What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year, probably yes. 2023 and going forward, though, I think SC is going to go toe to toe with Bama and Georgia. They have all the money and support they need and they have seemingly gone all in with football again. The one question is whether they’ll be able to go into the South and pull the DL needed to compete.
Is USC going to be better? I don't think theres any doubt of that. I will believe Lincoln Riley can run a program that can compete with the elite in the SEC (I'll include 2019 LSU in this mix too) when I see him do it. He went 1-3 against the SEC at Oklahoma. The win was over Tennessee if memory serves. I know they gave UGA all they could handle in the Rose Bowl a few years ago-but the two other losses are what stands out. They got whipped by LSU in the Peach Bowl in 2019, and there was another CFP semi loss to Alabama that wasn't as close a game as the score indicates.

Two other hires prove this point-Alex Grinch is one of them. They improved with him at DC when they hired him, but it was a really bad to average kind of improvement-and they weren't ever good enough on that side of the ball. Last year-all four teams who made the CFP had defenses that were top 20 in total D. Oklahoma was 76th, and USC was 89th. They need to improve on that side of the ball, and I'm not sold on Alex Grinch being the guy to get them there. The other guy I wonder about is their S&C coach-listen to the way OU players talk about how much better they think Jerry Schmidt (from A&M) has been for them compared to Bennie Wylie.

Is USC going to be better? I don't think theres any doubt of that. I will believe Lincoln Riley can run a program that can compete with the elite in the SEC (I'll include 2019 LSU in this mix too) when I see him do it. He went 1-3 against the SEC at Oklahoma. The win was over Tennessee if memory serves. I know they gave UGA all they could handle in the Rose Bowl a few years ago-but the two other losses are what stands out. They got whipped by LSU in the Peach Bowl in 2019, and there was another CFP semi loss to Alabama that wasn't as close a game as the score indicates.

Two other hires prove this point-Alex Grinch is one of them. They improved with him at DC when they hired him, but it was a really bad to average kind of improvement-and they weren't ever good enough on that side of the ball. Last year-all four teams who made the CFP had defenses that were top 20 in total D. Oklahoma was 76th, and USC was 89th. They need to improve on that side of the ball, and I'm not sold on Alex Grinch being the guy to get them there. The other guy I wonder about is their S&C coach-listen to the way OU players talk about how much better they think Jerry Schmidt (from A&M) has been for them compared to Bennie Wylie.
The talent he can consistently pull in at SC exceeds what he was able to pull in at OU and the money they are apparently throwing at elite players around the country who weren't even in the transfer portal to begin with (Jordan Addison) should put them on the same level as the top SEC. He'll need to focus on recruiting and buying DL transfers to compete, though.

The talent he can consistently pull in at SC exceeds what he was able to pull in at OU and the money they are apparently throwing at elite players around the country who weren't even in the transfer portal to begin with (Jordan Addison) should put them on the same level as the top SEC. He'll need to focus on recruiting and buying DL transfers to compete, though.
Changing his defensive scheme too. I think he'll have to fire Grinch at some point if he wants to compete with Alabama and Georgia.

Changing his defensive scheme too. I think he'll have to fire Grinch at some point if he wants to compete with Alabama and Georgia.
If they are paying the players like we think they are he won't have any problem finding an elite DC.

Thats like 95% of the rest of D1

When I change the channel I will

Im long past the days of sitting thru SEC blow outs. I want to Boise State beating OU with the statue of liberty type games. The rest is pretty boring.
You’re in the vast minority of people who won’t want to see the spectacle of major teams with loaded rosters squaring off.

You’re in the vast minority of people who won’t want to see the spectacle of major teams with loaded rosters squaring off.
Eh, that already exists in the NFL. It’ll be a regional thing and as soon as the mid majors of the P5 are officially no longer in the same class, it will be a regional sport for the alumni bases

The ratings suggest otherwise, but you do you.
I just think you’re viewing ratings and how people feel right now when “everyone” has a dog in the fight (ie CU fan, Utah fan, Wisconsin fan, etc) and “their team” is technically competing on the same level as the top programs. If it becomes a lesser version of the NFL, with the power mostly consolidated in the South, the national interest will diminish.

That’s not to say it will be MLB or NHL levels of indifference, but I don’t think it will be on par, nationally with what CFB is/has been over the last 20 years.

I just think you’re viewing ratings and how people feel right now when “everyone” has a dog in the fight (ie CU fan, Utah fan, Wisconsin fan, etc) and “their team” is technically competing on the same level as the top programs. If it becomes a lesser version of the NFL, with the power mostly consolidated in the South, the national interest will diminish.

That’s not to say it will be MLB or NHL levels of indifference, but I don’t think it will be on par, nationally with what CFB is/has been over the last 20 years.
I don't know about the average viewer, but college football was historically regional. My personal interest changes if it becomes the equivalent of the NBA G-League and where I live doesn't even have a team.

The are definitely killing the golden goose

This year, probably yes. 2023 and going forward, though, I think SC is going to go toe to toe with Bama and Georgia. They have all the money and support they need and they have seemingly gone all in with football again. The one question is whether they’ll be able to go into the South and pull the DL needed to compete.

Not sure about this year but yea going forward I fully expect them to join the group of Bama, UGA, Ohio State, Clemson if they can rebound, and likely A&M in the coming years. Just look at what Carroll was able to do in LA almost 20 years ago and now with NIL in the picture and Lincoln Riley's reputation for high-powered offenses he shouldn't have any trouble attracting top notch offensive skill players to USC. Question is, as you mentioned, can he put together a team that's tough in the trenches. Maybe going up against Utah every year will make him put more emphasis on the lines.

I don't know about the average viewer, but college football was historically regional. My personal interest changes if it becomes the equivalent of the NBA G-League and where I live doesn't even have a team.
Right. CFB is held together by alumni fanbases with a feeling of personal pride in where they went to school or grew up rooting for. Reduce the pool of teams officially competing for the championship and you turn most of the fans of 2/3 of the P5 into casual CFB fans which will have a major impact on ratings for the top league

If CU becomes another CSU, a program that knows coming in that getting close to a championship is a fantasy despite being supposedly in the same competitive category then I think interest does die off over time.

If a "superconference" splits off and plays under a different set of rules and CU can be a competitive program at the next level down I think it maintains fan interest.

As fans we already know that the college football we watch isn't the top level. That level is the NFL yet if we get to see a quality competitive product and have the reasonable hope to win our share we keep coming.

If college football continues down the path it is on with a limited number of programs becoming what is essentially a second level professional league with almost no real attempt at looking like the players have any connection to the school other than the uniform they wear and the CU administration decides to continue but without any commitment to actually competing then I will get turned off.

At that point I would rather put my energy into FCS or more likely because of proximity D2 schools. The talent level won't be the same but the games will be fun because of competitiveness.

I guess I’d submit the power is already consolidated in the South, but I get your point.

people who won’t want to see the spectacle of major teams with loaded rosters squaring off
Eh, that already exists in the NFL.
The ratings suggest otherwise, but you do you.

About those ‘spectacle of major teams with loaded rosters squaring off’ here are some ratings facts:

KEY FACTS​

Monday’s national championship game drew 22.6 million viewers across ESPN’s broadcasts, a 19% increase compared to last year’s final, ESPN said Tuesday.

Nearly 30% of all television viewers tuned into Monday’s game, a record high market share for any national championship game, according to ESPN.

Viewership still lagged compared to previous years: This year's game scored the second-lowest ratings since the College Football Playoff began in its current form in 2015, sinking 11% below the 25.3 million average viewers who watched in 2019, according to Nielsen data compiled by Sports Media Watch.

College football pales in comparison to the NFL in terms of viewership, a gap worsened by the pandemic. CBS and Fox averaged 21.6 million and 23.1 million viewers, respectively, for their primary national NFL broadcasts during the 2021 regular seasons, while NFL viewership overall was at its highest level since 2015, up 10% from 2020, per Sports Business Journal

College football has struggled more than the NFL in regaining viewership, potentially due to the fallout from a pandemic-altered 2020 season and more gambling interest in the NFL.

Last edited:
If CU becomes another CSU, a program that knows coming in that getting close to a championship is a fantasy despite being supposedly in the same competitive category then I think interest does die off over time.

If a "superconference" splits off and plays under a different set of rules and CU can be a competitive program at the next level down I think it maintains fan interest.

As fans we already know that the college football we watch isn't the top level. That level is the NFL yet if we get to see a quality competitive product and have the reasonable hope to win our share we keep coming.

If college football continues down the path it is on with a limited number of programs becoming what is essentially a second level professional league with almost no real attempt at looking like the players have any connection to the school other than the uniform they wear and the CU administration decides to continue but without any commitment to actually competing then I will get turned off.

At that point I would rather put my energy into FCS or more likely because of proximity D2 schools. The talent level won't be the same but the games will be fun because of competitiveness.

The excitement for Russell Wilson in Denver is going to overshadow the rest of the football & college athletic teams within this state. It has been a long time since I have been more excited for the NFL and I think I'd have to go back to the 1990's for that. I'm reading more about pro sports than college sports on ESPN.com these days. The Avs are playing good in hockey again and assuming the Nuggets give Jokic the max contract he deserves, the Denver sports fan could forget that there are college athletic teams in this state.

I think there are a lot of people who are in the same boat nationwide this year because US Congress hasn't done jack to address the NIL issues and with inflation, I think it could potentially affect attendance this year in many sports at all levels. I'm looking at just being a free agent type of fan and watch the exciting & rivalry games in FBS & FCS and potentially D2 football this upcoming season.

Sure, we were able to tolerate a little un-even playing field because of those epic upsets in college sports but it seems less likely that it would happen thanks to the NIL issues these days. If people stop believing that will happen, that would really hurt college sports in general.

Walking away from college sports entirely is something that is creeping into my mind.

The excitement for Russell Wilson in Denver is going to overshadow the rest of the football & college athletic teams within this state. It has been a long time since I have been more excited for the NFL and I think I'd have to go back to the 1990's for that. I'm reading more about pro sports than college sports on ESPN.com these days. The Avs are playing good in hockey again and assuming the Nuggets give Jokic the max contract he deserves, the Denver sports fan could forget that there are college athletic teams in this state.

I think there are a lot of people who are in the same boat nationwide this year because US Congress hasn't done jack to address the NIL issues and with inflation, I think it could potentially affect attendance this year in many sports at all levels. I'm looking at just being a free agent type of fan and watch the exciting & rivalry games in FBS & FCS and potentially D2 football this upcoming season.

Sure, we were able to tolerate a little un-even playing field because of those epic upsets in college sports but it seems less likely that it would happen thanks to the NIL issues these days. If people stop believing that will happen, that would really hurt college sports in general.

Walking away from college sports entirely is something that is creeping into my mind.
I still love the college atmosphere, the drama of the game and the youthful energy of players who are not doing it as a business.

Very easy to see my interest in that moving to smaller college football that may not have the elite athletes but is a much purer game with players and fans who are there for the love of the game.

I still love the college atmosphere, the drama of the game and the youthful energy of players who are not doing it as a business.

Very easy to see my interest in that moving to smaller college football that may not have the elite athletes but is a much purer game with players and fans who are there for the love of the game.

That's most likely where I'm going too if P5 football continues where it is going. The Big Sky, WAC, and MVFC out of the FCS would be sufficient for me.

That's most likely where I'm going too if P5 football continues where it is going. The Big Sky, WAC, and MVFC out of the FCS would be sufficient for me.
It is harder to get detailed information on it but the RMAC is highly competitive and has some very good teams. For people in the Denver Metro area Mines is a fun team to watch and wins a lot of games. They have an almost new stadium that is a great experience.

In Pueblo Wristen has made CSU-Pueblo a national power. The area has gotten behind them and they get an really energetic crowd again in an outstanding stadium that is a fun environment.

In either case you can get an afternoon's entertainment for a fraction of the cost of tickets and parking at a BCS level game. As a bonus most of the kids you are cheering on come from Colorado.

If? We have already.

My problem with just switching interest to FCS (or the like) football is that I currently have a vested interest in FBS. As painful as it is to be a CU fan, EVERYTHING revolves around a rooting interest in CU (and now Arkansas)*, even games that seem highly removed. I don’t have that in other leagues.

* or hate rooting against teams that I had animosity towards for decades

My problem with just switching interest to FCS (or the like) football is that I currently have a vested interest in FBS. As painful as it is to be a CU fan, EVERYTHING revolves around a rooting interest in CU (and now Arkansas)*, even games that seem highly removed. I don’t have that in other leagues.

* or hate rooting against teams that I had animosity towards for decades

Rooting against Nebraska will never get old for me and coming from a Sooner family, I do have a rooting interest in that program with a new HC and their future move to the SEC. I'm looking forward to those inevitable rivalry games against Arkansas & LSU plus renewing that A&M one too. There are no shortage of rivalries in FCS & FBS combined and I'm going to base more of my watching habits on that. That is something I miss about those annual Nebraska games in the Big 8/12.

Rooting against those money programs could be fun too and that is kind of what attracted me to CU in the first place when they beat Nebraska in '89 because I was still mad about the Huskers beating OU the previous Thanksgiving.

That is something I hope never goes away from college sports.

Meh. I'll approach the season the same way I usually do. I'll track CU-even though I'm expecting an absolute garbage product. I'll root against Nebraska because that's fun.

I'm excited for RW here too.......but this division is brutal. 10-7 might get you last place.

As expected

Super League Money GIF by Anderson .Paak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back