What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chip Long - OC Notre Dame

I don't necessarily equate having the title "recruiting coordinator" and "good recruiter". It doesn't always work that way. I had a neighbor once who was the RC for CSU and I had to teach him to use the internet. Let's just say he's done nothing to move down since that job.
^This. Bernardi was recruiting coordinator at UCLA. /discussion

i like both candidates a lot. let's assume for a minute that these short lists are semi-correct. we are looking at whole bunch of really talented coaches. so, it comes down to stuff beyond the stats from their last jobs-- fit, culture, and the PLAN that they want to execute here-- what staff, how do they use our guys, etc.

and, lastly, and most importantly, the love we have for any particular candidate cannot be unrequited. maybe one or more of the potential short list doesn't want the job or doesn't want to do it the way rg wants it done, etc.

we're swimming in a deep pool here, apparently. we've got great options, supposedly. splitting hairs between long and another guy like that is a luxury for us.

He’s an emerging young talent, but I think Colorado needs to go with a coach who has success at the head coaching level before.

Another factor is he won’t be available until late December because he will have to stay on as OC for Norte Dame. Valuable time lost with recruits.

He’s an emerging young talent, but I think Colorado needs to go with a coach who has success at the head coaching level before.

Another factor is he won’t be available until late December because he will have to stay on as OC for Norte Dame. Valuable time lost with recruits.

Why would he be required to stay with Notre Dame if he takes a promotion to another school? Is there some sort of contractual item you’re aware of that others are not?

Head coaching experience is a requirement CU fans hold dear, for no real reason.

You are getting a little tedious with complaints. Even if Long did not leave ND early, there are worse things than getting free pub in a CFB playoff game because your next coach is coaching in that game.

Why would he be required to stay with Notre Dame if he takes a promotion to another school? Is there some sort of contractual item you’re aware of that others are not?
Not required to stay, but all OC / DC who have taken HC jobs have stayed. Even Lane Kiffin did before he was fired.

Head coaching experience is a requirement CU fans hold dear, for no real reason.

You are getting a little tedious with complaints. Even if Long did not leave ND early, there are worse things than getting free pub in a CFB playoff game because your next coach is coaching in that game.
Why wouldn’t you want a coach with previous HC experience. I don’t disagree a coach without HC experience can do it at this level, but when you’ve been one you have experience that comes with it. You don’t have to learn things because you’ve done it already or have prepared for how you’d better do things. Different when you haven’t seen it. Just my belief, though.

Why wouldn’t you want a coach with previous HC experience. I don’t disagree a coach without HC experience can do it at this level, but when you’ve been one you have experience that comes with it. You don’t have to learn things because you’ve done it already or have prepared for how you’d better do things. Different when you haven’t seen it. Just my belief, though.

Because I do not believe it is a vital element to success.

What happened at other programs is irrelevant. If he comes to CU early, great. If he doesn’t, free publicity. Win/win.

Free publicity is great, no doubt, but you’re losing valuable recruiting time that he has to spend coaching another team.

I’m not saying it’s a big deal at all, just something an AD will at least consider. You see it a lot in the NFL too. Teams don’t like to wait.

Free publicity is great, no doubt, but you’re losing valuable recruiting time that he has to spend coaching another team.

I’m not saying it’s a big deal at all, just something an AD will at least consider. You see it a lot in the NFL too. Teams don’t like to wait.

I guess your boy Schiano is disqualified then too since they’ve got a good shot to be in the playoffs.

I guess your boy Schiano is disqualified then too since they’ve got a good shot to be in the playoffs.

Again, not a disqualification. Being a head coach before you are more prepared and he would likely have a much more experienced staff than Long could put together.

Sadly, I don’t think OSU gets in. Don’t see Oklahoma losing unfortunately.

Again, not a disqualification. Being a head coach before you are more prepared and he would likely have a much more experienced staff than Long could put together.

The OU-UT game will be close. The OU defense will ensure that. tOSU will roll this weekend.

So as it pertains to the CU job, besides Schiano, who would be your candidates with previous HC experience?

The OU-UT game will be close. The OU defense will ensure that. tOSU will roll this weekend.

Hope so man!

So as it pertains to the CU job, besides Schiano, who would be your candidates with previous HC experience?

You need a coach capable of competing with UCLA, USC, etc. Obviously Holgersen, but don’t think that’s realistic. Wells at Utah State would be an interesting name as would Harsin at Boise State. Again, don’t think those are realistic names either as both are selective. Leavitt is another name who I think could maybe get it done, but I don’t think he can compete long term with the top of the division.

Hope so man!

You need a coach capable of competing with UCLA, USC, etc. Obviously Holgersen, but don’t think that’s realistic. Wells at Utah State would be an interesting name as would Harsin at Boise State. Again, don’t think those are realistic names either as both are selective. Leavitt is another name who I think could maybe get it done, but I don’t think he can compete long term with the top of the division.

The list you’ve given are all in the no way category.

Hope so man!

The idea that Wells and Harsin aren’t realistic because THEY are too selective and wouldn’t jump to CU is laughable.

Schiano was much higher on my list before you started harping and grandstanding for him. Now I’m kind of ‘meh’ for him.

Lupoi, Lake, or Long are the options that I believe make the most sense for what Colorado needs today.
And Day. Also Tucker. I’d say my list as of this minute is

Day
Lake
Tucker
Long
Lupoi.

Wells, no. What I’m hearing is U st fans want him gone so they can make the OC the HC. We don’t need Hawkins 2.0

Not required to stay, but all OC / DC who have taken HC jobs have stayed. Even Lane Kiffin did before he was fired.
All have stayed? Care to back that up?

Gerry DiNardo was hired away from the Buffs to LSU before we won the National Championship. The Orange Bowl was Gary Barnett's first game as Offensive Coordinator.

All have stayed? Care to back that up?

Gerry DiNardo was hired away from the Buffs to LSU before we won the National Championship. The Orange Bowl was Gary Barnett's first game as Offensive Coordinator.

Since the playoff system has started, all OC/DC’s who have gotten HC jobs have remained on staff until there season has concluded.

Back