What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bowl Games Thread

Alabama, getting old seeing them win over and over and over again.
This is what I keep coming back to with college ball. As excited as I am about the Buffs future, will they ever be in the NC convo or be able to even compete with a team like Bama?

I know there have been some dominating programs in the past, but not like this.

Good or bad for college football in your opinion?

I don't know. Dynasties draw more tv eyeballs than parity, but can kill hope and cause desperation. Patriots may be good for NFL tv ratings, for example, but I'm sure it's been really bad for business if you're talking about the Dolphins, Bills and Jets. Might we see a reaction from SEC teams that causes some serious problems with the NCAA as they break rules to try to catch up?

Like with most things, there is good and bad with it. If I was an SEC fan, I'd say mostly bad. Conference was definitely stronger when it was a team from the SEC winning the national title every year and it was different teams doing it. Not being an SEC fan, I don't mind it since it's about getting to the playoffs and taking your shot at Alabama.

Also, programs like Ohio State, Florida State and Clemson aren't that far behind them at the moment when you look at their recruiting & guys they're putting in the NFL.

Good or bad for college football in your opinion?

I think it's great for the game because it gives everyone a villain. I find mediocrity boring. I loved the USC dynasty of the early 2000's and I loved the Miami dynasties of the late 80's and early 90's.

Alabama, getting old seeing them win over and over and over again.

I've mentioned this to @Buffnik and others in person, but not sure if I've said it on the board: I look at it strictly on how it impacts Colorado and their standing in college football. We will most likely never have as many NCs as Bama or Ohio State or some other schools. However, we are currently tied at 1 with Clemson and Washington, and many other schools there or at 0 or within reach at 2 or 3. So why would I ever cheer for a team to separate themselves from us? Or tie us? Unless the Buffs are winning it, go Bama. **** Notre Dame* and **** Nebraska*.

*exceptions to the thought process

Also, anyone in favor of a playoff, especially eight teams, should probably not be rooting for a dynasty.

It also isn't as if Alabama has been winning every year.
They won last year but the prior two were Ohio State and Florida State following Bama 3 out of 4. Dominant absolutely but not as if nobody else has a chance.

I think it's great for the game because it gives everyone a villain. I find mediocrity boring. I loved the USC dynasty of the early 2000's and I loved the Miami dynasties of the late 80's and early 90's.
Sure, but the villain card only works if they are beaten more regularly than Bama has been the past decade.

I guess I like the idea of hope for the majority of P5 teams being able to be crowned National champs. At the moment, it's just not he case

Bama being great only draws casual viewers for 2-3 games a year.

Yep. Kind of like what ND State does to me with my FCS interest level. Might be good for tv revenue on the whole, but it may not have been good for the sport and certainly didn't do any favors to the teams in their conference.

Sure, but the villain card only works if they are beaten more regularly than Bama has been the past decade.

I guess I like the idea of hope for the majority of P5 teams being able to be crowned National champs. At the moment, it's just not he case

I guess I never had that idea. There's no salary cap or draft in D1 football. There are haves and havenots. Always been that way. I'm very ok with that. And I still feel like a Colorado can build a level of success that allows it to win another national title in a year when it all comes together.

Miami was very close to winning 5 in 6 years from '86-'91 and they still won 3 in that span. And USC was a great Vince Young run from winning 3 straight from 2003-'05

I guess I never had that idea. There's no salary cap or draft in D1 football. There are haves and havenots. Always been that way. I'm very ok with that. And I still feel like a Colorado can build a level of success that allows it to win another national title in a year when it all comes together.
I just feel like the gap between the haves and have nots (and the teams in between) have gotten wider and wider the past 15 years. I look at Okie State as a prime example. They have had 11 straight bowl seasons including 5 double digit win seasons the past 7 years, yet they aren't even the flagship program in their state, and haven't really been a serious National Title contender during that stretch.

They will only have won 5 out of 8 if they win this season.

Didn't say they haven't been dominant, that is why they get called a dynasty. My point is though that if they win this year it will be 2 out of 4, 50% they are dominant but it isn't as if no other team has a chance. As long as there is a chance then you can maintain interest, even if that interest is in fans hoping to see the upset.

Looking forward to the 9th, when Alabama slowly chokes out Clemson or Ohio State in another boring slogfest.

Back