What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Game 1 Official Thread: NDSU @ COLORADO on ESPN at 6

So I'm not seeing any PI on the Interception. Am I missing something or was it just a really lucky play by NDSU

The guy who's foot it bounced off of is in the process of just tackling the receiver, that's why he's on the ground
Wouldn't that be a tipped ball, Making the contact legal? Also looks like receiver is diving towards a very poorly thrown ball.

Wouldn't that be a tipped ball, Making the contact legal? Also looks like receiver is diving towards a very poorly thrown ball.
1725248420446.png

Looks to me like he is tackling the receiver WELL before the ball is anywhere near him. He doesn't ever look at the ball he just straight tackles the receiver

Idk why everyone is wishing passerby good luck for the rest of the season. **** him and **** those losers. I personally will relish every embarrassing loss those tools blunder into because I know passersby will feel a mounting sense of ennui that will eventually crush his pathetic soul. **** him. **** the bison. Go Buffs!!!

The int was dumb luck. The defender who is on the ground was trying to bump Sheppard, but fell. Sheppard was on the outside doing a late break to the post. The pass was to Miller who was the Middle WR and breaking out toward the area that Sheppard is vacating. The fallen defender is in the way, and Miller doesn’t know how to get the ball. It then bounces in the air.

I honestly believe that if CU started over and played the entire game like they did the second half we would’ve won by 2 to 3 TD’s.

Yeah. I know. I sound like a Fusker fan. 🤣

Colorado says out loud that we will be playing MAN Coverage 90% of the time, it turned out to be 70%, and we got beat pretty much on every single man coverage play, because NDSU had smart and creative plays that allowed for them to kill us by taking our man coverage and running our guys away from the play. Makes us look pretty dumb,

Colorado says out loud that we will be playing MAN Coverage 90% of the time, it turned out to be 70%, and we got beat pretty much on every single man coverage play, because NDSU had smart and creative plays that allowed for them to kill us by taking our man coverage and running our guys away from the play. Makes us look pretty dumb,

DC let’s go kid!

Pretty dumb until pitching a shut out in the second half until 2 minutes left in the game.

We allowed their back to receive passes out of the backfield for big yards and their QB to break out of pass formation for big runs way too often. Drives me nuts.

Their RBs combined for 2 receptions for 60 yards, one of which was the 48 yarder on the opening drive. The QB scrambles were a problem for sure
I’m going by recollection from the stands and just remember the big plays out of the backfield. Two for 60 yards made a pretty big impression I guess.

We allowed their back to receive passes out of the backfield for big yards and their QB to break out of pass formation for big runs way too often. Drives me nuts.
That was intentionally designed by just running our corners downfield to take them out of the play, then do rubs and redirects from the backfield against the LB or safeties, and they worked.
Bentley stepped up his game and so did Savion Riley.
I think Livingston figures it out

That was intentionally designed by just running our corners downfield to take them out of the play, then do rubs and redirects from the backfield against the LB or safeties, and they worked.
Bentley stepped up his game and so did Savion Riley.
I think Livingston figures it out
This is why mobile QBs can take you out of man coverage.

Do you think they underestimated NDSU? Everyone knows their QB can run, yet they still play man coverage exclusively in the first half.
I think the defensive concept is to sell out to generate pressure but NDSU handled it because they're a machine at recognizing and executing. Despite rarely getting us blocked or beating coverage, they schemed to find plays and made them. It was really impressive to me. 2nd half D seemed to be more of just playing straight up and relying on our guys being able to beat their guys.

Their RBs combined for 2 receptions for 60 yards, one of which was the 48 yarder on the opening drive. The QB scrambles were a problem for sure
Another disadvantage of playing too much man, a QB that can get out of the pocket and move. At least have a spy on whatever QB if he can move and you want to play man mostly. That 48 yard play to the back just looked like a straight bust to me, could be wrong. It just looked like whoever was supposed to cover him didn't know it.

This is why mobile QBs can take you out of man coverage.
Mobile QB can take you out of man coverage, he can also limit what you can do with your pass rush and as they had an experienced and well coached OL that means that the receivers had the time to complete patterns. Doesn't matter if you are in man or zone if you give well coached receivers enough time they will get open. The smart, veteran QB was good at finding them when they were.

We did adjust and when we did their offensive effectiveness in the second half was mostly taken away.

Raiola ain't going anywhere outside the pocket, so I sure as sh!t would stay primarily in man. As I've said repeatedly the last 4 days, this defense was never built to counter NDSU.

Nobody is dumb. Stop trying to find cracks in the armor 1 game in. Give it three games and then assess.

I think staying with our man stuff is good against Raiola and their skill players who can’t out athlete our DBs. However, I also think there needs to be some other concepts mixed in to confuse him. I didn’t realize it but they took him out for the 4th quarter last week so he still doesn’t even have a full game of college experience yet.

I think staying with our man stuff is good against Raiola and their skill players who can’t out athlete our DBs. However, I also think there needs to be some other concepts mixed in to confuse him. I didn’t realize it but they took him out for the 4th quarter last week so he still doesn’t even have a full game of college experience yet.
I sort of the think the game plan last week was "keep it simple, and win on talent."

On both sides of the ball.

If our D and O are as vanilla this week, I'm gonna be disappointashocked.

Raiola ain't going anywhere outside the pocket, so I sure as sh!t would stay primarily in man. As I've said repeatedly the last 4 days, this defense was never built to counter NDSU.

Nobody is dumb. Stop trying to find cracks in the armor 1 game in. Give it three games and then assess.
Not finding cracks, observing that we boldly say that we can man up against anyone at anytime, and so NDSU, which is a unicorn, said, OK, we will just run our wideouts down field to occupy your corners, then we will max protect, and then we will put the RB or TE into 1-on-1 with your LB and we will pick you apart in the middle of the field.

Man to man against NE and Raiola will be more effective because in theory, they WANT to throw to the WR's, but they can also just choose to run the ball, and then get the backs and TE involved in the short passing game. I have heard a lot about Livingston using the exotic blitz's and rolling coverage to confuse the QB. That makes me feel that we did not show much of anything against NDSU. Travis's ability to disguise where he is and how he and others can jump routes is what I hope to see on Saturday. I would like to see us make our own breaks, instead of getting beat in some of the most sucky ways, like QB scrambles

Another disadvantage of playing too much man, a QB that can get out of the pocket and move. At least have a spy on whatever QB if he can move and you want to play man mostly. That 48 yard play to the back just looked like a straight bust to me, could be wrong. It just looked like whoever was supposed to cover him didn't know it.
If I remember correctly Trevor either missed an assignment or just got completely beat on that play.

Back