What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

22-23 Transfer Portal and General Recruiting Catch-All Thread

I'll put this out there and take the darts.

Almost all kids will be fine showing their fall practice tape if that's all they have. Game tape alleviates the need for any practice tape of any vintage.

But spring tape is more relevant than fall tape. Especially for kids like Courtney who were skinny 18 year olds in the fall and "diamond in the rough" types to begin with. If he went against 1's this spring, that's important. It takes a lot of extra effort, but a staff member could easily sit down with a few kids and make a reel of spring practice highlights that feature the kid. The kid's had his dreams shattered and the next 4 years of his life uprooted. It's the least that RG can do. Have a staff member review the tape and veto any plays that "reveal too much" but come on, the vast majority of the plays are going to be what they ran at Kent State. Sure the tape could end up at TCU by way of San Angelo State University. But really?

Not to mention that half the players he's going to be going against are in the portal already or they are proven players with plenty of game tape. So this is a reasonable request in my opinion, that the kid went about in the wrong way.

CU should be helping each of these kids who volunteered their scholarship for the next 3 years. Courtney very easily could have said, nah, no thanks. I plan to continue here at Colorado and forced RG to finance the rest of his education. Go out of your way to help each kid get some interest, especially those that recent enrollees who Dorrell found in the back woods. Down vote away folks.

Almost all kids will be fine showing their fall practice tape if that's all they have. Game tape alleviates the need for any practice tape of any vintage.

But spring tape is more relevant than fall tape. Especially for kids like Courtney who were skinny 18 year olds in the fall and "diamond in the rough" types to begin with. If he went against 1's this spring, that's important. It takes a lot of extra effort, but a staff member could easily sit down with a few kids and make a reel of spring practice highlights that feature the kid. The kid's had his dreams shattered and the next 4 years of his life uprooted. It's the least that RG can do. Have a staff member review the tape and veto any plays that "reveal too much" but come on, the vast majority of the plays are going to be what they ran at Kent State. Sure the tape could end up at TCU by way of San Angelo State University. But really?

Not to mention that half the players he's going to be going against are in the portal already or they are proven players with plenty of game tape. So this is a reasonable request in my opinion, that the kid went about in the wrong way.

CU should be helping each of these kids who volunteered their scholarship for the next 3 years. Courtney very easily could have said, nah, no thanks. I plan to continue here at Colorado and forced RG to finance the rest of his education. Go out of your way to help each kid get some interest, especially those that recent enrollees who Dorrell found in the back woods. Down vote away folks.
Nah. Way too time consuming. By the time it was done, the portal would be over. It appears to be quite reasonable to not give out this Spring’s practice footage

Courtney knew exactly what he was doing when he posted on social media. Plus, and I'll say it again, no head coach/position coach/recruiting coordinator/GA gives a rat's @ss about your practice film. None, zero, nada, nyet.

Game Of Thrones Wow GIF by SoulPancake

Wait, yes we did.

Nah. Way too time consuming. By the time it was done, the portal would be over. It appears to be quite reasonable to not give out this Spring’s practice footage
The portal closes this week and recruiting from the portal lasts another 4 months. I think RG could find someone to make a few tapes for the special situations that exist for a few of the kids (i.e. zero game tape, not much in the fall due to injury, etc).

Courtney knew exactly what he was doing when he posted on social media. Plus, and I'll say it again, no head coach/position coach/recruiting coordinator/GA gives a rat's @ss about your practice film. None, zero, nada, nyet.
I disagree. Sure, Nick Saban doesn't care. But the directional schools who will be interested in a kid with 4 years of eligibility left are going to want to see anything they can get their hands on. It's zero cost, zero risk, and it's simply the humane thing to do. Courtney handled it wrong and has even said so on Twitter. He is simply a young man thrust into insecurity.

I disagree. Sure, Nick Saban doesn't care. But the directional schools who will be interested in a kid with 4 years of eligibility left are going to want to see anything they can get their hands on. It's zero cost, zero risk, and it's simply the humane thing to do. Courtney handled it wrong and has even said so on Twitter. He is simply a young man thrust into insecurity.
I had a sliver of sympathy for your mission until you stated zero cost.

I had a sliver of sympathy for your mission until you stated zero cost.
It’s zero cost for him to demand other people utilize their labor to go through hours of tape to find and cut out his few practice reps.

And let’s be honest, not providing the more recent practice tape of some of these guys might actually be doing them a favor.

Couldn’t get on the field for the worst college football team in the country, and obviously didn’t impress the new staff, so probably not a lot of (or any) wow reps from them in practice.

Not going to argue this beyond saying that he was better served sending his HS game film to coaches. He's only one year removed and most coaches will assume he wasn't coached out of any talent he did have (although with KD's staff you never know). Also, "directional schools" isn't really a thing anymore. It's not like the Texas State staff is sitting in an equipment shed watching practice film on a CRT TV using VCR tapes because it's all they can get/expect.

With the Bethel announcement I think we’re officially done with the cuts. It was even better than I imagined. Everyone I wanted gone? Gone. Even some of the new transfers that didn’t look the part? Gone.

The portal closes this week and recruiting from the portal lasts another 4 months. I think RG could find someone to make a few tapes for the special situations that exist for a few of the kids (i.e. zero game tape, not much in the fall due to injury, etc).
When a kid hasn't played in a college game yet (beyond maybe a couple of special teams plays here and there), how can he not use his HS film, which would probably be better for him? At least, it would show the potential that he might not yet have lived up to. No one gets smaller and slower from HS to college, unless they are dealing with injuries. A kid like this isn't going to Alabama. He could be a good fit for a small school. Not sure why practice tapes would make any real difference, I guess. Maybe running drills can show that a bigger kid can still move well?

With the Bethel announcement I think we’re officially done with the cuts. It was even better than I imagined. Everyone I wanted gone? Gone. Even some of the new transfers that didn’t look the part? Gone.
A CU team with standards and expectations for how players should perform…I wonder if this is what it was like in 1990?

One thing I'm concerned about is Upshaw being gone. He just got here and was a legit piece.
If he wasn’t good enough to start at Michigan. There is a good chance he isn’t good enough to start at cu. That’s at least what I think coach primes thought process is.

Back