What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CFB Playoff.

No. That and analytics are things we use to make educated guesses about which team is better when they haven't played.
I hear ya. But H2H has to be modified, otherwise aTm would be ahead of Bama. All data points matter.

If aTm only had 1 loss, they would deserve to be ranked ahead of Bama.
Yes, I agree.

But that would mean their resume and body of work is similar.

And that H2H then matters. But, it’s not, and it doesn’t.

The first thing I said was that it be 2 teams we're actually trying to compare & decide between. Everything I've said starts from there.
Sorry, I only saw that “analytics don’t matter to me if I’m deciding between two teams that have played”. Maybe I didn’t go back far enough.

Analytics don't matter to me if I'm deciding between 2 teams that played.

So who would you put higher if ND and Cincy both end up with 1 loss? This is a situation where you need to look at their schedule and who've they've beat and IMO their head to head result wouldn't even come into play because ND's resume as a whole stacks up better than Cincy's

So who would you put higher if ND and Cincy both end up with 1 loss? This is a situation where you need to look at their schedule and who've they've beat and IMO their head to head result wouldn't even come into play because ND's resume as a whole stacks up better than Cincy's
ND has beat one ranked team (Wisconsin) and lost their other matchup to a ranked team in Cincy. Their resume isn’t actually that good and I would definitely say Cincinnati goes ahead

ND has beat one ranked team (Wisconsin) and lost their other matchup to a ranked team in Cincy. Their resume isn’t actually that good and I would definitely say Cincinnati goes ahead

I agree that ND's schedule isn't that good but it's more an indictment of Cincinnnati's schedule. Aside from ND they haven't beat anyone who has a win over a Power 5 team

I agree that ND's schedule isn't that good but it's more an indictment of Cincinnnati's schedule. Aside from ND they haven't beat anyone who has a win over a Power 5 team
Yes, it’s P5 vs G5 argument, but NDs schedule is trash for a P5 program so I wouldn’t use that as any kind indicator. I think this is a prime example of what nik’s talking about. Neither schedule is very good and Cincy won (by multiple scores) H2H

Can you name a few that are currently being debated for the top 4? Oregon/tOSU and Cin/ND.
Yes. Those are the two primary ones. Michigan vs Sparty previously.

I’m OK with Oregon being ranked ahead of tOSU up to this point. I think tOSU jumps them, maybe this week.

I’m OK with Michigan being ranked higher than Sparty (until today). I think they are better than Sparty, data and eyes

I think Cincy should be ranked ahead of ND.

Yes, it’s P5 vs G5 argument, but NDs schedule is trash for a P5 program so I wouldn’t use that as any kind indicator. I think this is a prime example of what nik’s talking about. Neither schedule is very good and Cincy won (by multiple scores) H2H.

Once again, it's more about Cincy's schedule than ND's. As for ND's schedule, aside from those B1G East teams nobody in the top 10 has played a great schedule. For that matter Georgia's best win is over #21 Arkansas and that's their only ranked win

Once again, it's more about Cincy's schedule than ND's. As for ND's schedule, aside from those B1G East teams nobody in the top 10 has played a great schedule. For that matter Georgia's best win is over #21 Arkansas and that's their only ranked win
You’re looking at schedules, which are largely meh for both ND and Cincy. I’m looking at H2H because ND hasn’t done anything special that should overrule H2H.

For example, Oregon beat Ohio State, and Ohio State hadn’t done anything special to warrant downplaying the H2H, until today where Ohio State just made a statement against #7. That is something special that could sway me to put tOSU over Oregon. Although, if Oregon can beat Utah convincingly on the road tonight, I’m not sure I’d be ready to do that.

Cincy kicked their ass in ND's backyard. That should decide it without argument.

Sadly, Oregon just isn’t that good and the eye test over the last couple weeks is obvious. They caught tOSU early when they were breaking in a Freshman QB and Coombs was still calling the defense, but does anyone think they’d stay within two scores of Ohio State now? Even with a win tonight, I don’t have a problem with tOSU jumping them.

Sadly, Oregon just isn’t that good and the eye test over the last couple weeks is obvious. They caught tOSU early when they were breaking in a Freshman QB and Coombs was still calling the defense, but does anyone think they’d stay within two scores of Ohio State now? Even with a win tonight, I don’t have a problem with tOSU jumping them.

I am trying to understand why Bama is getting any benefit of the doubt.

I think so. I don’t think they’re deserving of #2 after this week but who out there is clearly better?

Clearly better? Hard to say.

But they're really not clearly better than a lot of teams either. Their schedule/wins are decentish. I guess.

If Ohio State and Michigan play a thriller next week, why shouldn't the two-loss loser get extreme BOTD?

I am trying to understand why Bama is getting any benefit of the doubt.

Their #2 ranking is certainly disputable after another subpar home win (LSU, now today against Arkansas) and tOSU should clearly be the #2 team after today. But with Bama it doesn't really matter - they'll either lose to UGA - maybe even next week in Jordan-Hare and will be out of the playoff, or they'll beat Auburn and then knock off UGA to win the SEC title at which point they clearly deserve to be in the playoff. It's pretty clear with Alabama.

Back