What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Chip Long - OC Notre Dame

You are all correct. There's not a single person on this site that wouldn't take a coach with enough success at CU to get poached from another, more traditionally successful, program. But is it too much to ask for a coach that's successful and wants to stay? I guess I'm just depressed at the situation. When I was growing up, CU was the destination. Now it feels like a stepping stone job, and that fact just bums me out. I blame Rick Neuheisel (or I guess Dick Tharp for hiring that clown).

Tharp did not hire Neuheisel, Marolt was the AD when Neuheisel was hired. But it was because of a directive by Judith Albino - part of the reason Marolt resigned as AD.

NFL is a copycat league and everybody is looking for the next McVay. Not sure if Long would be considered for an NFL HC job, but he could jump at a coordinator role.

I feel like we're not giving this guy enough consideration. I was curious who he has worked under

Started under Bobby Petrino, then did some time under Ron Zook at Illinois, then hooked up with Todd Graham at ASU, then Mike Norvell at Memphis, and now Brian Kelly at ND. A decent group, Petrino not looking so hot now, but he had some pretty innovative offenses back then. Zook sucked at Illinois, but he was a recruiting machine. Graham was meh at ASU, but it wasn't for lack of offense.

Along with Lake, they're the best geographic fits if you value that.

I feel like we're not giving this guy enough consideration. I was curious who he has worked under

Started under Bobby Petrino, then did some time under Ron Zook at Illinois, then hooked up with Todd Graham at ASU, then Mike Norvell at Memphis, and now Brian Kelly at ND. A decent group, Petrino not looking so hot now, but he had some pretty innovative offenses back then. Zook sucked at Illinois, but he was a recruiting machine. Graham was meh at ASU, but it wasn't for lack of offense.

Along with Lake, they're the best geographic fits if you value that.
He's so young, though. I really question whether CU has the things in place to be able to turn over the keys to a guy like Long. Especially coming from outside and needing to win over a new locker room and boosters while putting his stamp on things by setting the organizational culture. That's a big ask.

He's so young, though. I really question whether CU has the things in place to be able to turn over the keys to a guy like Long. Especially coming from outside and needing to win over a new locker room and boosters while putting his stamp on things by setting the organizational culture. That's a big ask.
He's our age. He is perfect!

It would definitely depend on his personality, which I don't have a great sense of. It can definitely be done if a 30 year old McVay can win over NFL guys, but that's probably pretty damn rare.

It just seems if we're going with an offense guy, the options are slim.

It would definitely depend on his personality, which I don't have a great sense of. It can definitely be done if a 30 year old McVay can win over NFL guys, but that's probably pretty damn rare.

It just seems if we're going with an offense guy, the options are slim.
In a lot of ways, it's easier in the NFL. Grown men. Paid professionals. They don't ask for their HC to be a father figure.

In a lot of ways, it's easier in the NFL. Grown men. Paid professionals. They don't ask for their HC to be a father figure.
I agree that college presents different/more challenges in an intangible way than the NFL. Also, while I think there has to be a bit of fatherly figure to the kids and their parents need to feel comfortable, I don’t think it needs to be to the level we heard MM was at with this. He’s their coach, not their father.

Regardless, he would need a very strong staff that is comfortable being under a younger guy and can help him with some of those kinds of things. It would be a bold hire for sure, but could pay huge dividends if the proper staff was assembled.

I agree that college presents different/more challenges in an intangible way than the NFL. Also, while I think there has to be a bit of fatherly figure to the kids and their parents need to feel comfortable, I don’t think it needs to be to the level we heard MM was at with this. He’s their coach, not their father.

Regardless, he would need a very strong staff that is comfortable being under a younger guy and can help him with some of those kinds of things. It would be a bold hire for sure, but could pay huge dividends if the proper staff was assembled.
The thing you bring up with the coaching staff is the other big thing. You'd need to hire people who weren't looking to be mentored as coaches, but were established and solid in what they do. They'd be here for the opportunity to have a P5 job and, on the offensive side, learn new schematic concepts from an innovative coaching mind. You'd have to be very careful about those hires.

The thing you bring up with the coaching staff is the other big thing. You'd need to hire people who weren't looking to be mentored as coaches, but were established and solid in what the do. They'd be here for the opportunity to have a P5 job and, on the offensive side, learn new schematic concepts from an innovative coaching mind. You'd have to be very careful about those hires.
That would be my main concern. Imagine a guy like Leavitt as DC under Long... A guy like 25 years older who is really hungry for a P5 job having to take orders from a 35 year old. Long would need a Don Brown or Venables type of guy DC (someone who may not be looking to be a HC). I'm not too worried about the offensive side as Long is probably smarter than 95% of offensive assistants he'd bring in, but the defensive side could be a weird dynamic.

I look at McVay, and that's the first thing I thought of... Who is his DC? Wade Phillips, who has zero desire to be HC again. If you watched the game on Monday, you can see all of his assistant coaches and other staff members, who are definitely older than he is, respect the hell out of him. He is a rare individual who is wiser beyond his years, and has demanded and earned the respect of others around him. I would imagine Rick George would know if Long is the same type of guy immediately during an interview.

The thing you bring up with the coaching staff is the other big thing. You'd need to hire people who weren't looking to be mentored as coaches, but were established and solid in what they do. They'd be here for the opportunity to have a P5 job and, on the offensive side, learn new schematic concepts from an innovative coaching mind. You'd have to be very careful about those hires.
Agree. Theoretically though, any coach we hire will have the power to fill his staff with people he has a relationship with, feels comfortable with. That said, that list of people is bound to be a lot shorter with a 35-yo than, say, a 46-yo DC from the SEC with a laser death stare.

I'd be on board with this guy. Big risk but he'd wouldn't cost much and could potentially be a budding star. Would much rather have a coordinator like this from a big P5 program than someone like Harsin, Wells, etc.

He's intriguing. Is he ready for HC? Can he command the respect of the players? I think so.

Here's a clip from two years ago:

With a few days to consider options...

I think I like Chip Long for our job.

Young, disciplined, great recruiter (example Ballage) and he has Pac 12 and big time P5 winning experience.

Oh and we can afford him.

I worry about the lack of a soul.
south-park-s09e11-ginger-kids_16x9.jpg

I worry about the lack of a soul.
south-park-s09e11-ginger-kids_16x9.jpg
Slider did it first, slider did it first!

Also, I'm on board with ginger Cartman. Reasons:

1) We can nickname this guy Ginger Cartman.
2) He'd be in my top 3 or 4 if I thought he was a legit option.
3) Southpark rules!
4) Burning our enemies in a pit of lava while exorcising our demons in a fit of vengeful, unreasoning fury is right up my alley.

i envision a new version of the truly awesome "catholics v. convicts" t-shirts from way back in the day.

Slider did it first, slider did it first!

Also, I'm on board with ginger Cartman. Reasons:

1) We can nickname this guy Ginger Cartman.
2) He'd be in my top 3 or 4 if I thought he was a legit option.
3) Southpark rules!
4) Burning our enemies in a pit of lava while exorcising our demons in a fit of vengeful, unreasoning fury is right up my alley.
Simpsons did it, Simpsons did it!

so trying to figure out why we'd want Long over Ryan Day

Day's offense is more high powered and flashy, but running game is weak this year. Maybe it wouldn't be as great without a top tier NFL QB? FWIW it was top notch last year.
2017: 3400 rushing yards 5.8 ypc
2018: 2200 rushing yards 4.4 ypc

Long's offenses at ND have been more run oriented, painfully so until Ian Book became the QB for them this year. I didn't think his offense was as flashy, but it was unique and ingenuitive. He also came into a situation at ND that wasn't great (Kelly was borderline about to be fired) and helped turn it around. Brian Kelly is also a defensive coach by trade, granted he has been a HC for forever.
2017: 3500 rushing yards 6.3 ypc
2018: 2300 rushing yards 4.6 ypc

so apparently both running games fell off this year. Interesting, the eyeball test told me ND had a really good running game.

Recruiting wise, they're both pretty damn good. Long probably gets bonus points for being a RC at ASU so he already knows where we should be recruiting.

Day had the interim HC experience earlier this year, although not sure how much weight that should be given. Not a negative really, but it's not like Urban took a siesta while Day ran the ship.

S&P offense:
Long
2016 Memphis: 37th overall (also they were #1 in S&P ST that year, find that ST coach and lets get that guy)
2017 ND: 24th (pretty decent considering Winbush was their QB and had a 49% completion percentage that year)
2018 ND: 29th

Day
2017 OSU: 7th (run oriented with JT Barrett as their QB)
2018 OSU: 4th

I think the case can be made you know Long will do more with less, maybe Day would too, but we just don't know.

Conclusion: I think I like the ceiling of Day a little more, but without knowing what either personality is like, could still be swayed.

so trying to figure out why we'd want Long over Ryan Day

Day's offense is more high powered and flashy, but running game is weak this year. Maybe it wouldn't be as great without a top tier NFL QB? FWIW it was top notch last year.
2017: 3400 rushing yards 5.8 ypc
2018: 2200 rushing yards 4.4 ypc

Long's offenses at ND have been more run oriented, painfully so until Ian Book became the QB for them this year. I didn't think his offense was as flashy, but it was unique and ingenuitive. He also came into a situation at ND that wasn't great (Kelly was borderline about to be fired) and helped turn it around. Brian Kelly is also a defensive coach by trade, granted he has been a HC for forever.
2017: 3500 rushing yards 6.3 ypc
2018: 2300 rushing yards 4.6 ypc

so apparently both running games fell off this year. Interesting, the eyeball test told me ND had a really good running game.

Recruiting wise, they're both pretty damn good. Long probably gets bonus points for being a RC at ASU so he already knows where we should be recruiting.

Day had the interim HC experience earlier this year, although not sure how much weight that should be given. Not a negative really, but it's not like Urban took a siesta while Day ran the ship.

S&P offense:
Long
2016 Memphis: 37th overall (also they were #1 in S&P ST that year, find that ST coach and lets get that guy)
2017 ND: 24th (pretty decent considering Winbush was their QB and had a 49% completion percentage that year)
2018 ND: 29th

Day
2017 OSU: 7th (run oriented with JT Barrett as their QB)
2018 OSU: 4th

I think the case can be made you know Long will do more with less, maybe Day would too, but we just don't know.

Conclusion: I think I like the ceiling of Day a little more, but without knowing what either personality is like, could still be swayed.
fwiw, I prefer Day to Long.

I don't necessarily equate having the title "recruiting coordinator" and "good recruiter". It doesn't always work that way. I had a neighbor once who was the RC for CSU and I had to teach him to use the internet. Let's just say he's done nothing but move down since that job.

Back