What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coach Prime Needs To Find House 1 Mile From Campus

Okay. That's not what it means, which is maybe why it is under the "informal" (also known as "incorrect") definition and not the, you know, actual definition.

There is a difference between a definition and acknowledging that a lot of people use a word incorrectly.

Also note how the word "literally" is used correctly in the (informal) definition that you provided. That should blow your mind, but it probably won't.
How do you feel about the common (mis)usage of “begs the question” and “peruse”? Just checking for other triggers

Okay. That's not what it means, which is maybe why it is under the "informal" (also known as "incorrect") definition and not the, you know, actual definition.

There is a difference between a definition and acknowledging that a lot of people use a word incorrectly.

Also note how the word "literally" is used correctly in the (informal) definition that you provided. That should blow your mind, but it probably won't.
With tongue somewhat in cheek, I'd note you are falling behind the times. In 2022, the OED "word of the year" was "Goblin Mode", in 2021, "Vax". You should write the OED people and tell them they don't understand words. Popular usage is as important, as your book-learning. As Mr Freewheelin' used to say, "the times they are a changin".

Do you tell your kids they can't use "bad", to mean something is good? Holy ****!

With tongue somewhat in cheek, I'd note you are falling behind the times. In 2022, the OED "word of the year" was "Goblin Mode", in 2021, "Vax". You should write the OED people and tell them they don't understand words. Popular usage is as important, as your book-learning. As Mr Freewheelin' used to say, "the times they are a changin".

Do you tell your kids they can't use "bad", to mean something is good? Holy ****!
UK is literally a dumbass

I'm quite comfortable with the evolution of our language. It doesn't bother me that "awesome" doesn't mean what it once did.

However, not all words are equal. Some are better, more effective tools than others in their ability to convey something unique. "Literally" was one of the most surgical words in the English language, and frankly, there isn't another word that can quite replace it.

My energy isn't about the general evolution of language, it's about the loss of a particular word.

Also, in the CU Rec Center - about 15 minutes ago - I heard a young woman (presumably a student) say, "I was literally, like, borderline..." Was that you?

So, because somebody uses the term incorrectly, and others pick up on that and ALSO use it incorrectly, that somehow makes it acceptable?

Taken another step, your example of using the term “bad” to mean good isn’t appropriate, either. In this situation, “bad”’is merely an abbreviated form of “badass”. “Badass” is another way of saying “awesome or impressive; worthy of admiration”.

hokie’d

So, because somebody uses the term incorrectly, and others pick up on that and ALSO use it incorrectly, that somehow makes it acceptable?

Taken another step, your example of using the term “bad” to mean good isn’t appropriate, either. In this situation, “bad”’is merely an abbreviated form of “badass”. “Badass” is another way of saying “awesome or impressive; worthy of admiration”.

hokie’d
A couple of truly uptight people here. Who are you to say "informal" uses, as found in every dictionary, are "Unacceptable"? Seriously. Unacceptable to who?

As the OED examples make clear, what was in your grammer school primers, no longer rules. I'm old, and the term "stuffed shirt" comes to mind with you guys..
Relax - go look for spelling errors to correct.

A couple of truly uptight people here. Who are you to say "informal" uses, as found in every dictionary, are "Unacceptable"? Seriously. Unacceptable to who?

As the OED examples make clear, what was in your grammer school primers, no longer rules. I'm old, and the term "stuffed shirt" comes to mind with you guys..
Relax - go look for spelling errors to correct.
*whom

I'm with @Uncle Ken on this one.

"Literally" and "figuratively" have very specific and precise definitions. They are antonyms.

People using "literally" to mean "figuratively, but with extra emphasis" is something that used to be the way only Valley Girls and other airheads talked.

I'm with @Uncle Ken on this one.

"Literally" and "figuratively" have very specific and precise definitions. They are antonyms.

People using "literally" to mean "figuratively, but with extra emphasis" is something that used to be the way only Valley Girls and other airheads talked.
“Irregardless” of the thread title, enjoying the English lesson 😜

Why in the world would you want to use or defend the use of literally incorrectly? The english language has tons of great words to emphasize something that don't mislead your audience

Maybe we can get into these language usage discussions after we can get otherwise intelligent people to stop putting an "s" on the end of the word "anyway".

Last edited:
I'm quite comfortable with the evolution of our language. It doesn't bother me that "awesome" doesn't mean what it once did.

However, not all words are equal. Some are better, more effective tools than others in their ability to convey something unique. "Literally" was one of the most surgical words in the English language, and frankly, there isn't another word that can quite replace it.

My energy isn't about the general evolution of language, it's about the loss of a particular word.

Also, in the CU Rec Center - about 15 minutes ago - I heard a young woman (presumably a student) say, "I was literally, like, borderline..." Was that you?
This whole discussion has made me realize that this site really needs to be renamed. AllBuffs neither includes literally all the Buffs in the world, nor are all the topics on this site Buffs related. It should be called SomeBuffs.com

I'm literally shocked about how many people "have never heard of" geothermal heating and cooling for homes.

I mean really? It's 30-40 year old tech at this point.
We put geothermal in the Fire Island Fairy building in Long Island. I was surprised that geothermal was a viable option on Long Island but it certainly was.

We put geothermal in the Fire Island Fairy building in Long Island. I was surprised that geothermal was a viable option on Long Island but it certainly was.
Decades ago, I remember a friend's parents putting in geothermal. The up-front was high and it wouldn't have made financial sense if they didn't know they were going to stay in that home for a lot of years. If it's still like that, the only way geothermal gets popular is if there are government rebates and offsets.

Decades ago, I remember a friend's parents putting in geothermal. The up-front was high and it wouldn't have made financial sense if they didn't know they were going to stay in that home for a lot of years. If it's still like that, the only way geothermal gets popular is if there are government rebates and offsets.
Already popular.

Already popular.

Those are a bit different. Geothermal involves pulling gw thru water wells, typically a supply well and then a return well. The water goes thru a heat exchange and if open loop is discharged back into the aquifer. So you have two wells on the property, hence the high up front cost.
What is is growing in popularity is noted above, the heat exchange is done by ambient air and condenser units against the house, kinda looks like an ac unit. Recent advances in technology makes the air heat pump systems effective in producing heat for homes down to -20 which is opening up is use in northern and colder climates, they have typically been a southern thing until now. These systems are compact and cost effective. Versatile also, can be installed in houses with no duct work or retrofitted into existing duct work.

Geothermal systems are prohibitively expensive for most homeowners.

We see lots of geothermal radiant go in to the big mountain house new con with wells/ponds on property. Radiant geothermal throughout the house and driveway is seriously deluxe and highly recommend if you can afford it

Back