What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lived in SWC country. Pony Express was big deal. Once it happened, I recall folks saying that had been going on for a while. I’m just guessing.
I was playing HS ball in TX when Craig James was recruited from Stratford and Eric Dickerson was recruited from Sealy. Pretty much everybody knew if you were good enough, there was $$$ to be had from SWC schools.

I was playing HS ball in TX when Craig James was recruited from Stratford and Eric Dickerson was recruited from Sealy. Pretty much everybody knew if you were good enough, there was $$$ to be had from SWC schools.
West Houston casing in.

Go earlier.

Had you looked at the parking lots outside the football dorms at Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and a number of other prominent schools in the 1960's you would have seen a lot of new cars that a student athlete shouldn't be able to afford.

In the 80's I worked with a guy who shall remain nameless who played in the Big 10 in the 60's who said that he originally planned to go to a different school until a booster told him that if he picked the boosters school that his mother wouldn't have to worry about money, and he said she was well taken care of.

Nothing I've seen in terms of evidence but logic would say that this stuff was happening well before the 60's.

As long as you have wealthy alumni who want to be able brag to their wealthy buddies who went to other schools you will have some who decide to "help" no matter what the rules say.

A look https://www.barkingcarnival.com/200...f-college-football-recruiting-cheating-part-4

Go earlier.

Had you looked at the parking lots outside the football dorms at Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and a number of other prominent schools in the 1960's you would have seen a lot of new cars that a student athlete shouldn't be able to afford.

In the 80's I worked with a guy who shall remain nameless who played in the Big 10 in the 60's who said that he originally planned to go to a different school until a booster told him that if he picked the boosters school that his mother wouldn't have to worry about money, and he said she was well taken care of.

Nothing I've seen in terms of evidence but logic would say that this stuff was happening well before the 60's.

As long as you have wealthy alumni who want to be able brag to their wealthy buddies who went to other schools you will have some who decide to "help" no matter what the rules say.

A look https://www.barkingcarnival.com/200...f-college-football-recruiting-cheating-part-4
Cars were indeed the early version of cash.

RG would be a fine AD at a DIII school like Colorado College or Claremont McKenna. He’s out of his depth in the P5.
Maybe this was mentioned somewhere on the Board, but Rick was the star of the show on this topic at the P12 coaches and AD meeting yesterday. Mentioned in the Athletic.

RG would be a fine AD at a DIII school like Colorado College or Claremont McKenna. He’s out of his depth in the P5.
Dude. Rick was the COO of the Texas Rangers. Your take is a little off-base.
We complain about Rick, we complained about Mike Bohn (who went on to lay the groundwork at Cincinnati for a playoff run and was considered good enough to be hired by USC,) We complained about Marrolt.

While he has his faults as do all administrators I see RG as doing exactly what his bosses want him to do.

If you have complaints about the state of the athletic department in Boulder you need to look at the office of Dr. Phil and the people who have kept him in his office since 2009 and in positions of influence well before that.

In a good or bad way?
A good way. He did a little soft shoe number while singing "I am a little tea pot".

I kid, I kid. I did not read the article but liver's summary was that the NIL was promoting rampant tampering and the P12 should regulate it somehow.

Nice to see he was being heard, doubt it will do any good.

A good way. He did a little soft shoe number while singing "I am a little tea pot".

I kid, I kid. I did not read the article but liver's summary was that the NIL was promoting rampant tampering and the P12 should regulate it somehow.

Nice to see he was being heard, doubt it will do any good.
Right on. My fear is CU is already far behind the eight-ball on NIL and it's only going to snowball from here. Maybe I'm wrong.

Right on. My fear is CU is already far behind the eight-ball on NIL and it's only going to snowball from here. Maybe I'm wrong.
I don’t think you’re wrong. However, there’s a lot of schools in the same position. More than half our own conference, would be my guess. No way does a Cal or UW look at what USC is doing and say “hold my beer”. It’s just a game that most schools don’t choose to play.

The sooner you accept that CU will never be relevant again the better off you'll be
Shoulder to shoulder we will…
Happy Hour Reaction GIF

I’m fine with the kid grabbing that bag, but this type of thing doesn’t feel sustainable for college football.

What happens when the great majority of schools fans can no longer even have the illusion of hope to be competitive?

It's not hard to see large quantities of fans from the majority of schools losing interest.
CFB is going to be over as we know it in a few years. Talent will aggregate in the schools that have $$$$, competitive advantages will become a gap too large to bridge and there will be first and second tier, even in the P5. (Some would argue there already is a two tier existence in P5).

Unless a school is willing to go all in, they will be left behind. In the P12, only USC looks to have the $$$, will and power to go toe to toe.

The longer CU sits in the sewing circle clutching its pearls, the farther back CU will drop.

Maybe that isn't a terrible outcome, sports is pretty out of whack when you look at the basic mission of a University, and the cost of being relevant is about to go parabolic.

CFB is going to be over as we know it in a few years. Talent will aggregate in the schools that have $$$$, competitive advantages will become a gap too large to bridge and there will be first and second tier, even in the P5. (Some would argue there already is a two tier existence in P5).

Unless a school is willing to go all in, they will be left behind. In the P12, only USC looks to have the $$$, will and power to go toe to toe.

The longer CU sits in the sewing circle clutching its pearls, the farther back CU will drop.

Maybe that isn't a terrible outcome, sports is pretty out of whack when you look at the basic mission of a University, and the cost of being relevant is about to go parabolic.
I've been expecting a major re-alignment of college football (and probably basketball and maybe all sports) for years, this will certainly accelerate it.

It is going to come down to which schools are willing to sell out entirely to be what becomes a developmental professional athletic franchise and which ones that the courage to recognize their situations and to put limitations on what they are willing to do to have a team that wears the school name.

The Ivy League which at one time dominated college football along with the service academies did this a long time ago.

In the end I think the majority of fans will support seeing their teams compete at a limited level rather than be roadkill for the big money programs but it will take time and an adjustment in attitude that some fans will never accept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back