What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022-23 Coaching Carousel

Looking at his actual results I don't disagree with you. A school like UNC is going to struggle anyways but they would have a better chance to succeed hiring a successful coordinator from another FCS program, maybe even a little older guy who has been bypassed at G5. Other better option is to find someone who has built a winner at D2 and who has shown he can succeed with limited resources.

As I posted though the school administrators who make the hiring decision, ADs and their bosses, often want somebody they can sell to the donors and alums as a "bigtime" hire. Sanford has a bunch of P5 programs on his resume, easier to sell the people you are asking to write the checks that are going to pay for him.

He is certainly more qualified that Eddie Mac was and that was their last hire.

In no way am I saying they should hire him. All I am doing is saying why they would give him a look if he applied and also why he might be interested in applying even if it means less money and working in a much lower budget environment than being an assistant at a P5 school.

My question about him now is which P5 school would be willing to give him yet another shot at being their OC? He has multiple failures and no successes, and a couple of those places he can't blame a lack of talent for his failure. Taking a lower division job may be his best chance to have real responsibility.
The only actual qualification I read in this entire post is that Sanford has a number of P5 programs on his resume. Nevermind he’s been mediocre to bad and been fired from his last several stops. So his redeeming quality is his ability to land jobs - he’s a good interview apparently. Is that all UNC is looking for? Someone who has failed at a bunch of P5 jobs? They hired Eddie because he was a “name” they could sell and that backfired spectacularly.

This feels like a major backpedal for reporting the deal with Fritz who is coaching in the AAC CG this weekend. Exactly why CU and Prime have been so tight lipped
I've read they still want it done this week because they want to hit the portal. That means no Deion-who likely starts attracting talent to whatever school he lands at the minute it leaks. Their interim (Brent Key?) seems pretty popular. Did a pretty good job-they went 4-4 under him with a couple ranked wins. Wonder if their boosters made another push to try and get him the gig?

The only actual qualification I read in this entire post is that Sanford has a number of P5 programs on his resume. Nevermind he’s been mediocre to bad and been fired from his last several stops. So his redeeming quality is his ability to land jobs - he’s a good interview apparently. Is that all UNC is looking for? Someone who has failed at a bunch of P5 jobs? They hired Eddie because he was a “name” they could sell and that backfired spectacularly.
Yeah I don't think you have any idea how poor UNC's AD actually is, dude.

What's lame is that you keep questioning the information people here have been sharing for a couple weeks now. Like, either believe it, or pay the $1 to go read it yourself on 247.
Lame is my response to everything.
I said I must be paying attention and you said “nope”. Which is lame that I’m not paying attention.

Edit: but honestly, it’s like 2 or 3 of you that keep telling me I’m wrong, which I hope I am. But there’s also a lot of other skeptical folks ‘round these parts.

Lame is my response to everything.
I said I must be paying attention and you said “nope”. Which is lame that I’m not paying attention.

Edit: but honestly, it’s like 2 or 3 of you that keep telling me I’m wrong, which I hope I am. But there’s also a lot of other skeptical folks ‘round these parts.
Things are changing in Boulder. The specifics haven't been stated publicly just yet, but Adam said there is expected to be some public announcements soon. These changes are immediate.

Things are changing in Boulder. The specifics haven't been stated publicly just yet, but Adam said there is expected to be some public announcements soon. These changes are immediate.
I guess that’s my point - there haven’t actually been changes…just expected changes, which auto-activates my caution shield. I just feel like we’ve seen this before.
Again, not doubting anyone who’s telling me I’m an idiot, just skeptical is all.

You know who would make a ton of sense for UNLV?

Donte Williams from USC.

He's not getting a P5 gig with the poor Interim HC record he had, so he needs to go somewhere and prove he can win.

Rebels with USC's ace recruiter for Southern Cal would take their program to a new level.

You know who would make a ton of sense for UNLV?

Donte Williams from USC.

He's not getting a P5 gig with the poor Interim HC record he had, so he needs to go somewhere and prove he can win.

Rebels with USC's ace recruiter for Southern Cal would take their program to a new level.
Troy Taylor makes sense there as well if he's looking to step up from the FCS level.

UNLV was showing progress, but just wasn't quite getting there fast enough. Plus after the hot start to the season finishing 5-7 probably felt even more disappointing.
If they'd beaten Hawaii to get bowl eligible (assuming they still beat Nevada to go 6-6), I think he'd have kept his job. 1-score losses those 3 straight weeks (FSU, SDSU, UH) showed he was close, but he needed to get one of them. UNLV may regret firing Arroyo.

I'm probably not as negative towards him as you are but we are in agreement that his actual results on the job don't point to a guy who has demonstrated that he can have success.

You wouldn't hire him, I wouldn't hire him. A school like UNC may look at it differently.

They aren't going to get a guy with a winning track record at FCS or above, the combination of the condition of the program and the lack of resources to change that is going to turn away any coach who expects to win and be on an upward career track.

UNC Athletics is broke. They need somebody that they can sell to potential donors, somebody that is going to be noticed by the media and get them attention that they currently don't get.

Eddies only qualifications were that he was a famous ex-Bronco and that he had his name attached to a HS program that recruited it's way to success over public schools. Some people close to that program will tell you that his assistants did most of the work there.

Strangely enough somebody on the outside looking in might think that the Buffs hiring Dion Sanders wouldn't be that different from UNC hiring Eddie Mac.

Does he have experience coaching at the P5 level? Is he known more for coaching or for his prior accomplishments? Is he a guy who has multiple outside interest that will likely distract him from the coaching job?

Hiring Dion isn't hiring a guy based on his coaching qualifications as much as hiring a hope and an image, at least in the minds of outside observers.

Back