What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chip Long - OC Notre Dame

Nope. And yes, I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth when I say if you can guarantee two years of top-5 in the nation, I'll take the next Urban Meyer even if it means he bails before year three. But Utah also got lucky that Kyle Whittingham was there to take the reigns behind Meyer.
You worry about who the next coach will be when we need the next coach - hire the best guy you can get, period even if it means they may leave you at some point.

You want stability more than championships. Gimme championships.
You're putting words in my mouth. I literally said I would like to have stability and win championships. But to your point, yeah, maybe I'd rather be in position to win conference championships every year for the next 20 years than to make the playoffs the next two years and be in the same position we're in now in year five, after our next coach bails before year three.

You worry about who the next coach will be when we need the next coach - hire the best guy you can get, period even if it means they may leave you at some point.
I guess the question is would you rather **** a 6/10 for 20 years or a 10/10 once? And honestly, I'd probably rather **** the the 10/10 once. So maybe you're right.

But didn't Urban leave Utah at the first sniff from an SEC team? I hate to say it, but if a young, up-and-coming football mind takes a HC gig at Colorado, especially one without any ties to the state or university, and has any semblance of success, he'll be gone within 2 years like Urban Meyer did to Utah.

If you are successful, well-heeled programs are going to come knocking at your door. SMU made a big Money push for McCartney after the death penalty and he had accepted the job but backed out at the last minute. I would love to have that type of success where people want your HC.

The logic that we don't want someone who will be successful because someone will take them escapes me. Then we should of kept MacIntyre.

Chip Long, Notre Dame OC

I was late to the Chip Long train, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. The 35-year old wunderkind has enjoyed a meteoric rise. He was a part of Arizona State’s staff from 2012-15 as a tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator (read: recruiting star) and then moved to Memphis with Mike Norvell as OC. After a record-breaking year at Memphis, he was quickly hired by Brian Kelley at Notre Dame. Now, the OC for the Golden Domers is part of an amazing offense that is adapting to its personnel and is destroying plenty of good teams. Part or most of that is Brian Kelley, sure, but Long now has an impressive list of mentors and he hasn’t forgotten how to recruit. Long is very young, but so is Sean McVay, probably the best coach in all of football. Long would be a very fun hire that could pay off big-time. He would also be relatively cheap.

https://www.ralphiereport.com/color...288/who-is-colorado-footballs-next-head-coach
Why are you putting that link in every one of your posts?

I guess the question is would you rather **** a 6/10 for 20 years or a 10/10 once? And honestly, I'd probably rather **** the the 10/10 once. So maybe you're right.
Coaches who are 10's are naturally gifted and put passion and effort into what they're doing. I'll take a 10 coach and an 8 when it comes to women, thanks.

If you are successful, well-heeled programs are going to come knocking at your door. SMU made a big Money push for McCartney after the death penalty and he had accepted the job but backed out at the last minute. I would love to have that type of success where people want your HC.

The logic that we don't want someone who will be successful because someone will take them escapes me. Then we should of kept MacIntyre.
You are all correct. There's not a single person on this site that wouldn't take a coach with enough success at CU to get poached from another, more traditionally successful, program. But is it too much to ask for a coach that's successful and wants to stay? I guess I'm just depressed at the situation. When I was growing up, CU was the destination. Now it feels like a stepping stone job, and that fact just bums me out. I blame Rick Neuheisel (or I guess Dick Tharp for hiring that clown).

You are all correct. There's not a single person on this site that wouldn't take a coach with enough success at CU to get poached from another, more traditionally successful, program. But is it too much to ask for a coach that's successful and wants to stay? I guess I'm just depressed at the situation. When I was growing up, CU was the destination. Now it feels like a stepping stone job, and that fact just bums me out. I blame Rick Neuheisel (or I guess Dick Tharp for hiring that clown).
You are desirous of a unicorn. We all are. It's just that none of us think unicorns are real. I am suggesting you watch this, and apply it to our situation:

Here's the thing -- if we hire the right guy and he has a ton of success, CU is the type of place that can make it so that he doesn't want to leave unless it's one of those small handful of offers that any coach would jump for.

Here's the thing -- if we hire the right guy and he has a ton of success, CU is the type of place that can make it so that he doesn't want to leave unless it's one of those small handful of offers that any coach would jump for.
we support winners, even ones that are controversial. Win here, and you can win national championships while your family grows up in one of the best cities in America. Everything is now in place. No short cuts necessary.

I absolutely believe CU can be a destination rather than a stepping stone. We don't have the donor base at this point, but a few top 20 seasons mixed in with a conference championship and NYD bowls will loosen up some pocketbooks.

I absolutely believe CU can be a destination rather than a stepping stone. We don't have the donor base at this point, but a few top 20 seasons mixed in with a conference championship and NYD bowls will loosen up some pocketbooks.
It's never going to be a destination like USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Texas, OU, etc. but I do believe it can be in that next tier of "destinations".

It's never going to be a destination like USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Texas, OU, etc. but I do believe it can be in that next tier of "destinations".
How did CU look to the coaching market when Coach Mac left? I don't recall exactly what it looked like back then because I think we were pretty set on Neuheisel and there wasn't much of a search? Is that right? I would have thought that CU would have been in the discussion with those other programs back then. If so, I beg to differ. :)

Right. And you do see coaches who never want to leave once they get a good thing going. Ferentz at Iowa, Dantonio at Michigan State, Patterson at TCU.

CU has had 1 coach who chose to leave, right? And we were more than happy to replace him with Barnett.

How did CU look to the coaching market when Coach Mac left? I don't recall exactly what it looked like back then because I think we were pretty set on Neuheisel and there wasn't much of a search? Is that right? I would have thought that CU would have been in the discussion with those other programs back then. If so, I beg to differ. :)
I'm not sure, I was like 4 years old, but I also don't really look at anything relating to the college football landscape 30 years ago as remotely relevant to today. I think there are 8-10 jobs in college football that just about any coach in the country would jump another program for. Maybe 15 years from now, if CU has 3-4 Nattys, a new stadium, all the monies, and is paying a HC ~$10m/year, then we can be put in that tier.

Right. And you do see coaches who never want to leave once they get a good thing going. Ferentz at Iowa, Dantonio at Michigan State, Patterson at TCU.

CU has had 1 coach who chose to leave, right? And we were more than happy to replace him with Barnett.
Do you think if Dantonio or Patterson were offered one of those 8-10 jobs, they would turn them down, though? Maybe they have been offered; I don't really know.

Do you think if Dantonio or Patterson were offered one of those 8-10 jobs, they would turn them down, though? Maybe they have been offered; I don't really know.
I remember Patterson was being targeted by all the big boys and he refused to leave TCU... and that was when they were still in the MWC. Dude had a vision for the place.

I'm not sure, I was like 4 years old, but I also don't really look at anything relating to the college football landscape 30 years ago as remotely relevant to today. I think there are 8-10 jobs in college football that just about any coach in the country would jump another program for. Maybe 15 years from now, if CU has 3-4 Nattys, a new stadium, all the monies, and is paying a HC ~$10m/year, then we can be put in that tier.
You're a pup! :) Agree with ya.

Technically, Chuck Fairbanks left to go coach the USFL.

Risky. Yeah he looks like a start OC'ing 5* ath letes at ND. Not sure I want him as a 1st time HC.

Risky. Yeah he looks like a start OC'ing 5* ath letes at ND. Not sure I want him as a 1st time HC.
Really good recruiter everywhere he's been and made his name as an OC at Memphis where he didn't have any 5* athletes. Also, how many 5* athletes are on ND's roster these past two years?

Ian Book was a pretty run of the mill 3* if memory serves. He was one of those guys that was good, but not quite good enough for P12 offers. I think ND stole him from Boise or somewhere late in the process

Back