What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

22-23 Transfer Portal and General Recruiting Catch-All Thread

Last edited:
1st 2026 offer?: 6'3", 302lb, 15 y.o. HS freshman - Colorado kid

I don't think you could have found 2 freshman at my high school that weighed 302 combined. And that's not just including athletes

I don't think you could have found 2 freshman at my high school that weighed 302 combined. And that's not just including athletes
Back in the late 1960s, it was very unusual to see anyone 6'3" or taller. I think McD's and such ramped up, at the same time they were pushing growth hormones in cattle.

Back in the late 1960s, it was very unusual to see anyone 6'3" or taller. I think McD's and such ramped up, at the same time they were pushing growth hormones in cattle.
I was mostly bagging on the size of the freshmen in my high school - I don't think anyone on the o-line was over 240, and that was the seniors.

I was mostly bagging on the size of the freshmen in my high school - I don't think anyone on the o-line was over 240, and that was the seniors.
Over 30 years ago and a big NJ high school, but our smallest OL weighed over 250.

Over 30 years ago and a big NJ high school, but our smallest OL weighed over 250.
We have seen a continuation of the trend to consolidate into fewer but much larger high schools
1680642609894.png
30-40 years ago Creek was the largest in Colorado at about 3200. Smoky was second with about (IIRC) 2300 with 5-6 other schools over 2000.

Simply math says that if you have a lot more kids you have the chances of having more kids who are bigger. High school sports have also become seen as a more important path to college and with open enrollment we tend to see top kids including big linemen types gravitating to schools that have reputations for winning and getting kids scholarships, much like we see the best basketball players following those coaches who win titles and send kids to D1.

A certain degree of this has always happened but rule changes along with college cost seems to have made it much more prevalent. It used to be that a kid had to be able to "prove" residence to play for a school, now that isn't a factor.

Well, I can't speak on the 60s but what state did you grow up in?

“Toward the end of the season, everybody sensed that change was coming. But we had come to really like our interim head coach,” Becker said. “But we understood that no matter how much you like the guy, you’ve got to win games in college. It’s a job at the end of the day. He got let go and then our AD kept telling us he was looking (for a new coach).”
TL/DR: Becker and some others really like Sanford and were butthurt he wasn't retained. Also, Becker saw Prime bringing in Mata and said **** that

We all liked Sanford. With as different as his philosophy is from Prime's, he could not be retained. It would have been a mixed message and created locker room factions. You've got to have one person driving an organization's culture and vision from the top

Swearing Jeremy Clarkson GIF by DriveTribe

I don't really see issue with what Becker said. He was forced out and hasn't seen any of the changes from Sanders.
Right on. He was comparing the culture from Dorrell era to Utah - there was a big difference. Then he liked Sanford, who still lost. He mentioned that the players are more of a family than at CU under Dorrell - I can believe that as well. He has no clue what the culture is like now, his references are from the past culture. Good for him/ I don't see him drilling FG's against CU - blocked or missed (if they Utah even gets that far downfield).

He wasn't forced out at all. He chose to leave because he didn't know for sure if he was going to be PK1. CU is going to carry two kickers and only went out and signed Feely when he transferred. Prime made it clear that nobody's job was safe and everyone was going to have to compete and Becker chose the path of least resistance. Maybe that's what was best for him and Wittingham has basically guaranteed him the job, but let's not make unnecessary excuses for him

It reads like a lot of people were content with losing. Good riddance.
I forget who said it, but there was a player comment after going 1-11 that this past season was the most fun he'd ever had playing football. Then there was that deleted podcast from the player who said that being on the CU football team was time consuming but he wouldn't call it hard.

We need to purge that mentality with fire and Coach Prime recognized this immediately.

I forget who said it, but there was a player comment after going 1-11 that this past season was the most fun he'd ever had playing football. Then there was that deleted podcast from the player who said that being on the CU football team was time consuming but he wouldn't call it hard.

We need to purge that mentality with fire and Coach Prime recognized this immediately.
Those few players (and maybe more than a few) were Stockholmed by a losing culture. Very strange things to say, especially in the context of last season.

It’s like “I’ve been married and divorced 8 times but I love the time I’ve spent with women and I’m a romantic at heart.”

He wasn't forced out at all. He chose to leave because he didn't know for sure if he was going to be PK1. CU is going to carry two kickers and only went out and signed Feely when he transferred. Prime made it clear that nobody's job was safe and everyone was going to have to compete and Becker chose the path of least resistance. Maybe that's what was best for him and Wittingham has basically guaranteed him the job, but let's not make unnecessary excuses for him
“Forced out” might be a little strong but IMO Becker made a pretty rational move for a kicker. Prime had just made his portal comments then brought Mata in. It’s all good. The transfer from ASU seems like he could be a home run.

Breaking news: Very decent OL portal transfer commitment from Kent State. He already knows the system and started every game at guard last season under Lewis and O'Boyle. Jack Bailey. Can also play center. This is a critical depth commitment.

This young man would be a great 'get', but it seems like his dad is the enthusiastic one.

That's exactly how it ****ing should be too. The part about nobody's job being safe. We just went 1-11 and we probably shouldn't have won the one damn game we did. Everybody should be on notice. As a player, if you're ok with getting your ass handed to you every damn week, go do that bull**** somewhere else. CP didn't come to CU for that, bottom line.

I see. Maybe, there weren't many tall dudes walking around the 60s. Kinda weird though, Jersey has a lot of basketball and football talent, probably more basketball I guess. Anyway, growing up in Texas, it was common to play against dudes who were 6'5", 6'6" or taller even in middle school. Some never got any taller after that, but some did.

Back