What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All in One DirecTV Hates Pac-12 Network Thread (Was Larry Scott Thread)

I prefer the additional revenue of ~6-8 million a month a deal with DirecTV would throw into the networks pockets. Also prefer PAC 12 Networks being available in bars. And mostly I prefer not having to go through this again this time next year.

Know I am being a pain in the ass on this and keep repeating ... just can't help making other people's decisions on their carrier. :wink2:

I hear some Buffalo Wild Wings have Dish and thus have P12 network.

No I speak in facts. You want to be a Pac 12 apologist all power to you.

Bottom line the Pac 12 network has very little programming that I will ever watch outside of the actual games which are always streamed on the free stream sites like vipsports.tv or firstrowsports.

Larry Scott has failed to get the Pac 12 network on DTV. FACT!!

He wants to get $$$ for Dear ole CU. I'm sorry that pinches you.

Blame Larry Scott for that.

And how stupid is Larry Scott to think that these ridiculous ads (good job wasting money on that Larry) he's coming up with are going to do damage to DirecTv? The guy is living in some weird fantasy land. You got a niche channel douche bag and DirecTV isn't ever going to go away so eventually at some point you are going to need to get a deal done with them. Drop the nonsense Larry. Get the ****ing deal done and don't show your stupid ass face on TV until its done.

I think DTV is already doomed. Once they run fiber level band with to the house you will have the ability to stream TV programming. At that point competitor X will be added to the current competition options of local cable, dish, dtv. Will a behemoth fat with money like apple google or MSFT jump in with their own system? What if Disney took all their channels off and offered their own box?

DTV, otoh, has satellites that are creeping slowly towards the end of their useful lifespans and are expensive to upgrade and replace. They are being hit with an ever higher cost from content providers. I wouldn't own the stock as I see this as the next media that the Internet will eat.

A glimmer of hope for those of you stuck on DirecTV.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100977669

It looks like DirecTV's rights run out at the end of next year and Google is interested in picking them up. I would imagine that it would be offered on Chromecast, which is awesome BTW and has huge potential.
http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/#netflix

I personally have no use for NFL Sunday Ticket. For some, that seems to be the only reason to keep DirecTV. I get my home team on local channels and use Red-Zone for fantasy football updates on Sunday. I have had DirecTV in the past and hated their customer service(freebies aside), tech and pricing. I switched to DISH which has been much cheaper, offered better technology(DVR), more HD channels and kept better than average customer service. (PM me if you plan on switching)

DISH has shut off AMC and FX before and only offers standard def ESPNU(could change in the future) but I manage to download programs(Breaking Bad, SOA) and watch non-HD Buff BBall games. This is all worth having the P12 channel for me.

Can you imagine if google bought all NFL rights and made them all web only? And free (controlling all advertising obviously)? That's a sea change if there ever was one. Plug in Xbox, Apple TV, or whatever. It's probably going to happen. He'll, the NFL could soon realize its close to not needing the networks because they can do delivery directly over the Internet.

I actually think that we need to be promoting to DTV customers to act like they are Pac 12 fans, even if they aren't, so they can collect the "freebies" and hit DTV that way. The only reason I haven't announced it on my facebook is the whole "is it the truth" and the number of Rotarians I count as friends.

OTOH, it would build goodwill and better friendships....

i disagree. DTV has to pay a ton of money to the NFL to have Sunday ticket. If they're having to give it away in order to keep customers, that costs them. Eventually, they'll come to the realization that they'd be better off simply offering the PAC 12 network.

They will simply stop offering the NFL Ticket when it is not in their economic interests. Right now it's a few hundred (maybe a few thousand) that are getting it for free. At $300 that's about 30K or so, give or take. Yet, now these people are now bound to staying a customer for another 12 months. Let's assume the average DTV subscribe pays $70 to DTV (minus taxes). That's 12 * $70 = $840 per customer per year. With no added real cost to give someone NFL Ticket it would require a lot of subscribers (and mainly bars that show it since they pay more) to say "enough is enough." Once DTV has recouped it's cost for the year, they could give it away. Their shareholders won't like it, but their shareholders would hate for them to lose hundreds of thousands of accounts as well.

I'm sure they would have lost a lot of accounts if they had done the same to the B1G as they are doing to the Pac12.

They will simply stop offering the NFL Ticket when it is not in their economic interests. Right now it's a few hundred (maybe a few thousand) that are getting it for free. At $300 that's about 30K or so, give or take.

Math wasn't your best subject, was it?

Larry Scott: No DirecTV for Pac12Network this year

So - a year later the PAC-12 network is not broadcasting on any new providers?

Larry Scott fail.

I think DTV is already doomed. Once they run fiber level band with to the house you will have the ability to stream TV programming. At that point competitor X will be added to the current competition options of local cable, dish, dtv. Will a behemoth fat with money like apple google or MSFT jump in with their own system? What if Disney took all their channels off and offered their own box?

DTV, otoh, has satellites that are creeping slowly towards the end of their useful lifespans and are expensive to upgrade and replace. They are being hit with an ever higher cost from content providers. I wouldn't own the stock as I see this as the next media that the Internet will eat.

this is already happening, not en-masse but it is occurring.

Alright, I'm ready to pull the trigger and drop DTV in favor of Dish, I care about Pac 12 Network more than I care about Sunday Ticket (I have it now and end up mostly watching Redzone anyway which I can get with Dish). I'm only a year into our DTV contract so my termination fee is $240, but Dish is giving an iPad2 to new customers so I'm trying to convince my wife that it's like getting an iPad 2 for $240.

Anyway I have a few questions for those of you guys that have Dish rather than reading this entire thread again:

1) My wife likes to watch movies, how does Blockbuster @ home compare to DTV on demand? I've always hated the DTV on demand - they seem to have a decent selection, but the navigation through their menus is a pain in the ass.

2) What's up with the monthly fee for Blockbuster? Are movies free once I pay for BB@home, or is the monthly fee just for access to the movies which I must also purchase?

3) Does Dish offer any sort of referral discounts? If so and one of you wants to be my referral, PM me.

Thanks in advance.

Alright, I'm ready to pull the trigger and drop DTV in favor of Dish, I care about Pac 12 Network more than I care about Sunday Ticket (I have it now and end up mostly watching Redzone anyway which I can get with Dish). I'm only a year into our DTV contract so my termination fee is $240, but Dish is giving an iPad2 to new customers so I'm trying to convince my wife that it's like getting an iPad 2 for $240.

Anyway I have a few questions for those of you guys that have Dish rather than reading this entire thread again:

1) My wife likes to watch movies, how does Blockbuster @ home compare to DTV on demand? I've always hated the DTV on demand - they seem to have a decent selection, but the navigation through their menus is a pain in the ass.

2) What's up with the monthly fee for Blockbuster? Are movies free once I pay for BB@home, or is the monthly fee just for access to the movies which I must also purchase?

3) Does Dish offer any sort of referral discounts? If so and one of you wants to be my referral, PM me.

Thanks in advance.

The blockbuster monthly fee gives you access to the blockbuster online library. Think Netflix but not near as much selection. I tried it for a couple of months but wasn’t using it so I canceled that service. There are no additional fees for the blockbuster content other than the monthly fee.

There are lots of other movie content (both free and pay per view on demand) outside of the blockbuster service. I’ve never had DTV so I can’t compare services.

I sent you a pm. There is a $50 discount for you and me for a referral!

Last edited:

Thanks in advance.
on demand is pretty good - but my family prefers VUDU when it comes to movies. With VUDU it is pay as you go, no monthly fees and a great selection. I stream it through my blue ray players to each tv. and the cost of each movie ranges from $1 to $5.99 depending on title

SAN FRANCISCO, CALIF. (August 27, 2013) - Pac-12 fans in Connecticut, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Virginia and Washington D.C. are about to gain access to all of the great content the Pac-12 Networks has to offer.
The combination of new distribution agreements and expanded access with current providers means more Pac-12 fans will have options to watch their favorite teams on the Pac-12 Networks beginning in a matter of days.
The expanded reach begins Tuesday, August 27 when Time Warner Cable launches the Pac-12 Networks on its systems in Indiana (Evansville, Terre Haute), Kentucky (Lexington, Louisville) and Ohio (Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Columbus).
Cox is creating a new Cox Sports2 tier and over the next few weeks will be making the Pac-12 Networks available within that new tier to their subscribers in Connecticut (Hartford/New Haven), Massachusetts (Springfield), Oklahoma (Oklahoma City and Tulsa), Ohio (Cleveland), Rhode Island (Providence), Virginia (Norfolk/Newport News, Richmond/Petersburg, Roanoke) and Washington DC. Cox is planning to launch in Oklahoma around August 31, Virginia and DC around September 5 and on its Northeast systems approximately September 8.

http://pac-12.com/article/2013/08/2...w-distribution-agreements-and-expanded-access

ugh...great for P12 fans in those markets, but not good for the league to get relegated to not even the main sports tier but a supplementary sports tier, that is just painful.

ugh...great for P12 fans in those markets, but not good for the league to get relegated to not even the main sports tier but a supplementary sports tier, that is just painful.

represents a break from COX's lock step with DTV though which can only help.

For all their shortcomings in their programming, chanels, DVR, customer service, and above all else billing, Comcast does offer a kick ass internet service. It's a noticable upgrade. No doubt about it.

DTV cancelled, comcast here i come.

At least my internet will kick ass now.

So, curious how the conversation with DTV went. Did they try to keep you? Did you tell them you're leaving because of the lack of the Pac 12 network? Did they have a response to that?

I'm on the phone with Direct TV, and have been for an hour. Every time they tell me "no" (cancellation fees) I ask if it's because they lack the authority, or lack the willingness. They keep pushing me up the chain. This is the fifth person I've spoken to on this one call. I'm on hold for his supervisor. I'm gonna tell him I'm taking my story (not the whole thing has been shared here) to the Pac 12 Network to exploit.

I'm on the phone with Direct TV, and have been for an hour. Every time they tell me "no" (cancellation fees) I ask if it's because they lack the authority, or lack the willingness. They keep pushing me up the chain. This is the fifth person I've spoken to on this one call. I'm on hold for his supervisor. I'm gonna tell him I'm taking my story (not the whole thing has been shared here) to the Pac 12 Network to exploit.

At the very least, the time you've chewed up on the phone will cause them to take notice.

Also, it limits your posting, so it's a win for the rest of us too.

At the very least, the time you've chewed up on the phone will cause them to take notice.

Also, it limits your posting, so it's a win for the rest of us too.

I'm on hold. I can post.

"So, do I understand correctly that you tried to waive the fee in the system?"

"Well, ummm, I, well, not exactly."

"When I was transferred to this number, I was told that I'd be speaking to someone who has the power to waive my fee."

"Well, I do have a lot of power, but there are these criteria, we have to follow, see, and I'm just not sure how to do this."

"I find that hard to believe. It would be silly if nobody had the authority to waive the fee."

"Well, let's see. I'm...I'm...I'm still trying to reach that supervisor..."

Oh Jesus Christ.

Back