Brien round out the list of possible future former Auburn HC's. UPDATE- Freeze and/or Kiffin, or could be Kiffin and/or Freeze (h/t Carolina and Sewall), but (h/t Jeric) says Freeze.

Ole Miss-
Kiffin gets huge extension, mixed rumors on whether he signs, or goes to Auburn (h/t Sewall)

Other Conferences I don't care to Discriminate Between-

Charlotte-
Will Healy is out (h/t DeNiro) UPDATE- Michigan's Bill Poggi is in (h/t nik)

USF-
Jeff Scott is out (h/t Sewall) Former CU AC Dan DaPrato the interim (h/t nik)

Tejas St.- Spavital out (h/t nik)

FAU- Taggart out (h/t serenity)

Secondary Market-

Cincy- Fickell to Madison.

Possibles-

Louisville-
Scott Satterfield not working and playing well with others. (h/t ahoelsken)

UT- Steve Sarkisian has put his Armenian love casita up for sale in Austin (h/t BuffsRising) and may be on the Big Cigar's hit list (h/t LesGoodman) Sark may have bought himself a reprieve with an absolute curb stomping of the Okies in the RRS (h/t Creebuzz)

aTm-
Jimbo Fisher has not won 12 games yet this year and the Aggies may be willing to mount a buyout large enough to purchase Zimbabwe to be rid of him. (h/t Jens) Jimbo continues to underperform

West Va-
(h/t yak) says they may be making a move, so I'll go along with that. Gordon Gee says no change until the end of the year, but lookout after that.

Mizzou-
That App St. magic may not have followed Drinkwitz (h/t yak)

Other news-

Cal-
Wilcox sacrifices a couple of AC's Musgrave, the OC and the hilariously named OL coach, Angus McClure.

Hugh Freeze- Freeze extended, (h/t FoBuffs08)

UW- De Boer extended (h/t Sinkratz)

KU- Leipold extended (h/t Yak)

UNC-
Mustard Mac out.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Back