What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado RPI Watch

Dayton goes to 12-7 with a home win against Duquesne.

Baylor now 14-5 after destroying TCU. (No such thing as a bad road win.)

Northern Arizona collapsed in the 2nd half to fall at home to North Dakota and is now 7-13.

Kansas took care of business at home vs a pretty good Oklahoma team to push its record to 18-1.

Murray State 15-4 is struggling a bit at Jacksonville State 13-7. They're down 21-30 at the half. Game is on ESFC, whatever that is.

In P12 play, Arizona State is now 16-4 (5-2) after handling UCLA 16-5 (6-2) in Tempe.

Oregon State 11-8 (1-5) and Washington State 10-9 (1-5) are in a close one on P12N in Corvalis. 43-39 OSU with 15 minutes left.

Buffs need to string some wins together because the conference leaders are coming back to us.

Murray State loses at Jacksonville State at the last second, 65-64. Racers fall to 15-5 (6-2). Unfortunately, with the way Murray State is playing lately, that may offer little to us in the "quality win" category. May not even count as a top 100 win.

Murray State (15-5) couldn't complete the comeback at Jacksonville State, falling 64-65. ****.

With the way we play on the road, I wouldn't count ANY on any win as guaranteed. Until proven otherwise, we are one of the worst road BCS teams in the country.

Oregon State still has talent and can get hot from outside, in addition, Moreland is returning to form, so that won't be easy as people think. I hope the wheels are off because I want road wins any way we can get them.

Utah has shown the ability to compete against more talented teams all year (almost beating UCLA, ASU, Zona), so we have to come ready to play against both teams.

Based on talent alone, we should win, but that doesn't mean anything on the road.

Actually, for some reason, I think we matchup very well with Oregon, and they are definitely beatable IMO. They aren't used to being the hunted, and Kazemi will be neutralized against Roberson.

If we can go 3-1 these next four games, we will be in prime position for a top 4 finish with 5/7 games left at home.

Last edited:
With the way we play on the road, I wouldn't count ANY on any win as guaranteed. Until proven otherwise, we are one of the worst road BCS teams in the country.

Oregon State still has talent and can get hot from outside, in addition, Moreland is returning to form, so that won't be easy as people think. I hope the wheels are off because I want road wins any way we can get them.

Utah has shown the ability to compete against more talented teams all year (almost beating UCLA, ASU, Zona), so we have to come ready to play against both teams.

Based on talent alone, we should win, but that doesn't mean anything on the road.

Actually, for some reason, I think we matchup very well with Oregon, and they are definitely beatable IMO. They aren't used to being the hunted, and Kazemi will be neutralized against Roberson.

If we can go 3-1 these next four games, we will be in prime position for a top 4 finish with 5/7 games left at home.
Alright, this is starting to go a little too far. We're not a good road team, but one of the worst BCS road teams? All 5 road losses were against pretty solid teams, and I really think we would've won at least one of the ASU/Washington games had we not been suffering from the Tucson hangover. This is a young team that finally got back on track last night and I'd fully expect them to pick up a few road wins down the stretch.

Alright, this is starting to go a little too far. We're not a good road team, but one of the worst BCS road teams? All 5 road losses were against pretty solid teams, and I really think we would've won at least one of the ASU/Washington games had we not been suffering from the Tucson hangover. This is a young team that finally got back on track last night and I'd fully expect them to pick up a few road wins down the stretch.

Yeah, we're actually like most teams who are around the level we are: good at home, and typically beat the worst teams in the conference away. We were 3-6 away in conference play last year, and this year we're on track to do about the same. The loss at ASU is becoming a lot more forgivable given their play. So we've beaten Wazzu, and still have Utah, Oregon State and a moderate chance to beat Cal or Stanford. That's just how college basketball tends to work. Teams like Oregon who are seemingly better away than at home are very much the exception to the rule. Aside from them, it's mostly the elite of college basketball who beat good teams away consistently. And even then, you see what happens on the road: Duke losing by 27. Louisville struggling and losing back to back. Syracuse losing.

Oregon improved to 18-2 (7-0) with a 81-76 win over Washington 12-8 (4-3) in Eugene. Oregon travels to the Bay Area next week before coming home to face CU. That's a fairly tough stretch, we'll see how they fare with the injury. Meanwhile, Washington has hit the meat of their schedule, as the Huskies play Arizona soon. If the Buffs play well, we should be passing Washington in the standings here shortly.

Arizona 17-2 (5-2) bounced back with a 74-50 win over USC 8-13 (3-5) in Tucson. On the flipside, @Washingston won't necessarily be smooth sailing for Arizona, either. They've looked shaky at times, if the Huskies decide to show up, it should be a good game.

Air Force 12-6 (3-2) wins 57-48 at Wyoming 15-4 (2-4). This one really hurts Wyoming's hopes of the Big Dance. The Pokes are sliding, having lost 4/6 after that 13-0 start. They've now lost to Boise State and Air Force at home, and also have a bad loss at Fresno State. Basically, the MWC is eating them alive right now. Perfect example of how weak OOC schedules aren't the answer in preparing for a tough conference. Wyoming needs conference wins, and badly, but they have to face New Mexico next before traveling to Colorado State. Those are golden opportunities to get a big win and get back in the tournament discussion, but it also means they could very well be 2-6 and totally out of the discussion.

Texas Southern gets an 89-56 home win over Alabama A&M. Texas Southern is now 7-14 (6-2). They're in 3rd in the SWAC. This is identical to what they did last year -- absolutely obliterated OOC, yet competing to win the conference. Of the 10 teams in the SWAC, 9 have losing records. This is what OOC paydays at the big schools do to the smallest conferences like the SWAC.

Last edited:
ASU is apparently for real after all. I'm pretty surprised they thumped UCLA like they did.

Sendek has them playing much better. However, they've had a very lopsided home-heavy Pac-12 slate thus far, and have been the beneficiary of getting the best teams in the pair after they face Arizona (i.e. UCLA today). With 7 of their final 11 conference games on the road, we'll have to see how they hold up. Still, Sendek is a good coach and has them playing well right now, no doubt. Our loss at ASU seems a little more understandable now.

Colorado State gets the 74-63 win at Fresno State. Rams improve to 16-4 (3-2), Bulldogs fall to 7-12 (1-5). It's a complete logjam in the Mountain West right now.

Air Force 12-6 (3-2) wins 57-48 at Wyoming 15-4 (2-4). This one really hurts Wyoming's hopes of the Big Dance. The Pokes are sliding, having lost 4/6 after that 13-0 start. They've now lost to Boise State and Air Force at home, and also have a bad loss at Fresno State. Basically, the MWC is eating them alive right now. Perfect example of how weak OOC schedules aren't the answer in preparing for a tough conference. Wyoming needs conference wins, and badly, but they have to face New Mexico next before traveling to Colorado State. Those are golden opportunities to get a big win and get back in the tournament discussion, but it also means they could very well be 2-6 and totally out of the discussion.

I don't know how lucky the Pokes will be next week without Martinez. That bar fight/broken hand is really a killer.

Utah 9-10 (1-6) hosts Stanford 11-8 (2-3). Good opportunity to see Utah in action on their home court. Utes don't have talent, but they're scrappy and can catch you sleepwalking. Stanford should win this based on talent. Must-win for Stanford to stay in the middle of the Pac...with Oregon next and @ Arizona looming, a loss tonight could really bury them in the bottom half and be tough to recover from.

Utah so far in the first 3min have looked terrible. Also their arena is empty.
Man that is the most empty arena i have seen in a long time. Makes me really kinda sad. The players work their butt off to get to the D-1 level only to have your home stadium completely empty.
Edit: apparently there is a big snow storm and is very tough and unsafe to get to the stadium.

just like in Colorado, people in Utah are used to the snowy weather. These announcers are from cali. I know snow would impact attendance, even here, but the amount of people in that arena is extremely disappointing

I remember once leaving home for a women's basketball game in an ice storm, after doing two 360's before I even got close to campus, I went home.

I did go once in fog so dense that the referee was outside on the sidewalk and asked where the building was. You could not see it. We were right in front of it. Then she called a crap game and I wished I hadn't shown her where the entrance was.

just like in Colorado, people in Utah are used to the snowy weather. These announcers are from cali. I know snow would impact attendance, even here, but the amount of people in that arena is extremely disappointing

UU is in not anywhere the degree of BYU, but still I think that playing on Sunday in Utah is an issue.

Man that is the most empty arena i have seen in a long time. Makes me really kinda sad. The players work their butt off to get to the D-1 level only to have your home stadium completely empty.
Edit: apparently there is a big snow storm and is very tough and unsafe to get to the stadium.

Their arena seats 23,000. Even if you're really good, it's hard to fill a 23k arena unless you're Kentucky (for example, North Carolina doesn't even fill the Dean Dome much of the time, Tennessee is always playing in an empty Thompson-Bolling)

Stanford wins 87-56 at Utah. Cardinal improve to 12-8 (3-4), Utes fall to 9-11 (1-7). We need to knock Utah out early. Don't let them hang around and scrap. Make it clear they can't match our talent and demoralize them. Basically, do what Stanford did today. If they can do it, so can we.

Hopefully this is the type of home loss that really crushes Utah's ability to put up determined fights against better Pac-12 opposition.

Last edited:
Their arena seats 23,000. Even if you're really good, it's hard to fill a 23k arena unless you're Kentucky (for example, North Carolina doesn't even fill the Dean Dome much of the time, Tennessee is always playing in an empty Thompson-Bolling)
You're thinking of BYU. The Huntsman Center seats more like 15,000 - still a big place.

Given the discussion of Utah's attendance, here is what they've drawn for their Pac-12 home games thus far:

January 10th: UCLA. 9,510 (L 57-53)

January 12th: USC: 11,027 (L 76-59)

January 24th: Cal: 8,880 (L 62-57)

January 24th: Stanford: 7,769 (L 87-54)

And yeah, they haven't won a Pac-12 home game yet. My hope is that getting slaughtered by Stanford at home has completely demoralized them. It's going to be one of those dead environments where the Buffs have to create their own energy. Keep in mind that Utah lost @ Arizona by 3, @ ASU by 1 in OT, to UCLA by 4, won @ Washington by 9. However, their lack of depth and the losing appears to be taking its toll. This is a team that knows their only chance to win is to scrap and out-hustle opposition by a big margin, and they've hung around and/or beaten teams prone to laziness. We need to do what USC and Stanford did: make it clear early that Utah just doesn't have the talent to compete. Build an early lead. This is a game we simply have to win in order to be an NCAA Tournament team.

Actually impressive numbers for how terrible they are this year. Arizona State is averaging a bit over 5k and are having their best season in years.

Actually impressive numbers for how terrible they are this year. Arizona State is averaging a bit over 5k and are having their best season in years.

Pac as a whole is just bad in attendance. Only 1-2 schools can match/exceed the attendance/noise we've brought at the Keg since we joined the conference. Obviously Arizona is solid. Washington can bring it at times, but it's been bad this year. Oregon is starting to draw in the bandwagoners at this point, although they've had bad attendance overall in that new arena. Stanford has one of the tiniest arenas of any power conference school in the country, but it used to be a tough place to play during Monty's peak years, though that has drastically waned. Cal is your average Pac-12 gym. Wazzu wasn't an easy place under Bennett, but now it's empty. Oregon State is unsurprisingly empty given their lack of success. USC draws 5k on a good day, about the worst attendance you'll find of any power conference team despite a sparkling new arena. Arizona State lacks basketball interest, this year is especially bad after being picked 11th preseason and no one bought season tickets. UCLA should draw far better than they do given their pedigree, but the renovated Pauley is at least helping them draw better for now. Utah has drawn decent attendance considering how atrocious they are, if the Utes ever get back to being pretty solid they will draw some of the best attendance in the Pac and it won't be an easy place to play.

We've got some historic gyms in the Pac, but even our big name tradition schools UCLA and Arizona don't offer anything along the lines of a Phog or Cameron IMO. As a whole, this conference is way behind the other power conferences in terms of offering numerous hostile environments (like, the Big XII days of Hilton being packed, Bramlage, etc)...those are the exception to the rule in the Pac at this point in time but that will start to change as the Pac continues to improve (although some of that West Coast apathy will always probably be there) And honestly, given our Buffs needing to find their footing on the road, I'm perfectly fine with that for now.

Last edited:
*RPIs based on RealTimeRPI.com

RPI | Team | CU Result

Pac-12
#4 Arizona (L-a)
#19 Oregon (dnp)
#21 Colorado (14-6)
#32 UCLA (L-h)
#57 Arizona State (L-a)
#73 Washington (L-a)
#75 Stanford (W-h)
#80 Cal (W-h)