What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

Yeah but what's disgusting and incompetent to me is that Chev could be clearly identified as a huge issue by week 5. Week 8 it was GLARINGLY obvious he had to go. RG and Duhrell can't see further than 6 inches in front of their face. The fact that other equally as bad programs like CSU and ***braska have already gone out and solved some problems before CU even gets out of the gate really says it all.

I swear it's like neither RG nor Duhrell have any intuition about how to do anything with the proper sense of urgency. Maybe we should be careful what we ask for, because last time RG acted with any urgency we got Duhrell.
We make fun of the Sheep and rightly so, but they got a stadium built and are able to hire and fire coaches in a timely manner. Maybe CSU could put on a day seminar at a Holiday Inn Express for the timid souls that run CU….

Yeah but what's disgusting and incompetent to me is that Chev could be clearly identified as a huge issue by week 5. Week 8 it was GLARINGLY obvious he had to go. RG and Duhrell can't see further than 6 inches in front of their face. The fact that other equally as bad programs like CSU and ***braska have already gone out and solved some problems before CU even gets out of the gate really says it all.

I swear it's like neither RG nor Duhrell have any intuition about how to do anything with the proper sense of urgency. Maybe we should be careful what we ask for, because last time RG acted with any urgency we got Duhrell.
Having RG panic hire an OC like he did a HC would not be productive. As fans, we really have no idea how the process is going as it's happening behind closed doors and it does the program no benefit (and potentially harm) to leak anything at this point. So while I'm also frustrated that we don't have the answer yet, I in no way want a ready-fire-aim approach to happen.

Lastly, seems like the board got a bit nuts last night with some Dave Logan quip, when Dave hasn't been close to an insider here in an eternity. Particularly because Wristen's team not only has not been an offensive juggernaut, but they haven't been all that good lately either. So while I wonder if (in general) CU will hire an OC from a D-2 school ever, I certainly don't see Rick trying to sell that one right now, period, under any condition.

Just spoke with a buddy who has ties inside the program. This is an Alberts hire all the way and forced on Frost. He wanted a steadying, mature influence on both the offense and the program. It will be Frost's offense, but Whipple will call the plays as a "trusted" coach, so Frost can focus on actually being a head coach - something I guess he had spun further from last seaon.
While I can buy that Trev is pushing this onto Frost, it should be noted that Frost himself suggested that the offense suffered because he had to coach that side because of his succession of incompetent Offensive Staff hires (yes he brought them with him from UCF) while also trying to be the CEO. So he got another year to focus on being the CEO, but that was his angle. Secondly, no way no how you bring in Whipple, an accomplished OC to run Frost's offense. Whipple just lit the east coast on fire with his offense. They didn't hire Whipple to be the QB coach. So I find it amusing that anyone is eating up this horse ****.

Having RG panic hire an OC like he did a HC would not be productive. As fans, we really have no idea how the process is going as it's happening behind closed doors and it does the program no benefit (and potentially harm) to leak anything at this point. So while I'm also frustrated that we don't have the answer yet, I in no way want a ready-fire-aim approach to happen.

Lastly, seems like the board got a bit nuts last night with some Dave Logan quip, when Dave hasn't been close to an insider here in an eternity. Particularly because Wristen's team not only has not been an offensive juggernaut, but they haven't been all that good lately either. So while I wonder if (in general) CU will hire an OC from a D-2 school ever, I certainly don't see Rick trying to sell that one right now, period, under any condition.
BIG NO to Wristen. He won't be the HC at CSUP much longer. Between the recent losing, the game passing him by and the huge amount of baggage he has down there, I think his career is about done.

We make fun of the Sheep and rightly so, but they got a stadium built and are able to hire and fire coaches in a timely manner. Maybe CSU could put on a day seminar at a Holiday Inn Express for the timid souls that run CU….
If CSU was in our conference with the same resources as us, they would deliver a better product and result than us. I'm 100% convinced of that. Their attitude is much closer to Utah than ours is.

While I can buy that Trev is pushing this onto Frost, it should be noted that Frost himself suggested that the offense suffered because he had to coach that side because of his succession of incompetent Offensive Staff hires (yes he brought them with him from UCF) while also trying to be the CEO. So he got another year to focus on being the CEO, but that was his angle. Secondly, no way no how you bring in Whipple, an accomplished OC to run Frost's offense. Whipple just lit the east coast on fire with his offense. They didn't hire Whipple to be the QB coach. So I find it amusing that anyone is eating up this horse ****.
I'm sure there will be a Whipple influence on the scheme next year, but if you think Frost is going to completely give up the reigns on the offense, you're crazy. Despite his ineptitude, the dude has an ego as big as anyone in CFB.

Plus, I'm still not buying that the Pitt offensive success is 100% tied to Whipple. Maybe 60%.

There's proper urgency and then panic. Panic brought us Duhrell and a poorly negotiated (in panic) contract keeps him here.

The real issue I have is that I have zero confidence that RG and Duhrell have any real, actionable ideas about who to hire, and HOW to actually land them. I wouldn't put any mistake out of the possibility with these two at the helm to be honest. I'll be literally shocked if the hire they come to makes any sense. Hope to be wrong.

There's proper urgency and then panic. Panic brought us Duhrell and a poorly negotiated (in panic) contract keeps him here.

The real issue I have is that I have zero confidence that RG and Duhrell have any real, actionable ideas about who to hire, and HOW to actually land them. I wouldn't put any mistake out of the possibility with these two at the helm to be honest. I'll be literally shocked if the hire they come to makes any sense. Hope to be wrong.
Did they hire him quickly? I thought the search for folks who nobody else wanted took like two weeks or something.

Yeah, the brain trust that went from EB/Sark to HCKD makes me nervous. We'll see. I still put it at about 45% CU ends up with Langsdorf.

I'm sure there will be a Whipple influence on the scheme next year, but if you think Frost is going to completely give up the reigns on the offense, you're crazy. Despite his ineptitude, the dude has an ego as big as anyone in CFB.

Plus, I'm still not buying that the Pitt offensive success is 100% tied to Whipple. Maybe 60%.
I honestly don't think Frost has that leverage left within the AD any longer. I am not even under the belief that he had a ton of input on the hiring of Whipple. Just my gut feel though.

I actually think the bigger issue is who our Ath Dept perceives we are vs how the "market" perceives our program. The delay probably stems from the initial list we have being nowhere based in reality. I'm sure we're getting a bunch of, "thanks for reaching out, but no thanks" responses from our first choices. Once RG has blown through that list, he'll hit those tier 2 and 3 groups and it's then when we'll start getting some traction and some news.

I honestly don't think Frost has that leverage left within the AD any longer. I am not even under the belief that he had a ton of input on the hiring of Whipple. Just my gut feel though.
That's it, Frost had very little, if any say in the Whipple hire. That's what my buddy said. See initial post.

I actually think the bigger issue is who our Ath Dept perceives we are vs how the "market" perceives our program. The delay probably stems from the initial list we have being nowhere based in reality. I'm sure we're getting a bunch of, "thanks for reaching out, but no thanks" responses from our first choices. Once RG has blown through that list, he'll hit those tier 2 and 3 groups and it's then when we'll start getting some traction and some news.
That delusion has plagued the program for 15 years, at least. Couldn't agree more.

This.

I think PD, RG and LC all drink their own kool aid, and it prevents them from arriving at an honest assessment of the program's (and their own) needs and capabilities.

This really is one of those things that I think ultimately flows down from the Chancellor's office, because we see the exact same attitude on the academic side. Just like the AD seems to operate with the delusion that our football program is a peer with Washington, Wisconsin or Iowa, the academic side of the house seems to operate with the delusion that the institution is a peer with Stanford and Berkeley.

An honest evaluation of where we are on both fronts would serve us better, as only then will we be able to take realistic steps to improve, rather than starting out with delusional aspirations and then proceeding to desperate.

Inspired by DeNiro's coaching carousel thread, I took a quick look at who else is looking for an OC at this moment in time (and perhaps to some extent competing with CU):

LSU
Miami
Florida
Va Tech
Auburn
KSU
Oklahoma (Lebby rumored)

It appears that positions are now filled at UW, USC, Notre Dame, Texas Tech, WSU, Minnesota, Indiana, Georgia Tech.

edit:
I should add that many of the filled positions were by default. I'm not implying CU is being beaten to the punch here.

UW - Deboer brought his OC with him from Fresno.
USC - doesn't really use an OC, instead the HC does it (I believe) with the OL coach
Notre Dame - retained OC they had.
Texas Tech - ditto
WSU - ditto
Minnesota - hired their old OC back after a failed run at PSU

Really, only Indiana and GA Tech moved quickly to replace open slots after firing someone.

Last edited:
Inspired by DeNiro's coaching carousel thread, I took a quick look at who else is looking for an OC at this moment in time (and perhaps to some extent competing with CU):

LSU
Miami
Florida
Va Tech
Auburn
KSU
Oklahoma (Lebby rumored)

It appears that positions are now filled at UW, USC, Notre Dame, Texas Tech, WSU, Minnesota, Indiana, Georgia Tech.

edit:
I should add that many of the filled positions were by default. I'm not implying CU is being beaten to the punch here.

UW - Deboer brought his OC with him from Fresno.
USC - doesn't really use an OC, instead the HC does it (I believe) with the OL coach
Notre Dame - retained OC they had.
Texas Tech - ditto
WSU - ditto
Minnesota - hired their old OC back after a failed run at PSU

Really, only Indiana and GA Tech moved quickly to replace open slots after firing someone.
Umm, you kinda have a survivorship bias in how you selected your sample.

By only considering schools that are, using your words, "looking for an OC at this moment in time," you are necessarily excluding schools that have fired and/or otherwise lost *and already hired* the replacement. E.g. the nubs.

And for the ones you list as "open," you're not considering the date at which they are "open" and/or any sort of hiring process could begin, even the first two on your list show the error in that approach: LSU - their OC search didn't/couldn't start until they got the head guy in place. And Miami? ****, I don't think the new HC's contract has even been printed, let alone the ink dried - ditto with Oklahoma.

Realistically, the Miami and OU jobs now being open shows one of the problems with being slow to hire. Ten days ago we weren't competing with them for an OC, now we are.

Realistically, the Miami and OU jobs now being open shows one of the problems with being slow to hire. Ten days ago we weren't competing with them for an OC, now we are.
Is CU really competing with Miami and OU?

Umm, you kinda have a survivorship bias in how you selected your sample.

By only considering schools that are, using your words, "looking for an OC at this moment in time," you are necessarily excluding schools that have fired and/or otherwise lost *and already hired* the replacement. E.g. the nubs.

And for the ones you list as "open," you're not considering the date at which they are "open" and/or any sort of hiring process could begin, even the first two on your list show the error in that approach: LSU - their OC search didn't/couldn't start until they got the head guy in place. And Miami? ****, I don't think the new HC's contract has even been printed, let alone the ink dried - ditto with Oklahoma.

No, I simply looked at the open jobs and tried to come up with a list of who we were competing with. If I saw that they'd fired an OC or their HC, I considered them. Not sure how I missed the NUBS! I'm trying to hold down a day job too, so I put this together fast during lunch.

And I'm not trying to suggest any comparison of how slow or fast we are moving, just really trying to compile a list of who might be looking for an OC and how those dominoes may or may not effect our search.

No, and yes.

The fact that they're now in the market means that there are likely to be new openings in the tier in which CU is directly competing, which further incentivizes CU's targets to slow play any offer.

It's not directly analogous, but the Whipple/Marion situation is illustrative. Once Whipple left there's a new opening at a school that is fishing in the same pond as CU, and while Marion isn't likely to be realistically competitive for the Miami or OU position when they do make their hires, there's a reasonable chance that their moves will create additional open positions for which Marion would be competitive.

The longer the process takes, the more likely it is that the best candidates get hired by someone else.

CU is going to be in a very tough spot given we are in year 3 of a coach who has to be considered on the hot-seat, we have no real QB pipeline at the moment and a really ****ty Offensive Line and several poor years of recruiting behind that (Even Kap's class sucked). So no, we are not competing with those guys.

I'd suggest that realistically, some big dominos will fall like OU, LSU etc and then those moves will open up jobs at places that we really do need to compete at. So waiting is not in our favor by any means.

edit: or essentially what Skibum said

No, I simply looked at the open jobs and tried to come up with a list of who we were competing with. If I saw that they'd fired an OC or their HC, I considered them. Not sure how I missed the NUBS! I'm trying to hold down a day job too, so I put this together fast during lunch.

And I'm not trying to suggest any comparison of how slow or fast we are moving, just really trying to compile a list of who might be looking for an OC and how those dominoes may or may not effect our search.
Don’t gotta worry about the “big boys” when RG and KD are making a hire…

good mythical morning agree GIF by Rhett and Link

So here's the list of schools that could impact us (updated). In other words, schools we might be competing with or schools fishing in better waters than us that could create an opening that we then have to compete with

LSU
Miami
Florida
Va Tech
Auburn
KSU
Ole Miss
Pitt

So here's the list of schools that could impact us (updated). In other words, schools we might be competing with or schools fishing in better waters than us that could create an opening that we then have to compete with

LSU
Miami
Florida
Va Tech
Auburn
KSU
Ole Miss
Pitt
If you're doing this lefty style, I would add a "potential opening" list that is populated by the schools who have vacant HC positions. We all know that a plurality if not majority of those schools will also be hiring an OC soon, and we'll be competing with them (or the second order effects of them).

The biggest name on that list for second order effects is Oregon, and there's a non-zero chance that we're going head to head with Virginia, and, ugh, Duke.

LSU
Miami
Florida
Va Tech
Auburn
KSU
Ole Miss
Pitt
You are all missing the point. We are probably not competing with ANY of these schools for the simple fact that a quality, experienced OC that is considering those schools is not considering CU for the points mentioned above - Hot seat HC, bad QBs, bad OL, bad program. I'll also add to that we most likely can't compete with those schools compensation-wise. We probably need to be looking at openings at G5 schools for a comparable assesment.

Back